Hersha Hospitality

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay H. Shah

Great people, great company

Prossmall company, get to know everyone, and everyone is nice

Conswork can get boring sometimes

Decent company, I've enjoyed my time.

ProsThey promote from within and the opportunity for growth is definitely there. They do a great job of making you aware of opportunities as well.

ConsWish there were more hotels in their portfolio. There are none in a lot of major cities I would have been interested in moving to. They don't have very many high end or full service hotels either. May be property specific but they do not do very much in the way of employee appreciation or give back to the staff in any way.

Positive experience with opportunity for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of HHM's core values is personal growth which I can personally attest to. Within a relatively short period of time and a lot of hard work, I was able to advance to General Manager under great leadership and several mentors. If you wok in NYC, the benefits are great. There are some really great people working for HHM and a number of corporate level associates who really do care about the little guy and development.

ConsPay is not competitive enough to match other hotel management companies. Not all regions are treated with the same care and attention. Although the company has expanded and made strides, there is still a lot of disorganization from the corporate level to the property level. As expected in the hospitality industry, the turnover rate can cause some inconsistencies in leadership, training and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better training infrastructure for new and up-and-coming associates. At the property level, there is sometimes a lack of communication of expectations largely due to poor training. Conduct a wage study for your regions and consider increasing compensation from the bottom up. Other hotel management companies offer at least 12-15% more for comparable positions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management

ProsThe other employees are generally nice to work with.

ConsThe hotel I worked for is poorly managed. Every employee hates it there. There are never enough supplies. Things simply always go wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization.

Good learning experience

Food & Beverage Server (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, DE

ProsGood company to work for. Good company core values that works in the best interest of excellent guest service and great guest satisfaction. Overall good potential for internal promoting.

ConsBenefits and pay aren't that great

Great people, but the work can get redundant

Revenue Management Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-Open door policy
    -Great corporate culture
    -Directors are always willing to help

Cons-Work can get dull and redundant

Lots of autonomy in the execution of duties.

Banquet Staff (Current Employee)
    Saint Pete Beach, Pinellas, FL

ProsNo micromanagement
    Decent hourly pay, considering the skills required.
    Great work environment.
    Great experience to fall back on in tough times.

ConsLong shifts (12-20 hours)
    High variability in hours worked (Sometimes 80 hr/wk, sometimes 12 hrs/wk)
    A field with high demand for competent, consistent workers (Never out of a job).

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great room to grow in your field. Typically an IT position is very centered towards a well defined set of responsibilities and goals, at Hersha the job responsibilities can vary depending on experience and willingness to take on more. Overall - the short time that I spent in their IT department was rewarding with an expansion on multiple knowledge areas.

ConsManagement seems to not know what is going on - ever. While working there I was apart of multiple projects that had seemed to come down to the wire. While working with leadership, it seemed as if they would assign project end dates and tasks with no formal (or any) knowledge of the scope of projects. Many of the times leadership will announce projects late when they remember or find them on their desks weeks after the 'start' of a project. Overall - Management makes it difficult to complete anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Management would be to stop micromanaging small tasks that do not have any impact on the organization, and start focusing on building a stronger leadership skills. Set boundaries for upper level management to focus on their jobs and not basic tasks. Lastly, management needs to stop taking lavish corporate trips when they say that the company is financially cutting back.

Incompetent and unfair management and lots of favoritism

Guest Services (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat opportunities in Urban areas such as New York City and Boston.

ConsIt states in their welcome video that they don't hire because of their degrees or their experience they hire employees because they match well with their company. That states that they will hire anyone with no experience and incompetent people who shouldn't be working in the industry and since i worked with Hersha there was nothing but incompetent people working in hotels that shouldn't be in such positions especially upper management.

Managers have a lot of favoritism towards select employees and give them the best shifts and put other responsibility on others and not compensate them for it.

If your responsible for a mistake and it wasn't only 1 person that's responsible and the second employee was the favorite employee of the manager. You would be held accountable for the mistake and be the only one reprimanded.

Pay is not competitive with other hotels in NYC area and other urban areas

Once your hired in a position its very hard to move up unless your a favored employee

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to go into all properties and speak to their employees and monitor their General Managers and Assistant General Managers.

Raise the compensation to competitive hotels and treat your employees with respect and the company will go far.

Don't support favoritism

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

ProsGreat place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

ConsExtremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

Worked for Hersha Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hersha Hospitality reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hersha Hospitality CEO Jay H. Shah. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Hersha Hospitality employees.