Hersha Hospitality

2.1

Jay H. Shah

Growing pains

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great staff on property and amazing regional support. Love my property and the people I work with daily. No matter what is thrown at us, we get through it.

Cons

Corporate staff needs help in the Payroll and IT departments. Need to add more bodies and support for the properties in this area.

Be proactive with hiring instead of reactive. Prepare for growth by hiring in departments that will need it instead of scrambling after the fact.

NA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality (more than 8 years)

Pros

Provide decent work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of communication/feedback from upper management, not focused on development

Don't even waste your time!

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company except they give me a paycheck.

Cons

Where to start...the turnover is the highest I have ever seen! This company is money hungry and doesn't care about their employees whatsoever. Benefits are horrible, bonus structure is a rip off (that's if they even decide to pay the bonus) and the management is extremely dysfunctional.

Treat your employees like you want them to treat your guests!

Great employer

Former Intern - Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everything is good at Hersha hospitality

Cons

None, I can't find Anything wrong to say about Hersha

No room to grow

Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of a pro of working in this company

Cons

Too demanding and low pay.

You're just a number.

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

Personal Growth... so many changes and position open. You will be able to move up

Cons

Benefits. Horrible communication and the company will look-out for itself.

The Walmart of Hospitality

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say. I do not feel valued as an employee. On the upside I do in fact get a paycheck!

Cons

They are such a low cost operator, employees are generally paid way below average which creates more turnover and low morale. Company grew too fast and is buckling beneath its weight at the corporate level. Not enough support for as micromanaging as they try to be. No real training for new hires at any level (line level, supervisor or manager). Roll outs for anything new are reactive instead of proactive which creates chaos. Corporate is also completely disorganized. Hopefully this will change and they learn fast or they will lose employees, myself included.

See "cons" section and learn.

Decent company, I've enjoyed my time.

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

They promote from within and the opportunity for growth is definitely there. They do a great job of making you aware of opportunities as well.

Cons

Wish there were more hotels in their portfolio. There are none in a lot of major cities I would have been interested in moving to. They don't have very many high end or full service hotels either. May be property specific but they do not do very much in the way of employee appreciation or give back to the staff in any way.

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I worked at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great people, great room to grow in your field. Typically an IT position is very centered towards a well defined set of responsibilities and goals, at Hersha the job responsibilities can vary depending on experience and willingness to take on more. Overall - the short time that I spent in their IT department was rewarding with an expansion on multiple knowledge areas.

Cons

Management seems to not know what is going on - ever. While working there I was apart of multiple projects that had seemed to come down to the wire. While working with leadership, it seemed as if they would assign project end dates and tasks with no formal (or any) knowledge of the scope of projects. Many of the times leadership will announce projects late when they remember or find them on their desks weeks after the 'start' of a project. Overall - Management makes it difficult to complete anything.

Advice to Management would be to stop micromanaging small tasks that do not have any impact on the organization, and start focusing on building a stronger leadership skills. Set boundaries for upper level management to focus on their jobs and not basic tasks. Lastly, management needs to stop taking lavish corporate trips when they say that the company is financially cutting back.

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

Cons

Extremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!