Hertz

3.4
1,761 Reviews

Hertz Interim CEO Brian P. MacDonald
Brian P. MacDonald

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment, never a dull day that sure beats a cubical (in 65 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all (in 92 reviews)

• sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 266 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

For nearly 10 years, Hertz continues to offer a sequence of rewarding challenges.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is endless growth opportunity at Hertz Local Edition. The compensation, PTO, and benefits are excellent. Members of the management program are rewarded not only financially, but learn all facets of running a business from top to bottom. The competitive culture rewards performance to no end. Coming out of college with a general LAS degree and no management experience, I cannot think of a better direction I could have taken.

Cons

While I cannot list a true "con" of this program, the pace of the business can be demanding and often calls for long hours. The job does call for administrative work and reconciliation but this is by no means a traditional "desk work." Rental Car requires a unique level of energy and stamina, ideal for those that thrive in a fast pace.

Hertz Response

Aug 7, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback. The Hertz history is built on an entrepreneurial spirit and we truly travel at the speed of Hertz.

Stress-filled due to lack of supply, pressure to sell, customers

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The number one benefit to working at Hertz is the hours. I regularly pulled in 60 hours a week.

My manager also gave me an excellent rate when I needed to rent a car, but that's because he was awesome. The co-worker my branch got towards the end of my tenure was equally awesome, but unfortunately I only worked with him for a short time. Area manager was okay.

There was a pretty good tuition reimbursement benefit that I did not get to use. If I recall correctly, it was ~$4k/yr, with the condition that you continue working for Hertz for some time (a year?).

Lastly, the interim CEO seemed to be making some great changes (e.g., buying more cars).

Cons

Lack of inventory
    -Hertz recently landed a contract with a large insurance company to be their preferred rental provider (i.e., Hertz is making headway into the insurance replacement market). Hertz did not buy enough cars to meet this extra demand.
    -Inventory was also old and junky. I consistently rented 40k+ mileage cars, and 60k was not rare either! Customers don't like this. Customers get angry.

Understaffed/Work-life balance
    -Only myself and my manager at our location, where we were expected to do 1) deliver/pickup cars for corporate accounts; 2) pickup/dropoff customers from body shops; 3) get maintenance done on cars; 4) clean cars; and 5) rent cars. I'm sure there's more we did, too. Two people was not enough.
    -Staffing also meant that I worked six days a week. Also, despite Saturdays at my location being a half day, the aforementioned responsibilities required that I come in early and stay late consistently.

Customers
    -Most customers at my location were okay. Too many were angry and entitled (probably exacerbated by the lack of inventory and staffing). I witnessed two batteries during my time at Hertz. Someone yelled at me for an hour for a decision that was completely out of my hands. I say that literally.

Culture
    -Culture is okay for the most part, but don't expect any great help from neighboring branches. Need a car? Here's a 60k junker with an intense history of smoking drivers. Also, it needs an oil change.

Income
    -Low but manageable hourly wage.
    -Opportunity to "bonus" off of upsells and coverage sales, but must meet goals that lead to little payout.

-Hire more people
    -Increase wages so that income is not so sales-dependent

Great Company with huge opportunity for professional growth on a serious career path

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation package
    Flexibility with schedule
    company car
    Great people to work with
    On the job training to better professional experiences
    Exposure to working with different types of customers, from leisure to corporate employees

Cons

While working for Hertz, there have been minor issues, but if expressed, the company does listen and will implement change. The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all

Keep the line of communication open at all times, and do the best thing possible to continue to follow through with being open and honest with all employees.

Hertz Response

Aug 7, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback GM from Chicago, IL. As an organization, we do pride ourselves on being transparent and offering ways for employees to provide feedback so we can improve our processes and ... More

Door to Opportunities

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is giving me the opportunity to move into a management position in a shorter time frame then I thought. I was previously working for another globally known company that was founded on the principle of promoting within. However, when I applied to various supervisory positions, I realized the politics I had to overcome.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in the schedule can be a bit challenging especially being a single parent with a small child

Endless room for Growth

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for Hertz the managers along with the co-workers are simply amazing. Its really more of a family. Your hard work will always pay off and is apprechiated.

Cons

I personally havent had any issues with the company so far. They have a great open door policy and are always willing to talk to find a solution to any problem.

Keep up the good work with the one on one attention. I love knowing I can turn for help at anytime.

Worldwide company to work for with exceptional opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exceptional opportunites for potential and growth.

Cons

None I can think of at this time.

Excellent company!!

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hertz advancement process is second to none. I have been working with the company for two years and I was able to advance to Branch manager rather swiftly. The bonus system in place is fantastic given that you embace the teachings and give the extra effort and care. Branch Managers are given a car and free gas, and I can say that Hertz has been the best job I have had thus far.

Cons

Long hours and cleaning cars can sometimes be a pain but honestly can still be a good breakup of the day from the usual office work.

Continue to stay connected with the employees on the ground level.

Great people and great compensation

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are compensated quite well if you pick up the sales piece from the start. Always on the go. Love the fact that you aren't sitting behind a desk all day.

Cons

Some customers are quick to blame you for their mistakes. There are some weekends where you have to work but it's only for three hours.

Make sure that you spend time with your newer people to prepare them to for running a branch.

Awesome job, with great promotional opportunity

Current Employee - Location Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Location Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, competitive benefits, monthly bonuses, never a dull moment, no SUNDAYS yeah, very busy and always overtime available. Company offers great perks for top employees and the opportunities are endless. Awesome atmosphere with colleagues as well.

Cons

under staffed, but company does compensate with bonuses

Continue to motivate and reward you employees, increase salary/ pay

Awful experience

Former Employee - Hertz Management Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Hertz Management Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Set schedule and off Sundays. Other than that nothing

Cons

This was the worst job I have had. They lie about bonuses just to get you in the door. You have to bother customers to get the protection on their car that most don't even need or want. You job depends on this. Some employees will change the numbers in the computer just so it looks like the customer added the protection. That's how you get promoted. You get to clean and wash cars outside in the winter which is fun. So if you live in the midwest have fun wearing dress clothes washing a car when its 20 degrees outside. If you want a crap sales job making less then some 18 year old kid at McDonald's go for it. If you want to actually use your college degree stick it out until you find anything else. They say you can make up to $40,000 per year?! Ha you are lucky to get a $50 bonus per month. Maybe working at a busy airport but try selling protection to someone who was just in a car accident. They were just hit why would they pay to have protection on a car when they were not at fault?? Good luck!! Also explain to a customer why their car isn't there when they booked it online

Do actual work get your lazy butts out of your office and figure out your awful company