Hertz Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Hertz President and CEO John Tague
John Tague

Pros
  • It is a fast-paced environment where key metrics are tracked (in 66 reviews)

• Great opportunity for advancement within the Company (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Low job satisfaction / low pay / limited commission bonuses / bad work-life balance (in 93 reviews)

• very long hours with minimal pay (in 272 reviews)

1. Lead Counter Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet new people everyday! Great place to make good money. I had fun working.

Cons

Always short staffed! Revenue Managers or corporate people only see dollar signs. The better you do, the harder it is to make the money that you worked so hard to get. Also, summertime hours...be ready to stay for overtime. If you have children, be ready to not see and do normal things with them.

2. Assistant Branch Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz (More than a year)

Pros

Promotions are easy to come by. Get to work with the latest model cars.

Cons

Management s awful. When you need something that is work related, you get the run around from everybody. Dealing with insurance replacement rentals is basically trying to put an American three pronged power supply into a European outlet. You have to literally beg to get days off. And every location is understaffed and no other location is willing to help.

Advice to Management

Start over.

We work for State Farm.......wait we no longer want State Farm??

Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car and gas. Not worth it after 2-3 years of mediocre support and pay though. Insurance is good and comparable to industry average.

Cons

Hertz does not pay bonuses. They will not tell you how to calculate your bonuses. I'm owed bonus money from 2014 and I have no idea if we're going to get it. Spent years sucking up to State Farm agents and body shops to get their business now the new CEO doesn't want to deal with them if they don't want to pay a higher rate. Waste of time Hertz closing over 200 locations and looking to close some more before the end of 2015 in order to make the company look more financially stable, which it is not!

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they work for. Don't make operational decisions without speaking to frontline employees.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Company car, great benefits & pension. Treated very well initially.

Cons

Unrealistic goals. Never enough cars. Could barely cover 1/2 your reservations on a continual basis. Very upset customers. Upper Mgmt never seemed to be available when reservations couldn't be met. Expected to work open to close 6 days a week. Hertz doesn't appreciate loyalty.

Advice to Management

Mgmt needs to insist on work, life, balance plan. More support when no cars are available. Appreciate tenure & loyalty.

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car with free gas and insurance for Branch Manager, opportunity for advancement, overtime pay for non-managers

Cons

They understaff the branches and set unrealistic goals so you have to work 55+ hours a week to get by. They treat their employees like crap and threaten to fire you if you don't meet the unrealistic sales goals. Employees are stressed out and burnt out after a couple years so they either quit or by that time gotten fired anyway. They understaff the office so much you can barely take a day off because you know you are screwing over your co-worker and you feel terrible. There is a reason why they go after new college grads and never see anyone over 30 working there. You have to work so many hours you never have time to look for a job so you get trapped.

Vehicle service attendant

Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vehicle Service Attendant in Chicago, IL

Pros

very easy position very flexible with the hours the managers are very nice and flexible alot of opportunity to move up in the company

Cons

It gets very hot or cold at times depending on the location because your are working outside. Very accident prone you have to be careful when working this position

Advice to Management

Its based off seniority so the senior employees get the best hours They need to raise the hourly pay overall I had a great experience on working with a company like hertz

I'd rather live at home if it were an option

Current Employee - ABM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ABM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good to work here if you are fresh out of college and able to look for a job after hours as long as you don't have a social life

Cons

Management. Stress. Relying on other employees and branches who rarely follow through. Always having to replace ruined clothing with no support of the company.

Advice to Management

*real hertz employee* Upper management lets you know that they don't care about you. Gives you short notice of changes and expects you to bend over backwards to fulfill the demands. But if you were sitting in a chair from 9-5 bossing around your employees dressed in shirt and tie cleaning and running around doing a blue collar job dressed in white collar clothing would you care? Of course not. This job is only something I would recommend if you have no other options or are looking for a job to make ends meet until you find something else. Make hertz the option before living on the street, because even if a customer curses you out and threatens your life to your face over doing the job exactly as you are told to do, you're still in the wrong. Good luck.

9. working at hertz

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get paid every week looks to promote good workers monthly bonus available overtime

Cons

under valued long hours making sales goals is a must pretty much got to learn on your own

Advice to Management

show the employees they are needed pay them what they are worth

Stress-filled due to lack of supply, pressure to sell, customers

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The number one benefit to working at Hertz is the hours. I regularly pulled in 60 hours a week. My manager also gave me an excellent rate when I needed to rent a car, but that's because he was awesome. The co-worker my branch got towards the end of my tenure was equally awesome, but unfortunately I only worked with him for a short time. Area manager was okay. There was a pretty good tuition reimbursement benefit that I did not get to use. If I recall correctly, it was ~$4k/yr, with the condition that you continue working for Hertz for some time (a year?). Lastly, the interim CEO seemed to be making some great changes (e.g., buying more cars).

Cons

Lack of inventory -Hertz recently landed a contract with a large insurance company to be their preferred rental provider (i.e., Hertz is making headway into the insurance replacement market). Hertz did not buy enough cars to meet this extra demand. -Inventory was also old and junky. I consistently rented 40k+ mileage cars, and 60k was not rare either! Customers don't like this. Customers get angry. Understaffed/Work-life balance -Only myself and my manager at our location, where we were expected to do 1) deliver/pickup cars for corporate accounts; 2) pickup/dropoff customers from body shops; 3) get maintenance done on cars; 4) clean cars; and 5) rent cars. I'm sure there's more we did, too. Two people was not enough. -Staffing also meant that I worked six days a week. Also, despite Saturdays at my location being a half day, the aforementioned responsibilities required that I come in early and stay late consistently. Customers -Most customers at my location were okay. Too many were angry and entitled (probably exacerbated by the lack of inventory and staffing). I witnessed two batteries during my time at Hertz. Someone yelled at me for an hour for a decision that was completely out of my hands. I say that literally. Culture -Culture is okay for the most part, but don't expect any great help from neighboring branches. Need a car? Here's a 60k junker with an intense history of smoking drivers. Also, it needs an oil change. Income -Low but manageable hourly wage. -Opportunity to "bonus" off of upsells and coverage sales, but must meet goals that lead to little payout.

Advice to Management

-Hire more people -Increase wages so that income is not so sales-dependent

11. Great Company with huge opportunity for professional growth on a serious career path

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation package Flexibility with schedule company car Great people to work with On the job training to better professional experiences Exposure to working with different types of customers, from leisure to corporate employees

Cons

While working for Hertz, there have been minor issues, but if expressed, the company does listen and will implement change. The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all

Advice to Management

Keep the line of communication open at all times, and do the best thing possible to continue to follow through with being open and honest with all employees.

Hertz Response

Aug 7, 2014 – Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback GM from Chicago, IL. As an organization, we do pride ourselves on being transparent and offering ways for employees to provide feedback so we can improve our processes and ... More

Showing 54 of 2,334 reviews