Hersha Hospitality

www.hersha.com
Profile Unclaimed

Incompetent and unfair management and lots of favoritism

Former Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities in Urban areas such as New York City and Boston.

Cons

It states in their welcome video that they don't hire because of their degrees or their experience they hire employees because they match well with their company. That states that they will hire anyone with no experience and incompetent people who shouldn't be working in the industry and since i worked with Hersha there was nothing but incompetent people working in hotels that shouldn't be in such positions especially upper management.

Managers have a lot of favoritism towards select employees and give them the best shifts and put other responsibility on others and not compensate them for it.

If your responsible for a mistake and it wasn't only 1 person that's responsible and the second employee was the favorite employee of the manager. You would be held accountable for the mistake and be the only one reprimanded.

Pay is not competitive with other hotels in NYC area and other urban areas

Once your hired in a position its very hard to move up unless your a favored employee

Upper management needs to go into all properties and speak to their employees and monitor their General Managers and Assistant General Managers.

Raise the compensation to competitive hotels and treat your employees with respect and the company will go far.

Don't support favoritism

Worst Management Company

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No positive attributes about this company

Cons

Upper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Quit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

Great people, great company

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

small company, get to know everyone, and everyone is nice

Cons

work can get boring sometimes

exciting ideas but not enough follow through from owners and leaders. lacking reinvestment and disingenuous.

Current Contractor - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Contractor - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leaders are excellent at "talking the talk." They know how to excite a room and convince an audience of their promises. They can generate excitement.

Cons

They have a hard time delivering on their promises. They fail to back up their pitches with action. They manage their hotels from a place of fear. The proper supports do not exist, as the support team is young and inexperienced. The leader are all men (or close to men) and the support seem to be pretty young things; more of a dating pool. A "boys club" that bows down to the owners.

There is a lot of talk about work life balance, but they work employees to death and then push them out.

Look closely at your regional and vp team. They are all covering each others' messes up. The revenue management and sales teams are not generating the revenue they could. And your operations teams are kept preoccupied acting as secretaries for the vps. Everyone is more concerned with giving the right answers. The love of hospitality is lost.

Listen to your own speeches.

Poorly Staffed and Managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

Cons

You will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Provide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

Worse Company to work for

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of anything nice to put here.

Cons

I work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

They way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

Poor management

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

The other employees are generally nice to work with.

Cons

The hotel I worked for is poorly managed. Every employee hates it there. There are never enough supplies. Things simply always go wrong.

Organization.

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Food & Beverage Server in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Good company core values that works in the best interest of excellent guest service and great guest satisfaction. Overall good potential for internal promoting.

Cons

Benefits and pay aren't that great

Area Director of Revenue Management

Former Employee - Area Director of Revenue Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Area Director of Revenue Management in New York, NY

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

best reasons to work here...none

Cons

Corporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

This company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!

I worked here for one year and left. Do not recommend this company

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There dont seem to be too many. I guess the regional team that I worked with was nice although they all seemed to be a bit over their heads in the skills they have and the skills they need.

Cons

This company is very "clicky" in that there are two groups. Either you're a long timer and are one of the "boys club" and everyone else. All of the people I talked to in the company tell me how hard it is to break into this click so many people leave after just a year like I did.

You should employ a feedback mechanism to get the employee's feedback. Then, you should be humble enough to hear us and react to the feedback.