Herr Foods

Updated August 14, 2014
2.9

James M. Herr

Perspective & Opinion...it's all in who you ask

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has been in business for well over 60 years. They continue to employ over 1500 people who's paychecks don't bounce. They provide retirement funds; medical, dental and vision benefits; wellness programs; just to name a few. It is a family owned and operated business built on Christian values by one man who had a vision and a dream for himself that blossomed into a vision and a dream for many others' successful lives. The people employed here are good people. The bad ones are beginning to be weeded out.

Cons

Working here can be challenging at times, but what job isn't? The company is not as profitable as they would have hoped to have been this year but again, what company is? At times, the company is "slow" to change in regards to products, marketing, advertising, etc. But 'slowly' that is starting to change. There is always room for improvement in ourselves and in the business.
    One of the biggest "Cons" that is happening now with the company is that there are some people who have been here for a long time (10+ years) who are unhappy with the changes that the company is making. They are content with how things have been done in the past and don't like that the new generation of Upper Management are changing things. So, no, you cannot get away with taking a 25 minute paid break when you are supposed to get 15 minutes, and no, you cannot just stand around on the clock as you could have gotten away with in the past. You have to actually "work" for your money while on the clock now.
    For the RSP's, I get it, your job is not easy. You work really long hours. You deal with the elements and unfortunately you deal with the stuff that rolls downhill to you. But you should know that a lot of what rolls down to you gets lost in translation. Like whisper down the lane. You are not given all of the info and you end up with a bad taste in your mouth for upper management. If you have questions, ASK instead of complaining to all the wrong people. All that does is lower morale and make your work conditions worse. You have the ability to make as much money as you'd like seeing as you are primarily paid on commission, if you don't have the tools you need from the company to make that happen, speak up.
    It may come as a surprise to some, but Upper Management does actually care about you, your families and your quality of life. The company cannot pay you more money if the company is not making more money. You can't spend what you don't have. Times are rough economically across the board, you're not the only ones. If you're unhappy or need more money to support yourself and family, you should probably look elsewhere for employment, you didn't sign a contract. They are not "gunning" for you personally, their jobs are to evaluate the company as a whole. If something isn't working it needs to be fixed. They are good people, but they are having to make difficult decisions. It's not personal, it's business.

My advice to upper management is 1.)"listen" to your employees. They are the ones on the front lines each day, in the stores, on the phones, talking and interacting with customers and consumers. They can shed light on work conditions, economic conditions, market trends, etc. better than what you are reading in some magazine or newspaper article. LISTEN to them. Take time to go to the branches and LISTEN to what these guys are saying. 2.) Stop trying to be something that you are so obviously not. We are NOT Frito Lay, we never will be and we shouldn't want to be. We are not even in the position where we should be trying to compete with these other companies. 3.) Back to the basics. We should start paying more attention to ourselves. Figure out what we are best at and really focus on that. Our core items built this company yet they fall by the wayside. Coming up with new and innovate products is great but all of this resale stuff has got to go! 4.) Show your employees that you appreciate them. Reallocate wherever you have to so that it is possible to give small increases to your employees where deserved. RSP's have not had a base salary increase...EVER. It is a stab to their hear when they hear that the new guys are making more in base pay followed up with the statement "it's only fair because they will be making less commission than a veteran with experience and an established route" that is not always true. And change the bonus structure so that it is actually attainable. Spice it up and make them want to work harder for you. 5.) Re-evaluate the positions at corp. headquarters. There are people there who (sadly) could be removed with no harm done to the company as a whole. Nothing personal, business is business. Scanning the internet and having personal conversations with other coworkers all day (seriously, all day) is probably not spending much needed money the best way. Walk around and see for yourself. Or grab some popcorn and sit and watch your video surveillance tapes for an hour or two... 6.) Lastly, but very importantly, STOP with all the meetings...talk about wasted productivity! Having meetings to discuss meetings to review the last meeting is insanity. Really, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The results are always the same, let's set up another meeting. Trust the people you have hired to make decisions and run departments, stop it with the meetings and let them get back to actually doing their jobs. Try it out, see if you see a difference. What harm can it do?

sinking fast

Current Employee - Route Sales in Perryopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Perryopolis, PA

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

weekends off (except holidays), Sick Days (not heard of in most other route sales jobs) The company really has a good heart, but has completely lost it's focus on core items.

Cons

lost focus, poor marketing, awful medical benefits, poor work-life balance, miserable pay, trying to build their business on other people's products which are only approved in crappy accounts.
    These guys just don't get it. They spend more money and time worrying about small accounts which will make $10 a week than spending that money on promotions where the product will sell. The competition is promoting the heck out of their products, and building scan based data to gain space, while we sit on usually some of the highest retails and then jam the hell out of accounts that will not turn the product, or get you market sales data. The constant push to sell things you know won't sell in your market, then the ear beating you take because the same items became returns is almost unbearable. I have been in this business for a very long time, and sadly, have watched Herr's market share consistently go the wrong direction. Space in the busiest accounts on the market either doesn't exist, or continues to shrink...but there is plenty of space in the drug stores, which stale as much or more than they sell. I truly liked this job, even with the horrible hours spent selling to every pizza shop, beer store, and gas station but the situation is getting very grim.. There is more gas, stale, and time spent servicing these accounts than the said benefits being reaped. Turn over is very high, and the managers are always glorified route runners. I wouldn't take the work load that they have to deal with for $100k a year. The guys manage to stay positive, somehow, but work basically every day of the week, including Sundays and holidays. The upper Management seems to have blinders on, and want to blame everything on the lower managers and the route people. Although we are considered Sales, the reality of this business is you are a rack jammer, as fitting 20+ accounts a day takes any chance of you coming back to talk to a manager, PLUS, most corporate accounts have space allocated thru corporate, which the key account people never seem to manage to land those allocations.

Quit trying to be Frito Lay, and build off core items. promote products at better retails in BIG box accounts more regularly. consider limiting sales to accounts under $40 a week profit. Make routes more sustainable so that Managers can help route people, instead of having to always cover open routes. Limit off brand items, as this isn't helping build exposure for Herr's.

Not a great place at all

I have been working at Herr Foods

Pros

Outside every day that's about it.

Cons

Nasty store receivers
    Very uncomfortable trucks
    Low pay to hours ratio
    An out of touch Manager
    Too much butt kissing here
    There's like one guy here who's happy
      all the time, the rest ? Zombie like state.
    Holiday weeks are very stressful. We
      Employees get it, it's all about money
      but geeze relax we're not brokering
      Mid East peace we're selling snacks.

Understand your employees are overworked and underpaid.

Family Business

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time

Pros

Herr's employees are dedicated to making the best snacks possible. The pay scale is good for some jobs, fair for others and probably low for some jobs. Herr's is one of the largest employers in Chester County.

Cons

The pay could be higher for most jobs. As the company has grown the way that employees are hired, motivated and the evaluation process has changed.

The upper management should think about the employees that have to struggle each week to pay their bills.

Pretty Good

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All management has been promoted from within so they've walked in your shoes. All in all not a bad company- it shows with all the people who have worked there 10,20 or 30 plus years.

Cons

Sometimes long hours for new employees. They get better with experience.

Come visit us more.

Family Company....NOT

Current Employee - Route Sales in Oakland, NJ
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Oakland, NJ

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a job but that's about it.

Cons

Long hours, not much pay. No family life.

Branch manager has no clue that morale is very low in branch. Branch manager only seems to care about himself and cover his ass. Wants us to give all we have but give nothing in return. Numbers is all that matters. It seems as if you are a buttkisser you get what you want. Management needs to pay more attention and listen and react to what we are saying. DM's are overworked but do care about their districts. Branch manager needs to step up and help out more in all areas. Great at delegating.....

A disaster plain and simple

Former Employee - Route Sales in Oakland, NJ
    Former Employee - Route Sales in Oakland, NJ

I worked at Herr Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers are helpful and friendly

Cons

Hours are ridiculous
    Trucks are ice cold and probably an oven in the summer.
    End of day is annoying
    Dealing with the store receivers is a joke.
    You're not 'selling' anything , you're driving and delivering, period.
    You better come back smiling and happy as a clam after being on the
    road for 10,11,12 hours or you'll be called in for a meeting.
    A certain DM who knows it all.
    Be prepared to have your temperature taken every day.
    The pay and the amount of time you work and commute
    is criminal.
    The training in PA is nothing but brainwashing pure and
    simple.
    Claim to be a Christian company yet the hours they want
    leaves no time for your family, or anything else for that matter.
    I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy.
    If you want to work long hours, have no life and earn peanuts
    then apply.
    Also the hiring process is more lengthy and intensive than a
    job with the CIA. Prepare for 4 interviews and a ride along before
    you're granted employment.

A great family owned company.

Current Employee - Route Sales in Nottingham, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Nottingham, PA

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On the road interacting with many different people daily. Great co-workers and supportive management staff. A lot of opportunity to move up within the company. Family owned with great values. Good incentive programs for the route salesmen.

Cons

Often work long hours including Saturdays.

Too much nepotism

I worked at Herr Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company if you're making them money.

Cons

Full time positions seems to be based on age and relatives already in full time positions. Self Insured. Hard to get full time if you are older.

Need to evaluate management by employees. Years of service as a route salesman does not replace management skills. Promotions should not be up to just one person.

Route Sales

Current Employee - Route Sales Person
    Current Employee - Route Sales Person

I have been working at Herr Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outside everyday, potential to interact with different people on a daily basis. Good support from upper management. Some flexibility in schedule.

Cons

Long hours, no quality of homelife. Hard for management to understand that no matter how many new products they add, our clients only have a limited amount of room.

Remember...quality of life!