Hertz

3.3
1,803 Reviews

Hertz President and CEO John Tague
John Tague

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment, never a dull day that sure beats a cubical (in 66 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all (in 93 reviews)

• sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 272 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service

I worked at Hertz

Pros

Money, Co Workers and the people who would come from all over.

Cons

Hours and the managers. The constant mandated hours

A lot of potential but very poorly run overall. For local management to corporate management.

Former Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Independent operation allowed to find and develop business.

Cons

Was not paid full commissions, Hertz withheld up to 40% of bonus/comm checks. Managers only care about themselves. Long hours, 50-55 hours a week. Pay off a PY performance instead of a profit structure, so if a previous manager had a great month because of weather or a special event, no matter how well the current manager does with controlling costs and driving revenue you may not bonus vs the previous year. Poor structure.

Communicate with employees about pay and remove all the red tape it takes to get anything done by installing local corporate offices per state or region.

This is not hertz

Current Employee - Manager in Estero, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Estero, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros anymore

Cons

What are They doing? Working in the field might be ok. But being at Naples headquarter I wonder what they are thinking in letting go 2 senior VP's. One with a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience of 33 yrs. Gets things done and was doing something very important which will
    Now go down the drain again. The other also very experienced a his title will be replaced again in a month when they figure out the made a mistake. Very sad. Yes let's rely on the Ceo who comes from airline industry. And financial who comes from hotel industry. They have no clue what car rental is and obviously like to drive a former glorious company down in the ground. What a shame.

Over work with little pay

Former Employee - Location Manager II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Location Manager II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz

Pros

Free car no gas or insurance to worry about

Cons

Work crazy hours even required to take work home . No work life balance. Horrible customers to deal with.

Get more involved instead of sitting behind a desk

Overrated

Current Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

As a manager with company car privileges you can fly into any domestic airport and drive a company vehicle. Opportunities for furthering education.

Cons

Work - life balance is non-existent. Unfortunately, I myself am not striving to be a GM simply because it appears your expected to make greater sacrifices in your personal life. Some of the working conditions are unfavorable. Lack of team leadership.

Need to have a higher standard. We shouldn't be renting cars with 60 to 70k miles - it's embarrassing and contributes to diminishing the brand.

Rental sales agent

Current Employee - Rental
    Current Employee - Rental

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

Compensation can be good if you are a good salesperson

Cons

Very stressful environment, your dealing with people that are in line to get a car for like an hr, so there not the friendliest and most of the time very rude, not a job for everyone,

Avoid at all costs, even if its the only job you can get fresh out of college.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

So to begin, I want to make it clear this review is only for the Chicago land area. I cannot speak for the hertz locations outside of that area so their experiences may differ.

As I write this review I truly find myself finding a hard time finding Pros for this position. But I will be as objective as I can.

1. Pay- Outside of college you can make some decent money here, the secret lies in the overtime, but you will work your but off to a ridiculous amount, I will mention that in the cons.

2. 40% discount on rental vehicles- You and up to 9 friends/family members can get a 40% discount when they rent which is awesome. A full size vehicle could end up being $18/day which is always nice.

3. Not tied down-You don't just sit at a desk all day, you move around clean and drive cars, etc.

Cons

Unfortunately the Pro list does not balance the cons list in the slightest.

1. Pay-You start off in our area at 10.75/hour which is less then many other positions, even in some fast food locations. They pay time and 1/2 for overtime which is great until you work 20 hours of overtime every week and it gets old very quick. At the suburban locations you are looking at a minimum of 55 hours a week. If you take your 1 hour lunch break then only 50 hours Is paid. If you work a Saturday that's an even 60 at least. Most locations spend a substantial amount of time before opening and after closing getting ready for the following day.

2. Understaffed- The reason that so many hours are being worked is because the area is horribly understaffed. I've heard they are not hiring to many people because they want to make sure the people who they hire won't burn out after a couple weeks. Unfortunately that causes the people who are working to burn out quicker.

3. Training- There is virtually no training program. They say you will get a solid 2 weeks of training/shadowing before they put you behind the desk. For me, 1 day of paperwork, 1 day of learning how to read a reservation list and the protection that hertz offers, 3 days of running cars to O hare, and the rest was spent on their online teaching course called learning connection. 50% of what was on that was there for simply liability reasons, 25% was only applicable to certain positions and the last 25% which was actually helpful was poorly done. I had no experience writing contracts and when you get into your location and learn how easy it is to mess up an insurance contract, you are stepping on egg shells.

4. Work/life balance- Bottom line there is none. You virtually live at work. They have flex time where you can come in late or leave early, this is only the case when you have the staff to manage the store when you are down a person.

5. This is a SALES position- One thing that I felt lied to about was the emphasis that there is on sales. They want you selling insurance to 1 out of every 3 people. If you don't you get written up. Your job security and how quickly you move up in the company is based on that. Your encouraged by the general manager to see people as $$$, which is something I cannot bring myself to do.

6. Management- Branch managers are great. Above that they only care about your sales numbers, the branch's utility rate, and the NPS (Customer service rating). They don't care about what's going on in your life, only that you do your job.

Hire more people so your employees don't get burned out. Go with positive reinforcement, I would much rather try to sell if it just provides me with a bonus rather then a threat of job security.

A great company but with a curable form of cancer

Current Employee - Mid Management At Headquarters in Estero, FL
    Current Employee - Mid Management At Headquarters in Estero, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hertz is an iconic brand in the car rental industry long admired by customers and other car rental peers. As a mid management employee, I have come across great employees in front line and even at headquarters that truly care about their company. Hertz has a great potential to be a world class leader.

Cons

This company has been suffering from a terrible form of "cancer" since many years ago. These "cancer cells" embedded within the company have led to results that finally became visible to customers, shareholders and employees. Just read the news and review the various SEC filings. As a relatively new employee (1 year) I feel embarrassed to work here after working for two other Fortune 500 companies world class leaders in their industry segments. Imagine how it felt joining Hertz and finding a team of bandits running your company, our poor customers experiencing long lines to get a dirty old vehicle, our shareholders unable to get real financial statements and employees having their retirement benefits diminished....and your car rental peers look at you at industry meetings like a wounded dog. I'm happy that we are starting to see changes from the top down and new cars joining the fleet. But there is a tremendous work ahead to get rid of the remaining "cancer cells" within the company and repair the significant damage left behind. I believe this company will have a rough time the next 12 to 18 months before it starts to get any better.

My advice to the new CEO and Board members is to quickly diagnose the problematic areas within your management team and get rid of them fast. Most of those associated with the old Mark Frissora regime needs to go. Some old timer employees from the Park Ridge team are also cancer cells poisoning many of the new talented employees you have hired in Florida. They resist change and are holding back the company with 1980s mindset. Just as you plan to invest in the new fleet, there needs to be a balanced approach to invest in new integrated IT systems and employees. Implement 360 feedback reviews urgently for everyone in the company to create "heat maps" of your problem areas. We are hungry for leadership, business strategy, and creating a unified team across the company. We want to help you succeed but we need you to listen and care. There is still time to kill the cancer and emerge from this disease as a world class leader in the car rental industry. Good luck Mr. Tague and you have my support to make OUR company the greatest. I have been ready since day 1 to roll up my sleeves and get to work to fix this place!

Hertz needs some sun, they're far too shady

Current Employee - ERS in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - ERS in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about this company is the coworkers

Cons

Everything. management lies, poor business practices.. etc.

Get better management.

very unorganized in the management department

Former Employee - Instant Return Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Instant Return Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

working with co workers was the best part of working there

Cons

worst management I've ever seen. do not care for the people at all, just the bottom line.

do not be so quick to fire employees..