Hershey Entertainment

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ted Kleisner

Front Desk Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

ProsThe Front Office staff were extremely welcoming to me as a new hire. I quickly trained with other agents and learned by doing versus a classroom style training seminar. I have worked at other front desks so for me training was simple, however I can see how learning the computer systems might be challenging for others who did not posses previous experience.

ConsI had a few issues while working for the Front Desk at the Hotel Hershey. The first was my wage. The wages are very low. I understood it was an entry level postion but even then it didn't seem warrented. You recieve merrit based wage increases once a year but they are too small to make much of a difference in your yearly income.

Another issue I had were the inconsistant hours. Through out the course of one week my start time could be any where from 6:30am until 2:45pm. It made it very challenging to get into any kind of pattern. I did notice however that certain employees based on their senority got their choice of hours which I found really frustrating.

The last issue I had with during this position has little to do with the position but more with the hotel in general. This property has a lot of unionized workers who I feel don't pull their weight because they are protected by the union. During my employement I often saw union employees skate by or not be repromanded for their behavior because management feared the union. Some of these employees have been with the property over 20 years even if their job performance is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that you should definately increase the wage of the Front Desk Agents because they are the face of the hotel. Any problem that arises the guests immediately go to the front desk even if it doesn't involve them. The amount of work the agents put in should be reflected in their wages more appropiately.

I feel management needs to deal more effectively with their unionized work force. They are often protected and their bad behavior or poor work performance is over-looked.

Some good perks with poor leadership and little pay

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time

Prosconcerts, discounts, candy, sometimes fun

Consbad attitudes, poor managers, low pay

Valuable experience, but I would never do it again because it is stressful

Food and Beverage Personnel and Scheduling (Current Employee)
Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Ability to work a lot of hours and earn decent money
-Pay was decent
-Able to gain valuable interpersonal skills and conflict management experience

Cons-Unorganized and poor working environment
-Unprofessional at times
-Management doesn't trust lower employees
-Poor work/life balance

Advice to Senior Management-Evaluate the pay of seasonal employees. Milton Hershey would not have approved.
-Perform an internal review to see how scheduling can be improved

Internship with plenty of independence

Corporate Internal Audit (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of independence, I was able to work from home. I was able to access the materials I needed to create the end product.

ConsVery little guidance, the supervisor left the company in the middle of the project and I was unable to get a lot of assistance. I didn't feel like I was learning from a mentor, received very little feed back. I worked with some really nice people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to follow through with your interns with feedback. Supervisors should approve a project management timeline and stick to it. Feed back at the different phases. Also, if you are going to provide a written recommendation, follow through with it.

Nice Company Culture, Low Pay

Hospitality Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

ProsStrong company culture, Employee benefits

ConsVery young leadership, Opportunities are only in PA, no other area

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more professional leadership

Ok employer Great Co-workers

Food and Beverage Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Hours(as many as you'd like). Somewhat Flexible

ConsAs manager you don't pick your schedule or your Employees another office does it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLate Stand Manager make up Schedule and you just fill in openings.

Great company, just not much mobility in the ranks.

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment

ProsEveryone's happy and easy to work with. Free park access for you and your spouse year round. Huge discounts on concerts and golf.

ConsMost people here don't want to move around. This inhibits career mobility and any type of change. The IT systems here are archaic and need revamped badly. Still using payroll system from 1980s (AS400) and Office 2003.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your software, hire some young energetic and creative people and keep doing everything else the same.

Play the game and you will go far.

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

ProsWell known company, competitive hiring process
Great stepping stone and resume builder
Good employee benefits and perks
Awesome professional development and training options
Variety of events throughout the year employees are able to participate in

ConsCorporate politics is rampant and cult-like
Expectations are very high..lack of appreciation/reward for those who actually DO exceed expectations
Favoritism/Drama/fakeness prevalent among corporate management
HR management seems to think they are exempt from their own rules
Some managers/directors are willing to do anything to get to the next level (corporate greed/power)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore progressive thinking
Less fear of diversity
Demonstrate more genuine respect for ALL of your employees
Focus more on ethics/team..not self promotion/$$
Allow those below you to show the talents they possess without feeling threatened and/or feeling the need to suppress them.

Great People, Fun Atmosphere - but... Missing a Key Ingredient

Creative Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

ProsSome of the people there were Very wonderful, great sense of humor, talented, top-notch.
While not all of them were experts (often promoted beyond ability/competency) they were quick to ask questions and seek advice from those around them. This wasn't something fostered by upper management - this was handled as part of the general atmosphere.
Corporate benifits were top-notch! I had some 'fun' at the local hospital where I recieved a high level of care - only to recieve nominal bills post proceedure.
The cafeteria was also a great addition - although not a selling point for a new-hire... It helped keep the company small in that people from all departments had a chance to communicate.

ConsHERCO as a company is middle management heavy. Some of these middle managers are what I would call 'coasters.' Riding along in a position they've made for themselves looking not to make waves or take risks. New ideas from within the groups were well thought out - planned out - but often watered down by management. The work ethic of some of the middle management would be another element I would call into question... Often working short days while not providing feedback on elements awaiting their approval. I also experienced some unprofessional/unethical conduct in my short time there - where I witnessed a director make unprofessional and personally hurtfull comments to one of the people under her. That being said... the CMO was a gem of a person - and made up for the missgivings of those under her... but not enough for me to stay on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's called the sweetest place on earth... and if it were all about the people I would Highly agree. But, watch out for the high level of mid-level-managers, and a few of the directors as they may be quick to turn on you to reach the next rung in the ladder. My advice... Innovate with the way the departments are managed, put more of the Great people on the ground in charge of things... less directors + less management = greater final products!

Nice place to work, but not a traditional country club structure

Golf Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

ProsGood benefits, good hours from a golf professional perspective. Decent wages and some very nice perks. Membership is great, low stress fun work environment.

ConsDealing with the summer tourist traffic just to make it work is difficult at times. The employee meals are sad to say the least. Not your typical golf environment and structure from the inside, no real advancement opportunities for golf professionals trying to work their way up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess back stabbing talk, do your job and go home. Allow those under you to show what talents they posess.

Worked for Hershey Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hershey Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hershey Entertainment CEO Ted Kleisner. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Hershey Entertainment employees.