Hershey Entertainment

Ted Kleisner

Nice Company Culture, Low Pay

Hospitality Intern (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsStrong company culture, Employee benefits

ConsVery young leadership, Opportunities are only in PA, no other area

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more professional leadership

Ok employer Great Co-workers

Food and Beverage Team Leader (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsGreat Hours(as many as you'd like). Somewhat Flexible

ConsAs manager you don't pick your schedule or your Employees another office does it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLate Stand Manager make up Schedule and you just fill in openings.

Great company, just not much mobility in the ranks.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsEveryone's happy and easy to work with. Free park access for you and your spouse year round. Huge discounts on concerts and golf.

ConsMost people here don't want to move around. This inhibits career mobility and any type of change. The IT systems here are archaic and need revamped badly. Still using payroll system from 1980s (AS400) and Office 2003.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your software, hire some young energetic and creative people and keep doing everything else the same.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Play the game and you will go far.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsWell known company, competitive hiring process
    Great stepping stone and resume builder
    Good employee benefits and perks
    Awesome professional development and training options
    Variety of events throughout the year employees are able to participate in

ConsCorporate politics is rampant and cult-like
    Expectations are very high..lack of appreciation/reward for those who actually DO exceed expectations
    Favoritism/Drama/fakeness prevalent among corporate management
    HR management seems to think they are exempt from their own rules
    Some managers/directors are willing to do anything to get to the next level (corporate greed/power)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore progressive thinking
    Less fear of diversity
    Demonstrate more genuine respect for ALL of your employees
    Focus more on ethics/team..not self promotion/$$
    Allow those below you to show the talents they possess without feeling threatened and/or feeling the need to suppress them.

Great People, Fun Atmosphere - but... Missing a Key Ingredient

Creative Services (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsSome of the people there were Very wonderful, great sense of humor, talented, top-notch.
    While not all of them were experts (often promoted beyond ability/competency) they were quick to ask questions and seek advice from those around them. This wasn't something fostered by upper management - this was handled as part of the general atmosphere.
    Corporate benifits were top-notch! I had some 'fun' at the local hospital where I recieved a high level of care - only to recieve nominal bills post proceedure.
    The cafeteria was also a great addition - although not a selling point for a new-hire... It helped keep the company small in that people from all departments had a chance to communicate.

ConsHERCO as a company is middle management heavy. Some of these middle managers are what I would call 'coasters.' Riding along in a position they've made for themselves looking not to make waves or take risks. New ideas from within the groups were well thought out - planned out - but often watered down by management. The work ethic of some of the middle management would be another element I would call into question... Often working short days while not providing feedback on elements awaiting their approval. I also experienced some unprofessional/unethical conduct in my short time there - where I witnessed a director make unprofessional and personally hurtfull comments to one of the people under her. That being said... the CMO was a gem of a person - and made up for the missgivings of those under her... but not enough for me to stay on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's called the sweetest place on earth... and if it were all about the people I would Highly agree. But, watch out for the high level of mid-level-managers, and a few of the directors as they may be quick to turn on you to reach the next rung in the ladder. My advice... Innovate with the way the departments are managed, put more of the Great people on the ground in charge of things... less directors + less management = greater final products!

Nice place to work, but not a traditional country club structure

Golf Professional (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsGood benefits, good hours from a golf professional perspective. Decent wages and some very nice perks. Membership is great, low stress fun work environment.

ConsDealing with the summer tourist traffic just to make it work is difficult at times. The employee meals are sad to say the least. Not your typical golf environment and structure from the inside, no real advancement opportunities for golf professionals trying to work their way up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess back stabbing talk, do your job and go home. Allow those under you to show what talents they posess.

Sweet place to work depending on where at in the company you are

Worked At the Hotel Hershey (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsGREAT discounts! Such as getting into the park for free, discounts at pretty much anything HERCO related (hotel spa, hotel rooms, dining, entertainment). I even received free concert tickets for showing my ID once. You also get to meet some great people that work and stay there. Hard work is usually recognized once management begins to notice you after a little while.

ConsIn the summer it gets really hectic, especially with little kids running around everywhere. And after the summer, they don't always guarantee you the hours you might want or shifts you can't work (why I stopped working there... they repeatedly scheduled me when they knew I had classes and then told me I had to find someone to work for me and it was my problem)

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know?

Better than other options for high school students, but still far from being rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere's not much to say about the more or less boilerplate jobs most people take on here. They do pay more than most companies employing high school students though. The actual work is less repetitive than similar jobs, although that's not saying much.

ConsThe scheduling is inflexible, there is zero chance to get an increased salary unless you stay on for multiple years. Also, while it's less repetitive than other unskilled positions, it's still highly repetitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, the place is fairly well run. The market is exceptionally favorable to companies hiring unskilled laborers right now, so I'd probably recommend that they reduce salaries and fire employees, although I feel business advice is outside of the domain this question is addressing.

In operations, you work a lot of hours.

ProsThe people you work with are fun to be around
    It is a fun atmosphere
    Wide variety of events on the complex year round, keeps it from being boring and repetitive

ConsPay is lower than comparable jobs with other companies in the area
    In operations you work a lot of hours
    Some of the poor managers are not let go but instead passed around to another department

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the weak managers in your various departments. Don't keep passing them around to departments when they don't work out in one area. It will help your management team greatly!

TUDOR GRILL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTHERE WAS A LOT OF PROS ABOUT THIS JOB. FOR ONE THE TIPS WERE REALLY NICE. MANAGERS WE REALLY NICE.

ConsServers were but heads. Customers were to messy and I always had to clean after them. Most of the messy customers didn't have kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementTheirs nothing to say that's needed to be changed about this place for the managers. it was really great. YAY

Worked for Hershey Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!