Herman Miller
www.hermanmiller.com Zeeland, MI 5000+ Employees

Herman Miller Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Herman Miller – Zeeland – “Embody Office Chair”

Herman Miller President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Walker

Brian C. Walker

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is great (if you can handle it) and the products are amazing"
    in 14 reviews
  • "they have good benefits, good salaries and great people"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communications are on a once a month basis With Middle management , and once a quarter with someone in a Senior management position"
    in 3 reviews
  • "If you aren't in Michigan (or close) you can easily be forgotten about"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Company That Really Cares

Product Management (Current Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsEmployees come first. That combined with world class products and design history make for a very interesting place to work.

ConsStill some departmental silos, but changing quickly to become more respondent to change and producing products faster and faster while still leading the industry with marketing materials.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

my time at miller

Market Manager (Current Employee)
    Stamford, CT

Prosthe trainig at HM is great, upper management does a great job to make sure you are adequetly supported and armed with the tools and knowledge to be succesful. there was never a sense that i was thrust out to the world and left to my own devices. great support team and structure and a sense of family among the sales team.

Consin the beginning it can be very difficult to navigate the structure ofthe company and to find the people you might need to reach in order to accomplish your objectives.

Advice to Senior Managementbegin to seriously invest in the young memebers of the workforce as well as bringing in young fresh blood to the company whose values align with your own. otherwise you wil be playing a shell game with folks from other manufacturers as the existing workforce ages out and you run the risk of losing what it is that makes Herman Miller great and unique. the people who truly believe in the core values.

worked with company for over 10 years

Manager (Current Employee)
    Holland, MI

ProsInnovative design and services; management who lives positive values; works to give back to the community; cares about people in a real way; balances competitiveness and compassion

Consit is a tough industry where people are not working as much in offices as they once did. need to keep figuring out what to do to stay fresh and ahead of the industry

Advice to Senior Managementkeep focusing on the future and give us confidence in where we are going; continue to listen and live the values;

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to build your career

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsIt's amazing to work for a company that's name alone opens doors...they have good benefits, good salaries and great people.

ConsThe commission plans are convaluted and there are not quite as many perks in the sales offices as at corporate headquarters

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tools for the sales team, and the ability for us to create new tools quickly would really help. Also, spreading more of the benefits to the off site and sales teams would be appreciated.

Once of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsYou are not a number there. Large company with a strong family feel. Opportunity for advancement but you really have to work for it. Fair compensation for the industry.

ConsLayoffs are frequent due to fluctuation in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnything to stabilize job security.

Employee friendly company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsFlexible hours, work/life balance is a real value.

ConsIndustry can be unstable in down market.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to better identify and reward top talent from the rest of the team.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsBeautiful office, great co-workers. I appreciated how everything is natural and sustainable in the office.

ConsThey hire through a third party so some employees are paid hourly and must get signature weekly. That can be a burden. Also, no benefits if hired through a third party.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees. That may decrease turnover.

Design Excellence and Genuine Customer Care

Customer Consultant (Current Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsThis is a great company to work for and to represent. Strong values around developing people, products and protecting the environment.

ConsProcesses and people's roles seem to change often, so sometimes a bit of work to stay caught up, but not unsurmoutable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize success across the organization. Resist the temptation to put too many rules in place.

Lots of interesting people to meet, and pretty stable job if you play your politics right.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the friendliest senior executive staff you'll ever meet, and most of them will meet and chat with you cordially. You will do well if you like to wine and dine, act sophisticated and genuinely enjoy spending time with management and coworkers after hours. Don't expect to put your head down and do your job and expect to keep it.

Cons1. Company is 100 years old, so naturally people working here are around 40-70 years old. Upwards mobility is tough because people literally work here until the day they die. The average employee has worked over 25 years at this company, that is a serious line to wait through.
    2. They have designed some iconic pieces of furniture, but the technology is not perceived as very complex. There will always be a market for it's classic high end furniture, but the company will struggle to maintain any momentum in its contract furniture business as it fights commoditization thought marketing alone rather than tangible product advancements.
    3. Half the job is also maneuvering, carefully choosing who to talk good/bad about, and play politics well - which is a very old school model comparatively to this day and age and not fun. If you don't plan to play hard, don't even bother applying here.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management wants to hire young, but field management doesn't know how to communicate to millennials.

I like my job very much

Sales (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork Life Balance is great

ConsLots of paperwork right now

Advice to Senior ManagementValue customer interaction more than filling out forms

Worked for Herman Miller? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Herman Miller reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Herman Miller CEO Brian C. Walker. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Herman Miller employees.