Hershey Entertainment

Great place to work

Former Employee - Hershey Park Rides Operator in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Hershey Park Rides Operator in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are very forgiving and you learn a lot and have fun. i would recommend this job to almost anyone, and I am fairly certain they would enjoy it.

Cons

I worked in founders circle and the only bad thing I can say about it is that I had to deal with stupid parents... You should not be getting on a ride that looks like it was made for a 4 year old.

none

Senority & Whiteness Highly Valued - Openness to new thoughts, not so much

Former Employee - Server in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Potential for Good Pay & park benefits. Some mid level managers are good.

Cons

Rather Conservative and not friendly or conscious of cross-cultural communication. Basically I had a very rude and ignorant boss at one of the restaurants at the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center. He was hostile and prejudice towards me. Needless to say, I didn't stay long. His actions included, repeatedly putting me at the bottom on the totem pole in terms of seating guests; almost every single day when I worked there, other servers would have 10-20 guests for lunch where I was lucky to reach 7-10.

Curb Patriarchal cultures among mid-level management.

Pretty good.

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Clerk in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Clerk in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a fun atmosphere. The camaraderie was good. I was fortunate to be in a Food and Beverage stand that had air conditioning.

Cons

The days are long, your work gets unrecognized, and there is not much mobility.

Worked for Hershey

Former Employee - Reservations in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Reservations in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They treated the employees well, had lunchrooms with complimentary soda fountains as well as rooms for breastfeeding mothers.

Cons

hard to advance, typically good place

n/a

Hersheypark treatment of employees has gone downhill fast. I would not let my teen work here.

Current Employee - Food Service in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Food Service in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free park tickets
    My immediate supervisors are great

Cons

Poor treatment of employees
    If you are over 18, they will work you to death and not pay OT
    The high level management is only concerned with money.

I have worked part-time for Hershey Park since the mid-1990s. I started in high school, continued in college, grad-school, and now I work limited hours for some extra cash. When I started as a teen employees were treated well, we even got a Christmas bonus based on the number of hours you worked. This ended and when I was in college they paid us bonus pay for working late season. At some point that ended too.

I work in food service, and we used to get an employee meal, which at various times was free (limited menu) or something we could purchase at half price, both were very fair policies- as its very hard to impossible to take an actual break- anyone in the restaurant will tell you how difficult it is to just clock out for half an hour for lunch, so you take 5-10 minutes at closing or during a slow period, to eat a sandwich. Then suddenly this year, if you want to eat, you have to walk to clock out, then another long walk to the employee cafe, or you can pack and lunch and keep it in your locker (IF you have one, gross!) you spend the majority of your break time walking- so if you are over 18, you don't take a break and work hungry.

Also the parking/clock in situation is a mess. There is not enough parking for employees. Additionally, I have an almost mile walk from my car, to the clock in station, to my work station. (sometimes over a mile, I use a fitness watch). They make everyone.. Minors and adults clock in at clocks with assigned workers.. I get they did this to deal with child labor law issues, but then make this policy JUST for minors. I have had to wait in line, at times up to 15 minutes just to clock in, so before my shift even begins, I have to fight for parking, wait in line just to clock in, and walk a mile.. Not hershey park happy.

Also the one perk, getting free Hershey Park tickets, was recently made more difficult this year. It used to be you could have your checks mailed to you, and if it was a ticket distribution date they would mail your tickets with your check- a huge convenience for someone like myself who works full time. However this year, we are now required to physically go to the park and pick up the tickets.. Which wouldn't be bad if you work hours which match the pickup times, however this summer I found myself going out of my way all but one pay day, just to pick up the tickets- (adding to the parking/traffic/ greenhouse gas problem)

Also lets talk about the point based call off system. You can receive points (1 point) if you clock in 5 minutes late, I am a good employee, and received maybe 8 points total throughout my 15+ years at the park. This year I was stuck in some traffic, and after fighting for parking and walking almost half a mile to the clock in station, I clocked in maybe 10 minutes late- i received 1 point, certainly not enough to impact my record, however I wish they would have some gray area. Also they have a policy where if you are sick and provide a doctors note, some of your points will be removed, but not ALL. I have never been impacted by this policy, but I don't understand why Hershey will not remove ALL points with a doctors note? Do you want your ride operator's and food service workers working sick???

Hershey- your employees are angry, tired, hungry, working while sick, and not fairly compensated. How long do you think it will be until this impacts customer service? You are too focused on money and could care less about the treatment of employees- you forgot that Hershey Park was originally a gift TO Milton S Hersehy's beloved employees and town.
    You are losing long-term dedicated employees.

BEWARE OF HERSHEY PARK

Former Employee - Sweeps in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Sweeps in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

2 years in a row of going to try and work at hershey park . Last year my son was left in the street while i was at work and they didnt care. This year they said they would work around my custody order and didnt. Anyone going to go work there think before you do because they under pay and dont care about there employees. DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY TELL YOU THEY DONT CARE.

Cons

under payed and dont care about there employee situations in life

hershey needs to take a hard look who they promote in there departments there. And put the rite people in charge to make the park better for the guests and employees

Nice place to work, overall everyone is very friendly, but a very conservative, buttoned up environment

Former Employee - Sales in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment full-time

Pros

- great people
    - knowledgeable (depending on department)
    - nice exposure to leadership (also depending on department), some leadership also very approachable
    - pretty steady hours, in sales department anyway
    - free pack of tickets to the park, great if you have family

Cons

- pretty conservative work environment, even for hospitality industry
    - would like to see more opportunity for growth, not just promoting based on longevity
    - medical benefits changed for the worse right as i was leaving

Lighten up a bit on some of the dress code policies and other policies that may be a bit out of date for the times, even in the hospitality industry. Suit and tie is great, but can be highly uncomfortable during certain times of year and as long as your look presentable, even clients won't know the difference. Would also be great to see some sort of rotational program, offer mentors/career counselors to more than just more senior leadership. Overall very happy to have worked here and with the people I was able to meet.

Sweet place to work, but not best paying

Former Employee - Entertainment Host in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Entertainment Host in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun place to work with a lot of interesting people. The Hershey company prides itself with encouraging fun, memory-making guests interactions...which unfortunately the guests are not always open to. It was a fun summer job in between college.

Cons

Pay was not even minimum wage at times, not a lot of room for promotions, management was inconsistent about protocols

Few options for full-time employment

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally, staff is friendly and a few of the perks are nice.

Cons

Company primarily hires part-time employees who receive no benefits.

Adhere to Milton Hershey's philosophy that happy workers are more productive.

Neutral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers its part-time employees good benefits

Cons

Management is totally disconnected and needs to value part time employees more. Total lack of respect from upper management when it comes to the dignity and value of each person.

Show that you truly care about the people in your company who are the reason for your paycheck each month