Hershey Entertainment

Hershey Entertainment Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014

Ted Kleisner

Hersheypark treatment of employees has gone downhill fast. I would not let my teen work here.

Current Employee - Food Service  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Food Service in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free park tickets
    My immediate supervisors are great

Cons

Poor treatment of employees
    If you are over 18, they will work you to death and not pay OT
    The high level management is only concerned with money.

I have worked part-time for Hershey Park since the mid-1990s. I started in high school, continued in college, grad-school, and now I work limited hours for some extra cash. When I started as a teen employees were treated well, we even got a Christmas bonus based on the number of hours you worked. This ended and when I was in college they paid us bonus pay for working late season. At some point that ended too.

I work in food service, and we used to get an employee meal, which at various times was free (limited menu) or something we could purchase at half price, both were very fair policies- as its very hard to impossible to take an actual break- anyone in the restaurant will tell you how difficult it is to just clock out for half an hour for lunch, so you take 5-10 minutes at closing or during a slow period, to eat a sandwich. Then suddenly this year, if you want to eat, you have to walk to clock out, then another long walk to the employee cafe, or you can pack and lunch and keep it in your locker (IF you have one, gross!) you spend the majority of your break time walking- so if you are over 18, you don't take a break and work hungry.

Also the parking/clock in situation is a mess. There is not enough parking for employees. Additionally, I have an almost mile walk from my car, to the clock in station, to my work station. (sometimes over a mile, I use a fitness watch). They make everyone.. Minors and adults clock in at clocks with assigned workers.. I get they did this to deal with child labor law issues, but then make this policy JUST for minors. I have had to wait in line, at times up to 15 minutes just to clock in, so before my shift even begins, I have to fight for parking, wait in line just to clock in, and walk a mile.. Not hershey park happy.

Also the one perk, getting free Hershey Park tickets, was recently made more difficult this year. It used to be you could have your checks mailed to you, and if it was a ticket distribution date they would mail your tickets with your check- a huge convenience for someone like myself who works full time. However this year, we are now required to physically go to the park and pick up the tickets.. Which wouldn't be bad if you work hours which match the pickup times, however this summer I found myself going out of my way all but one pay day, just to pick up the tickets- (adding to the parking/traffic/ greenhouse gas problem)

Also lets talk about the point based call off system. You can receive points (1 point) if you clock in 5 minutes late, I am a good employee, and received maybe 8 points total throughout my 15+ years at the park. This year I was stuck in some traffic, and after fighting for parking and walking almost half a mile to the clock in station, I clocked in maybe 10 minutes late- i received 1 point, certainly not enough to impact my record, however I wish they would have some gray area. Also they have a policy where if you are sick and provide a doctors note, some of your points will be removed, but not ALL. I have never been impacted by this policy, but I don't understand why Hershey will not remove ALL points with a doctors note? Do you want your ride operator's and food service workers working sick???

Hershey- your employees are angry, tired, hungry, working while sick, and not fairly compensated. How long do you think it will be until this impacts customer service? You are too focused on money and could care less about the treatment of employees- you forgot that Hershey Park was originally a gift TO Milton S Hersehy's beloved employees and town.
    You are losing long-term dedicated employees.

BEWARE OF HERSHEY PARK

Former Employee - Sweeps  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Sweeps in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

2 years in a row of going to try and work at hershey park . Last year my son was left in the street while i was at work and they didnt care. This year they said they would work around my custody order and didnt. Anyone going to go work there think before you do because they under pay and dont care about there employees. DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY TELL YOU THEY DONT CARE.

Cons

under payed and dont care about there employee situations in life

hershey needs to take a hard look who they promote in there departments there. And put the rite people in charge to make the park better for the guests and employees

Unorganized

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Discounts, tickets, flexible schedule, and chocolate.

Cons

Management was indifferent, unorganized, and old.

Clean House.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Come to HE&R if you want to work for politicians

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Free admission to the Park and other attractions

Cons

Senior management has done away with most employee perks, while the Trust company continues to line the pockets of republican buddies.
    The director level of managers only come to work to play the political game, manipulate people, and preserve themselves. Certain dept directors will stab you in the back at any chance they get to further their own agenda.

You need to focus on REAL content and stop focusing 99% of your energy on politics and image. If you focus on the fundamentals and real people, the rest will come. I doubt Milton Hershey envisioned his organization becoming what Hershey has become - a lot of fake, ingenuine people at the management level.

Decent beginning job, but thats about it

Former Employee - Closing Clerk  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Closing Clerk in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

decent pay, good hours, easy to schedule vacations, easy work, free tickets sometimes when you are paid, a wide range of jobs available.

Cons

not enough pay, condescending management

Play the game and you will go far.

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Well known company, competitive hiring process
    Great stepping stone and resume builder
    Good employee benefits and perks
    Awesome professional development and training options
    Variety of events throughout the year employees are able to participate in

Cons

Corporate politics is rampant and cult-like
    Expectations are very high..lack of appreciation/reward for those who actually DO exceed expectations
    Favoritism/Drama/fakeness prevalent among corporate management
    HR management seems to think they are exempt from their own rules
    Some managers/directors are willing to do anything to get to the next level (corporate greed/power)

More progressive thinking
    Less fear of diversity
    Demonstrate more genuine respect for ALL of your employees
    Focus more on ethics/team..not self promotion/$$
    Allow those below you to show the talents they possess without feeling threatened and/or feeling the need to suppress them.

Better than other options for high school students, but still far from being rewarding.

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

There's not much to say about the more or less boilerplate jobs most people take on here. They do pay more than most companies employing high school students though. The actual work is less repetitive than similar jobs, although that's not saying much.

Cons

The scheduling is inflexible, there is zero chance to get an increased salary unless you stay on for multiple years. Also, while it's less repetitive than other unskilled positions, it's still highly repetitious.

Honestly, the place is fairly well run. The market is exceptionally favorable to companies hiring unskilled laborers right now, so I'd probably recommend that they reduce salaries and fire employees, although I feel business advice is outside of the domain this question is addressing.

Great People, Fun Atmosphere - but... Missing a Key Ingredient

Former Employee - Creative Services  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Creative Services in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Some of the people there were Very wonderful, great sense of humor, talented, top-notch.
    While not all of them were experts (often promoted beyond ability/competency) they were quick to ask questions and seek advice from those around them. This wasn't something fostered by upper management - this was handled as part of the general atmosphere.
    Corporate benifits were top-notch! I had some 'fun' at the local hospital where I recieved a high level of care - only to recieve nominal bills post proceedure.
    The cafeteria was also a great addition - although not a selling point for a new-hire... It helped keep the company small in that people from all departments had a chance to communicate.

Cons

HERCO as a company is middle management heavy. Some of these middle managers are what I would call 'coasters.' Riding along in a position they've made for themselves looking not to make waves or take risks. New ideas from within the groups were well thought out - planned out - but often watered down by management. The work ethic of some of the middle management would be another element I would call into question... Often working short days while not providing feedback on elements awaiting their approval. I also experienced some unprofessional/unethical conduct in my short time there - where I witnessed a director make unprofessional and personally hurtfull comments to one of the people under her. That being said... the CMO was a gem of a person - and made up for the missgivings of those under her... but not enough for me to stay on.

It's called the sweetest place on earth... and if it were all about the people I would Highly agree. But, watch out for the high level of mid-level-managers, and a few of the directors as they may be quick to turn on you to reach the next rung in the ladder. My advice... Innovate with the way the departments are managed, put more of the Great people on the ground in charge of things... less directors + less management = greater final products!

Conservative Company

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Lots of positive and great people to work with across all departments.
    Lots of internal promotion opportunities.

Cons

Very conservative.
    Hiring process takes a very long time.

Few options for full-time employment

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally, staff is friendly and a few of the perks are nice.

Cons

Company primarily hires part-time employees who receive no benefits.

Adhere to Milton Hershey's philosophy that happy workers are more productive.

Worked for Hershey Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!