Hertz

3.3 1,571 reviews

Hertz Chairman and CEO Mark P. Frissora

Mark P. Frissora

(1,088 ratings)

Pros
  • The environment is fast-paced, high energy and the management team here in the St(in 59 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy(in 253 reviews)

• It's to the point that a "Work/Life Balance" initiative is being put into place by our Area Manager(in 76 reviews)

1,571 Employee Reviews

Would not recommend

Domestic Reservations Agent (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsA paycheck, benefits were decent, didn't have to commute to and from work

ConsWhere do I start? Definitely was not flexible. My shift was from 2:30-10 pm. My son missed the bus after school so I called operations and was told that if I didn't want an occurrence, I'd have to post my remaining shift on the trade board for someone else to pick up. Needless to say I picked up my child.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible, everyone is not a liar.

Worst company to work for.

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Riverside, CA

Prosnothing at all, early mornings, late afternoon, bias treatment of those of color, no diversity at all .

ConsSlave labor, they promise a bunch a crap but deliver null.

Advice to Senior Managementquit your job.

Unhappy year after year!

Location Manager II (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCar privilege as a manager...THAT'S IT!

ConsAre you ready for this?

Way too much focus on micro-management, always understaffed yet still expected to perform better than the main competitor which is Enterprise even though most Hertz Local Edition locations are outnumbered 3-1 by surrounding Enterprise locations, managers are held accountable for MANY issues beyond their control, forced to lie to people daily (this specifically wears out those of us with a sense of integrity), never enough time to get required tasks finished and then written up for such things, the company uses a customer satisfaction rating system not to change and improve service, but rather berate its employees when bad surveys come in, they lure people with the promise of monthly or quarterly commission but you'd be lucky to earn $500 extra annually from such payouts, upper management continually changes the commission program to make it increasingly difficult for staff to earn commission, the company has recently had trouble paying out commission to those that have actually earned it and this suggests to me that the company is in financial trouble, it's recent venture into the car-sharing world (Hertz 24/7) was an epic flop which indicates incompetent top down leadership. That's the longest sentence I've ever written!

Here is the worst part, and this is of legitimate, future legal concern for the board, managers are paid a salary even though they are not legally EXEMPT from receiving overtime pay. What I mean by this is that to be considered a "manager" one must have the ability to hire and fire PLUS spend a majority of his/her time doing back office work, not doing actual rentals, driving customers home, and cleaning cars. Yet this is what managers spend a majority of their time doing because of being short handed, nor do they have the ability to hire or fire, that is all done by HR; it's backwards. So, imagine having to run and be responsible for a business where someone else chooses what employees you get and who to get rid of...doesn't make logical sense, right? Anyway, I digress. This means that the company has found a way to make managers believe that they are not owed OT pay when in fact they are ( I think they get away with this in two distinct ways. First, most HLE employees are young and just naive enough not to care about looking into this AND the car privilege does go a long way towards keeping people quiet). Think about all of the hours you have read other current and former employees on this site say they work in an average week and that adds up to a hefty lawsuit!

Oh one last thing, don't think that hard work and perseverance will pay off, you will NOT promote very far unless you are good at being deceptive, generally distrust people and/or have a friend or family member higher up!!!

Worst decade of my life!

Advice to Senior ManagementShut it all down!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Experience

Management Trainee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Paid Weekly
    -Potential Bonus
    -Discounts on rental cars

Cons-Poor Training
    -Poor Compensation
    -Pushed to sell products people do not need

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying college graduates more than $10.50 an hour. It is insulting to require a degree for this position and then not even pay a living wage. I have been paid more working at grocery stores in high school. It is also ridiculous to require your employees to wear business attire and then have us cleaning out cars in 100 degree weather in the back of an auto body shop. Your only solution to this was to bring multiple changes of clothing to work. As a recent college graduate, how can you expect someone who has been spending much more money than they have been making in order to get an education to possess an entire wardrobe of professional business wear or to invest in one only to drench every shirt in sweat and suck every tie up in a vacuum cleaner?

They own you

Branch Manager Trainee (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits from the company. Probably the best benefits package of any in the industry. Healthcare is top notch, retirement and other compensation is comparable to competitors.

ConsThey will work the manager to death. The first job of the manager is running the business, making sure that all the staff is performing to their peak potential, and foremost taking care of the customers. Hertz Equipment Rental believes that the manager's first duty is to complete spreadsheets and spend hours each week on useless conference calls. Take the job and you will realize that you should have went into sales with the company. The Branch Manager is expected to perform all of their duties plus those of others. The company promises the world but delivers the septic tank.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the managers freedom to manage. Time spent in the office sitting in front of a computer filling out useless spreadsheets is a waste of time. Conference calls rehashing information just to hear yourself talk is a waste of everyone's time. Ask the managers what they need to be more efficient instead of having someone that has never done the job tell them what to do.

Eh

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsQuick growth. Pretty okay pay

ConsSales is the only thing that determines promotions. No management experience is required. Upper management is no help.

Well..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood experience, good benefits, flexible schedule.

ConsNegative atmosphere, hard work not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCatch a clue. Read a management book about how to motivate employees.

Living the dream

Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsI'm sure there is a pro, somewhere.

ConsMicro managed, lack of direction, PMED's, management gets huge salary increases while the minions get peanuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

They will destroy your spirit

Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDecent pay if you can make bonuses happen. Plenty of hours to work. Always something to do.

ConsThey will bleed your spirit dry. Poor management structure. Poor treatment of branch managers. Unrealistic expectations. Punishment classes at 6am on Saturdays if sales goals are not met. Time wasting conference calls. Never given the right tools or cars to take care of our customer needs. They will use you.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange.

assistant branch manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdecent hours and good people

Conshard to sell, and crappy pay. also had to clean some dirty cars in a shirt and tie.

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!