Hersha Hospitality Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
29 reviews filtered by
2.1
Jay H. Shah

Excessive greed, money-hungry management, horrible ethics, obvious presence of sexism, abhorrent "leaders"

Former Intern - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job that pays American currency. Working for HHM, at least at the location I worked for, is possibly better than being unemployed and homeless, but only slightly better.

Cons

They fire people constantly and for nebulous reasoning, non transparency but will claim complete "transparency" in the interview process, huge divide between the higher level management and mid-level management and all employees, higher level management constantly thrives on fear and intimidation to "manage" employees, constant revolving door turnover in every department, be prepared to work for terrible, unethical people who will ask of mid level managers to carry out highly unethical practices. Be prepared if you place a 2 week notice, they take advantage of at-will state status, meaning they will spin your resignation and two week notice into a "discharge" they will ultimately coerce the employee to sign off on so they do not have to pay for 2 weeks. Shady, greedy, unethical, completely unprofessional and upsetting. Be prepared for this to happen, because it happens to everyone that works there once they realize what they walked into and become desperate to get away. You will not get paid for the 2 weeks notice you place. Oh, and your last paycheck which will arrive via mail weeks later, whether it be a resignation or termination, will come in the form of a sketchy no-named pre-paid Visa card which is merely impossible to use anywhere! Just like my time working for them, they must make such simple things so difficult. Getting this sketchy fraud-like card in the mail was one final slap in the face from the company and reminder that they were the most terrible company to work for ever. Period.

Advice to Management

Clean house. All Directors and upper level management are terrible people and managers. Hersha corporate, open up your eyes and see what is happening at your properties! Be more present because shadiness is happening and there are master manipulators who are spinning things in their favor consistently.

The penny stocks of hotels

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

I can honestly not think of a single pro.

Cons

No work life balance. Promises of growth and ethics; hollow delivery. People who have been in company a long time dump blame and work on newer employees. No support. Honor in service? NOT

Advice to Management

Lack of sincere concern is evident. If you think everyone is beneath you, retire and leave the work to people who care. Politics only get you so far, and the high turnover and lack of employee happiness should tell you something.

Don't even waste your time!

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company except they give me a paycheck.

Cons

Where to start...the turnover is the highest I have ever seen! This company is money hungry and doesn't care about their employees whatsoever. Benefits are horrible, bonus structure is a rip off (that's if they even decide to pay the bonus) and the management is extremely dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want them to treat your guests!

The Walmart of Hospitality

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say. I do not feel valued as an employee. On the upside I do in fact get a paycheck!

Cons

They are such a low cost operator, employees are generally paid way below average which creates more turnover and low morale. Company grew too fast and is buckling beneath its weight at the corporate level. Not enough support for as micromanaging as they try to be. No real training for new hires at any level (line level, supervisor or manager). Roll outs for anything new are reactive instead of proactive which creates chaos. Corporate is also completely disorganized. Hopefully this will change and they learn fast or they will lose employees, myself included.

Advice to Management

See "cons" section and learn.

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

Cons

Extremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

Advice to Management

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

Worst Management Company

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No positive attributes about this company

Cons

Upper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Advice to Management

Quit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

exciting ideas but not enough follow through from owners and leaders. lacking reinvestment and disingenuous.

Current Contractor - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Contractor - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leaders are excellent at "talking the talk." They know how to excite a room and convince an audience of their promises. They can generate excitement.

Cons

They have a hard time delivering on their promises. They fail to back up their pitches with action. They manage their hotels from a place of fear. The proper supports do not exist, as the support team is young and inexperienced. The leader are all men (or close to men) and the support seem to be pretty young things; more of a dating pool. A "boys club" that bows down to the owners.

There is a lot of talk about work life balance, but they work employees to death and then push them out.

Advice to Management

Look closely at your regional and vp team. They are all covering each others' messes up. The revenue management and sales teams are not generating the revenue they could. And your operations teams are kept preoccupied acting as secretaries for the vps. Everyone is more concerned with giving the right answers. The love of hospitality is lost.

Listen to your own speeches.

Poorly Staffed and Managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

Cons

You will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Management

Provide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

Worse Company to work for

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of anything nice to put here.

Cons

I work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

Advice to Management

They way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

Area Director of Revenue Management

Former Employee - Area Director of Revenue Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Area Director of Revenue Management in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

best reasons to work here...none

Cons

Corporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

Advice to Management

This company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!