Hershey Entertainment

2.9

Ted Kleisner

Retail Area Supervisor

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

- Great managers
    - Awesome work environment
    - Flexible schedule
    - Wonderful learning experience for high school and college students
       -- Prepares you for a career after graduation
    - Room for advancement

Cons

It is hard to get hired as a full time employee after you have left the company even if you have all the qualifications.

Unorganized

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Discounts, tickets, flexible schedule, and chocolate.

Cons

Management was indifferent, unorganized, and old.

Clean House.

Customer Centric Company

Current Employee - Human Resource Intern in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Intern in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The employees and managers are all outstanding. People look toward the interest of others and not only themselves. This creates a selfless and team focused culture in the company.

Cons

No matter what department you work for, you will come across issues with guests deriving from all over the east coast. Some employees might be emotional and others might be aggravated, so it is your job to assist your coworkers during these times as well as taking care of your duty.

Gateway to many opportunities

Current Employee - Concession Clerk in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Concession Clerk in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Serving customers, getting free park tickets and other discounted tickets. Working with nice people.

Cons

consistency in enforcing rules, under and over staffing when it is not nessary

Decent pricing for food, giving what you don't sell to charity, and better safety and security enforced

The best summer part time job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Ride Group Area Supervisor in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Ride Group Area Supervisor in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are great with giving you a lot of hours, fantastic people to work with, and extremely competitive compensation for part time work.

Cons

Can be stressful at times with hour requirements and handling employee/guest conflicts.

Keep up the great work!

Front Desk Agent

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

The Front Office staff were extremely welcoming to me as a new hire. I quickly trained with other agents and learned by doing versus a classroom style training seminar. I have worked at other front desks so for me training was simple, however I can see how learning the computer systems might be challenging for others who did not posses previous experience.

Cons

I had a few issues while working for the Front Desk at the Hotel Hershey. The first was my wage. The wages are very low. I understood it was an entry level postion but even then it didn't seem warrented. You recieve merrit based wage increases once a year but they are too small to make much of a difference in your yearly income.

Another issue I had were the inconsistant hours. Through out the course of one week my start time could be any where from 6:30am until 2:45pm. It made it very challenging to get into any kind of pattern. I did notice however that certain employees based on their senority got their choice of hours which I found really frustrating.

The last issue I had with during this position has little to do with the position but more with the hotel in general. This property has a lot of unionized workers who I feel don't pull their weight because they are protected by the union. During my employement I often saw union employees skate by or not be repromanded for their behavior because management feared the union. Some of these employees have been with the property over 20 years even if their job performance is weak.

I feel that you should definately increase the wage of the Front Desk Agents because they are the face of the hotel. Any problem that arises the guests immediately go to the front desk even if it doesn't involve them. The amount of work the agents put in should be reflected in their wages more appropiately.

I feel management needs to deal more effectively with their unionized work force. They are often protected and their bad behavior or poor work performance is over-looked.

Some good perks with poor leadership and little pay

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment part-time

Pros

concerts, discounts, candy, sometimes fun

Cons

bad attitudes, poor managers, low pay

Come to HE&R if you want to work for politicians

I worked at Hershey Entertainment

Pros

Free admission to the Park and other attractions

Cons

Senior management has done away with most employee perks, while the Trust company continues to line the pockets of republican buddies.
    The director level of managers only come to work to play the political game, manipulate people, and preserve themselves. Certain dept directors will stab you in the back at any chance they get to further their own agenda.

You need to focus on REAL content and stop focusing 99% of your energy on politics and image. If you focus on the fundamentals and real people, the rest will come. I doubt Milton Hershey envisioned his organization becoming what Hershey has become - a lot of fake, ingenuine people at the management level.

Valuable experience, but I would never do it again because it is stressful

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Personnel and Scheduling in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Personnel and Scheduling in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Entertainment as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Ability to work a lot of hours and earn decent money
    -Pay was decent
    -Able to gain valuable interpersonal skills and conflict management experience

Cons

-Unorganized and poor working environment
    -Unprofessional at times
    -Management doesn't trust lower employees
    -Poor work/life balance

-Evaluate the pay of seasonal employees. Milton Hershey would not have approved.
    -Perform an internal review to see how scheduling can be improved

Internship with plenty of independence

Former Employee - Corporate Internal Audit in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Internal Audit in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Entertainment as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of independence, I was able to work from home. I was able to access the materials I needed to create the end product.

Cons

Very little guidance, the supervisor left the company in the middle of the project and I was unable to get a lot of assistance. I didn't feel like I was learning from a mentor, received very little feed back. I worked with some really nice people.

Be sure to follow through with your interns with feedback. Supervisors should approve a project management timeline and stick to it. Feed back at the different phases. Also, if you are going to provide a written recommendation, follow through with it.