Hersha Hospitality Reviews

Jay H. Shah

1. Amazing

Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You like hotels? You like hospitality? This is the right place for you to work! Love this place!

Cons

Need longer lunches. Not enough smoke breaks. Sometimes you have to work on your break which isn't cool, at all.

Advice to Management

Management, please give your employees more raises and stuff. We need it! We really do! We love you though, real talk.

2. Intriguing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Workspace situation is great not cramped into a little cubicle... senior executives are only arms length away and can be accessed about anything.

Cons

they expect you to stay late even all the time even yhoigh they won't say it. Some supervisors put on a fake face and will won't tell you the truth.

Advice to Management

Keep everything open and honest. People appreciate truth

3. Lack of trust

Former Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth creates opportunities to implement procedures and create standards across multiple departments Training and support for new hires is pretty strong

Cons

Ownership does not trust staff which creates logjams for approvals and doesn't allow staff to be efficient Pay and benefits below average

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and let them flourish

Unethical, Spiteful, & Negligent

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know I never ever want to work for Hersha.

Cons

I cannot speak for every hersha property but the hotel I worked. Awful, unappreciated, & overworked are words that come to mind. I've been in the industry for quite some time & have never seen treatment of employees be soo poor. Turnover is high throughout the company & though upper management & corporate are aware, they do not care. Intimidation & discipline are used as tools to manage. Pay is low for the work compared to competition. I am incredibly happy to no longer work for them - worst professional experience of my life. Amazes me they haven't been slapped with a class action lawsuit yet. Working conditions were poor & cramped. Hours long with little time off. Managers often & consistently working the line due to high turnover. As stated, very low pay for workload. Word of advice to those considering - there are better opportunities out there. This goes for both line level & management.

Advice to Management

Shape up or ship out. 3rd world labor practices have no place on American soil.

6. Revenue Intern

Pros

Challenging Projects to work on

Cons

High turnover rate in this company

7. wages poor

Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator
    Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator

Pros

Ok place to start as a entry level if your supervisor/manager actually teaches and show you how to do serious tasks that well help you in your career instead of being stuck as a "accounting coordinator" and making wages a 20 year old couldnt live of, even if they lived at home with mom and dad with no bills.

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of work they give. They classified employees as "accounting coordinator " instead of accounts receivable, accounts payable, staff accountant, or anything else so they can pay you a lower wage even though you are doing all of these job titles that require a higher minimum pay.

Advice to Management

Actually read the surveys that hr gives the employees at these location. Visit the properties and see whats really going on and the issues these employees are having with these low wages and why and how these employees have issues with a lot of these supervisors who dont know how to talk to people.

8. Great Growth

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great growth opportunity, you will learn a lot if you have no hospitality background and the people are usually great to work with

Cons

people grow too fast and there is not enough direction. You learn as you go and there is almost no training involved.

Advice to Management

get standards in order and make things black and white. Too many managers at multiple properties have 1 title but do 3 jobs. I understand you're trying to save money but an Executive Housekeeper should not be doing her job, and Accounts receivables, and something else outside of their job title.

9. I would avoid this company at all costs

Former Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always jobs available.

Cons

Above property management keeps getting more corrupt and extremely unprofessional. Poor communication. Feedback is inconsistent. Expectations constantly changing. Management changed regularly/very little consistency at this company. Pay is significantly less than other hotel management companies for the responsibility given.

Advice to Management

Follow High Hotels practice of requiring an in depth personality assessment when hiring employees. Care about who exactly you're putting in leadership roles.

Minus 10 definitely not a 1

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

No Pros to this company!

Cons

West Coast Regional Director of Operations is there #1 Con. Corporate Management make decisions based on hear say and not actual facts

Advice to Management

It be useless to give advice ,they dont care for your advice, they dont listen to your advice.

11. Co-workers are like family

Pros

It's a great place to work because everyone who works here is like family. We have been here way before Hersha was in charge. So we have stuck together.

Cons

The annual raise is only 3%. The company is really cheap when it comes to giving raises.

Advice to Management

If you are willing to pay your employees more then they will be happier at work. Which will result in hard work and great reviews for the hotel. Employee satisfaction is key to a successful business.

RSS Feed </> Embed