Hershey Medical Center Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
34 reviews filtered by
Hershey Medical Center CEO and SVP, Health Affairs; Dean, Penn State College of Medicine Harold L. Paz
Harold L. Paz

1. Awesome employer

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits great managers and training

Cons

None, best job ever had

Listen to all employees

2. A Nightmare Workplace if not Doctor or Clinical

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Decent Benefits that make it hard to leave the company

Cons

Patient and Provider Access Services (PPAS), which is off campus from the hospital, is in an old building. They won't turn up the heat due to "poor air quality" in the heating system. You are expected to come to work in emergency snow storms when every other facilities around the area are closed (and even some other departments in the hospital with similar work are closed). If you are late, you get a unexcused absence.
    Pay is decent for the type of job, but employees are over worked, over stressed, and forced to meet unrealistic deadlines. The stress from the job causes toxic employees to cope by bullying others who do not deserve that treatment. Management does not know how to control or hold these employees accountable for their work or their toxic behavior.
    Being that this office is off campus, you do not get to participate in positive employee appreciations going on at the main hospital (such as Christmas Party, Nurse Week, etc, etc.)
    Parking is not ideal. There are a few spaces in front of the building, but most of the parking is behind in a lower lot (at the bottom of stairs) that is not maintained, easily floods, and is sometimes difficult to find parking because local residents park their cars in the lot.
    There is no cafeteria or place to eat in this building, so unless you pack lunch, you must drive to a place to eat lunch.
    (Those who pack lunch eat lunch at their desk because there is no cafeteria)
    Total lack of workplace culture and very unlikely for the company to promote from within.
    The company is a great place to work if you are a doctor, nurse, or clinical staff.

Control toxic employees, hold employees accountable for their work, and promote a positive work atmosphere.
    Consider giving employees a different call off policy during emergency snow storms.

3. Job security

Current Employee - Cancer Institute in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Cancer Institute in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They never cut hours and we have gotten a raise annually in addition to an annual bonus every year since I started there (6 yrs ago). Plus a 75% tuition bonus for a Penn State education!

Cons

It's hard to promote within the company since there is so much competition nationally for top positions

Promote for too positions within the company. You can trust the people who are already working for you and just train him or her on new job descriptions as long as they are qualified. Offer 100% tuition discount as long as a certain gpa is attained (3.0 or higher maybe)...

5. Revolving door

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Organized place, nice staff and location

Cons

Hospital finances reign over staff/faculty satisfaction/development

6. Overall morale is wonderful.

Current Employee - Administrative in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is excited to work for Penn State. The overall morale of the employees as a whole is wonderful and I truly feel motivated that I get to work for PSU in this capacity. The benefits are wonderful: health insurance is great, dental and eye coverage is great, PTO is amazing, and other benefits are lovely. For the most part, most employees are pleasant and interested in their work and at the heart of their job have patient care and satisfaction in mind.

Cons

Opportunity to advance is limited because of the inside politics - it's a game of who-knows-who. This is detrimental to those who enter on a base level because of experience but then are looking to advance because of education or interest in another department. There should be a bigger drive to promote from within based on merit and education, not just connections and politics.

Pay, based on your position, isn't always equal to your position. There are several positions that are underpaid but overworked. This is also dependent on department.

Increase advancement opportunities for staff. Promote from within instead of creating policies that block internal advancement and force people to leave to obtain experience or education and then come back to be re-considered.

7. Horrible environment - not worth the benefits

Former Employee - Medical Office Associate in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Office Associate in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Incredible benefits and lots of vacation time

Cons

Everyone is miserable, rude co workers who bully everyone. Felt like high school and management ignores it

Make people accountable for their attitudes

8. great pay

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Pay is AMAZING, great benefits

Cons

terrible management, a lot of open shifts

9. Not appreciated or valued

Current Employee - Catering to You Associate in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Catering to You Associate in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy being around the patients and helping them. There is always overtime available if you are interested. Co workers are friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Only paid $10.00 an hour. Managers are negative towards employees. Typically leave my house in the morning at 6, clock in by 630am and don't leave until 7-730 PM. Can't get all the work that needs to be done in a day completed in the 12 hour shifts. Managers are constantly adding more responsibilities, yet not properly compensating employees. Responsible for patients lives, but treated insignificantly by doctors, nurses, etc.. Not paid for the responsibility and care that needs to be taken to ensure patient safety. Work for a union that decreased the original employee hourly wage, yet we pay them dues for fighting for our rights. Management more concerned about times, and less worried about being precise. Don't feel valued or appreciated for hard work that job entails.

10. if i was you dont go to work there

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they lie make up stuff about people there is no confidentiality the management tell every one about your problems. they make life vary difficult for you. everyone is power hungry and bossy they discriminate smokers. they don't pay good at all and the insurance is vary high and not good at all co pay it high to

Cons

people are so stress out and cant handle it there a lot of ca planing people are upset and say they feel like killing them self. hope thing get better there but it seem to get worst every month something new to get stress about. seem like there people there just thinking on how to tick people off.

clean up your act

Do yourself a favor and don't come to work here.

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

There aren't any pros.

Cons

After 4 years of working more than 40 hours a week, I am still a "temporary" employee. I have no job protection, health benefits are expensive and no vacation or sick days. Morale in our department is very low due to poor management. I cannot even believe most of the stuff I've seen go on here.

Get some management skills. They have no concept of leadership. They just like power.