Hershey Medical Center

Hershey Medical Center Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.7

Hershey Medical Center CEO and SVP, Health Affairs; Dean, Penn State College of Medicine Harold L. Paz
Harold L. Paz

great pay

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Pay is AMAZING, great benefits

Cons

terrible management, a lot of open shifts

Not appreciated or valued

Current Employee - Catering to You Associate in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Catering to You Associate in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy being around the patients and helping them. There is always overtime available if you are interested. Co workers are friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Only paid $10.00 an hour. Managers are negative towards employees. Typically leave my house in the morning at 6, clock in by 630am and don't leave until 7-730 PM. Can't get all the work that needs to be done in a day completed in the 12 hour shifts. Managers are constantly adding more responsibilities, yet not properly compensating employees. Responsible for patients lives, but treated insignificantly by doctors, nurses, etc.. Not paid for the responsibility and care that needs to be taken to ensure patient safety. Work for a union that decreased the original employee hourly wage, yet we pay them dues for fighting for our rights. Management more concerned about times, and less worried about being precise. Don't feel valued or appreciated for hard work that job entails.

Work at PSU, the medical school at Hershey

Current Employee - Research Associate in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like small town work environment, then Hershey is a place to go and not that far away from big cities. And no or low traffic to work

Cons

You need to have a good boss who knows and cares what you are doing. Make sure you have the financial support you need for the term before come. If not, it is hard to find a job without moving in such small town.

Make sure you work hard and not just buy your time to the retirement. No favoritism. Hire the best on the market, not just absorb the 'left over' on campus. No selfishness.

if i was you dont go to work there

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they lie make up stuff about people there is no confidentiality the management tell every one about your problems. they make life vary difficult for you. everyone is power hungry and bossy they discriminate smokers. they don't pay good at all and the insurance is vary high and not good at all co pay it high to

Cons

people are so stress out and cant handle it there a lot of ca planing people are upset and say they feel like killing them self. hope thing get better there but it seem to get worst every month something new to get stress about. seem like there people there just thinking on how to tick people off.

clean up your act

Do yourself a favor and don't come to work here.

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

There aren't any pros.

Cons

After 4 years of working more than 40 hours a week, I am still a "temporary" employee. I have no job protection, health benefits are expensive and no vacation or sick days. Morale in our department is very low due to poor management. I cannot even believe most of the stuff I've seen go on here.

Get some management skills. They have no concept of leadership. They just like power.

My experience at Hershey Medical Center was Great.

Former Employee - Lab Research in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Lab Research in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Medical Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are that that work environment is very fun and lively, and your coworkers are always willing to help you out. You get to work with some of the smartest people in the entire world which is great.

Cons

The downfalls of working here are that it is very tedious work and you must always be working hard and diligently at all times.

Get the employees involved with more philanthropic events!

Poor management and coworkers

Former Employee - Patient Care in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Care in Hershey, PA

I worked at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The experience, nice looking facility and good benefits

Cons

Poor management and coworker interactions.

Don't put your employees last and criticize them after overworking them. Find coverage and stop expecting employees to cover multiple coworkers. Back up your employees and don't leave them vunerable. I would advise you to value the employee as not just a worker but as a family member.....management does not seem to care about an employees family obligations (especially having children). At the end of the day many employees are burnt out and management does not care. There is simply too much work and not enough staff. Doctors and residents are rude and staff are expected to tolerate being belittled and screamed at.

Good place to work

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. Start with four weeks of vacation plus personal time. Tuition assistance is pretty good.

Cons

Nurses are unionized and the union can make for a mediocore work force. Difficult to have a work life balance. Pay for per diem nurses is very low.

Change contract verbiage so that the best person is awarded a position, not the most senior. Better development of managers and directors.

Good old boys club

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Very experienced physicians
    Good residency program

Cons

Horrible upper management and is your typical "good old boys" club where they do nothing but look out for the higher ups and cover up everything. HR department is corrupt and won't do anything but help to cover what upper management fails to do.

Stop treating employees like they are your slaves, pawning off all your work onto those who are your subordinates, and learn to treat people with respect.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, Union jobs are better. Friendly people and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Work hours and work load may be insane depending on the department.