Hersha Hospitality

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay H. Shah

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

ProsGreat place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

ConsExtremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

Worst Management Company

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsNo positive attributes about this company

ConsUpper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

exciting ideas but not enough follow through from owners and leaders. lacking reinvestment and disingenuous.

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsThe leaders are excellent at "talking the talk." They know how to excite a room and convince an audience of their promises. They can generate excitement.

ConsThey have a hard time delivering on their promises. They fail to back up their pitches with action. They manage their hotels from a place of fear. The proper supports do not exist, as the support team is young and inexperienced. The leader are all men (or close to men) and the support seem to be pretty young things; more of a dating pool. A "boys club" that bows down to the owners.

There is a lot of talk about work life balance, but they work employees to death and then push them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at your regional and vp team. They are all covering each others' messes up. The revenue management and sales teams are not generating the revenue they could. And your operations teams are kept preoccupied acting as secretaries for the vps. Everyone is more concerned with giving the right answers. The love of hospitality is lost.

Listen to your own speeches.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly Staffed and Managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

ConsYou will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

Worse Company to work for

ProsI cant think of anything nice to put here.

ConsI work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

Area Director of Revenue Management

Area Director of Revenue Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosbest reasons to work here...none

ConsCorporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!

I worked here for one year and left. Do not recommend this company

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere dont seem to be too many. I guess the regional team that I worked with was nice although they all seemed to be a bit over their heads in the skills they have and the skills they need.

ConsThis company is very "clicky" in that there are two groups. Either you're a long timer and are one of the "boys club" and everyone else. All of the people I talked to in the company tell me how hard it is to break into this click so many people leave after just a year like I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should employ a feedback mechanism to get the employee's feedback. Then, you should be humble enough to hear us and react to the feedback.

NYC Office is unorganized, unprofessional, petty and regressive.

Area Director of Revenue Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReceived NYC & multi-brand experience.

ConsRegional Operations team is underqualified for positions. Office atmosphere is extremely political, male-dominated and fosters a toxic work environment. Support from Regional Operations and VP of Revenue Management does not exist; their behavior is subversive and counterproductive - they will put their needs and desires above those of the company and their subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to listen to employees, this will be most helpful in identifying core problems. Give HR the necessary training so they have the tools to enable them to deal with these issues. Recognize that some of the people in upper-management roles may not be fit for said role, despite the time they have invested with the company. The company itself seems to be moving in the right direction, while the NYC office maintains a very narrow-minded view of the overall picture.

Do not recommend this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jamaica, NY

ProsHealth Insurance but very expensive and some promotion within

ConsDo not treat employees fairly; Do not give raises on timely fashion.
    Managers are really bad at providing their staff any time of information

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and listen to their opinions and maybe you will have a better outcome.
    Do not side with General Managers they will always say what you want to hear. Upper Management should check on properties more often so they can actually see what is really going on at the hotels.

I would not recommend others to work for company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnumerous hotels available. benefits available. health insurance.

Consrevolving door, no job security, don't treat employees well

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your people right and inturn they will prodce for you

Worked for Hersha Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!