Hertz

3.3 1,588 reviews

Hertz Chairman and CEO Mark P. Frissora

Mark P. Frissora

(1,099 ratings)

Pros
  • The environment is fast-paced, high energy and the management team here in the St (in 60 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 255 reviews)

• It's to the point that a "Work/Life Balance" initiative is being put into place by our Area Manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights
1,588 Employee Reviews

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsGreat pay and benefits. I worked in an airport location that had 6 flights in a day. Needless to say, the job was slow so much of it was spent on the internet. I'm sure this doesn't happen at all locations but I must say, that was the easiest job I've ever had.

ConsVery few employees at my location so calling in sick/vacation was almost impossible

Secretarial experience in Billing and Accounting Departments

Secretary (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsThis was an excellent company. All levels of employees were friendly and easy to work with. Work environment and benefits were very good. Very little drama or controversy. Offered opportunities to update your skills on-site as well as off-site at no cost to the employee. Overall, it was a great place to work.

ConsI truly can not remember anything that was not to my liking while working there.

Good experience, not a career for everyone

Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat learning expericence for those fresh out of college, decent benefits, great co-workers... It's super fast faced and the days (and years) go by quickly. Great opportunities to work for your money; a majority of pay is commission and bonus.

ConsOne -man show, long hours, work some holidays, high employee turnover, undercompensated, questionable morals throughout the company, hard to get out - you work so much, it would be like a second job looking for a job

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy new cars more consistently, treat employees like they are valued, pay employees on time, try to foster appreciation even at low levels

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for most, mental toughness is a skill few have

Area Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThis company will challenge you daily. There are no two days that are the same. Compensation and bonus is there for those who work hard and continuously improve. The culture is very transparent and supportive to a point. Again, this is not a job for someone that wants to collect a check and clock out.

ConsThere are holes is leadership that can make certain areas or stores more difficult to work for than others. The amount of work can vary drastically depending on who your direct supervisor is. The quality of life is only good if you set limitations up front and make use of the company approved vacations within their guidelines. You will have to have thick skin as I have seen grown men cry and women have near breakdowns.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on process improvement. There are many processes that are technologically ancient and require staff to do WAY more work and spend more time on menial tasks instead of selling and marketing.

Great Company

Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) Park Ridge, NJ

ProsI really enjoy working here. I started as a temp and then was later hired to a full time employee. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Enjoy the complex and you meet someone new everyday.

ConsWhen I started there was no training and basically had to figure things out myself, which was a waste of time. Need better training for new hires in their field. Also, the company is moving from Park Ridge to Southwest Florida so if you want to move to warmer weather this would be an excellent opportunity to apply for open positions.

Old manager way better

Managerial (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat company to work for. Good pay. Good promotion opportunities. And hertz is just the best anyway

ConsRate wise other are always cheaper!

Advice to Senior ManagementOld VP was given another job. We all miss him and want him back. He was the best !

great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people, good training, okay compensation, great place to start

Conslong hours, not enough opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementmore bonuses

Exhausting and stressful

ProsFree car, gas, and insurance if you make it to Branch Manager. Great experiences dealing with the customers that are polite and respectful as well as the vast majority of employees are agreeable and friendly.

Cons-Extremely long hours. Not uncommon for Branch Managers (BMs) to work from 7am - 7pm several days a week and potentially work Saturday shifts as well with no overtime for any of it because you are salaried.
    -EXTREMELY high stress; run yourself and your employees ragged literally all over the city to get cars for accounts and customers all while having a seemingly endless number of tedious reports and back office procedures that have completed by the end of every day (hence why BMs often stay late).
    -Fluctuating to non-existent incentive pay (even when it was clearly earned according to the plan they provided) and absolutely zero explanation or communication as to why. Positions below BMs can receive monthly incentives as well but the values that they have to acquire to make any real gains from these are for the most part ludicrous.
    -Strictly negative reinforcement. Meet their (lofty) goals or you're written up and fired.
    -Upper management completely out of touch with day to day operations of a branch. Increasingly impose new mandates and rules that must be adhered to often times in complete opposition to the way things need to be done to get through the day.
    -Dealing with the half of customers that are not polite and/or respectful.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked for this company for over 7 years, and for the first few years it was a great experience. However, seemingly since the company became publicly traded, the experience has devolved into something I would not wish on my worst enemy. The company has shifted from focus on customer service and employee satisfaction to straight up money grinding. No thought or care is given at any point to the well being of its employees. The top tiers of this company consistently get huge raises while their frontline employees struggle to make ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Concern for the well being of your employees should be paramount. Of course the company needs to make money, but it does not need to do so on the broken backs and crushed spirits of its people. Quite frankly upper management should be ashamed of themselves for the levels of stress, long hours, and low pay you saddle your employees with. One of the company's mottos implies that Hertz sets itself apart from its competition by the quality of people it employs. While I whole heartedly agree that Hertz' staff is far more personable and far less devious than some of its competition, it is abundantly clear that the company could care less about retaining those employees over the long term. Minimize the tedious work loads of extra reports to help reduce stress and help your vigorously hard working employees by paying them accordingly so they don't feel under appreciated. You NEED good employees to keep customers and bring in new ones. Show your people that you understand this by compensating them accordingly; whether by cost of living increases in base pay or merely providing them the incentives YOU promised them in a timely fashion.
    Employee morale needs a needs a shot in the arm.

However, I'm quite certain none of them will read this "advice" anyway because I am also quite certain that none of them care.

ProsThe fellow employees were great to work with. Regular customers were also very pleasant.

ConsThe workload can get intense and can cause a lot of stress.

This is the place to be!!!!

Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA

ProsGreat people a lot of opportunities for advancement. You put in the time/effort the rewards will follow. Good hrs and weekends off.

ConsHaven't found any as of yet. Maybe just the long hrs that's about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever allow the people below you feel unappreciated.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!