Hertz

3.3
1,869 Reviews

Hertz President and CEO John Tague
John Tague

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment, never a dull day that sure beats a cubical (in 66 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all (in 93 reviews)

• sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 272 reviews)

More Highlights

The New Hertz

I worked at Hertz

Pros

It's a job that provides a check.

Cons

Management continues to reduce staffing and expects existing employees to make pick up the slack. Little or no training. Number of vehicles in fleet is low, many high mileage cars.

Poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many. Decent benefits though not as good as they used to be.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Extraordinarily disorganized. Promotions are extremely difficult based on merit and qualification alone.

Senior management must address the need for cultural change. There is little communication and cooperation between departments.

Just like a lot of companies

I worked at Hertz

Pros

I get to drive a lot of cars

Cons

There's a lot of cons. Too much to list.

Hire more people.

Run for the hills

I worked at Hertz full-time

Pros

If you like no life and no direction this is the perfect place to work. I did learn how to lie with a straight face working here too.

Cons

I had to deal with brainless racist upper management. No one knows what's going on, but will give you unreachable goals and give you weak advice when you confront them on how to reach it. They do not care about locations running out of cars or angry accounts/ customers. They know there is high turnover so don't expect them to back you up. I've sit in all these "training" sessions and weekly meetings where all they do is talk trash about branch managers and lower. Then they talk trash about each other after the meeting. In one of the weekly meetings The regional manager asked me why I was hiring employees with non american names. Glad I quit this horrific company.

Please stay at hertz. We don't need you to bring your cancerous ways to another company.

Sales

I worked at Hertz

Pros

3 weeks paid vacation,the only pro

Cons

Understaffed,bad schedule,late hours,a lot of standing and running around

Help your agents when they are busy without them having to call you

Long hours, stagnant pay

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

Decent cars to rent, nice customers (generally)

Cons

Long hours, pay remains stagnant

Stop existing in a bubble

Management Training program is a scam!

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

-Lots of opportunity for hours especially overtime

Cons

-Hours- They will tell you the hours are 8-5 M-F but that is a lie. Most locations are 7:30-6 pm M-F and Saturday 9-12.
    - Pay is a joke ($10.50/hr)
    -They will move you to new work locations with out thinking or asking you first
    -Upper management is a bunch of skeeves that hit on you and blow cigarette smoke in your face thinking its attractive.
    -High turnover rate
    -After you quit, you will NEVER SEE YOUR RETRO PAY!

My Story:
     I applied and quickly accepted the job at Hertz as an MT thinking the hours were typical 8-5 and knowing the pay was so so. After training without telling me, they moved me to a new work location that was never discussed and happened to be almost an hour from my home. Where the training location was 5 minutes. Realizing this was not the path for me I quit after a month. During my month of employment, we were all given a pay raise of 1 dollar making the wage $11.50/hr. I have yet to see a dime of that pay raise. I have contacted the company multiple times and they all pass me to the next person saying Ill get my pay eventually. It has been 3 months and I have yet to receive my money. Which totals to almost $300 in retro pay they owe me. I could take them to court, but it would cost me more in court fees that I am owed and they know that. Horrible company that I am sure to never do business with in the future. Good luck to anyone else who falls into their trap, its not worth it!!

Don't lie during the interview process about the hours, pay and location and you will be able to actually retain employees.

RUN....

Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training
    Former Employee - MIT Manager In Training

I worked at Hertz

Pros

Meeting cool people and getting free food at the hotel.

Cons

Everything! Long hours, Micromanagement etc etc. Nothing really positive here

Do better.

abm

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

this i a good job to have and drive cars around

Cons

they are always taking away some type of pay or not paying you at all.

pay people what they are worth

They bought out Dollar Thrifty Corporation. They are successfully running it into the ground.

I worked at Hertz

Pros

A good option to consider straight out of college, gain some knowledge/experience, then move on.

Cons

The company is riddled with dead weight manager that ride off the coat tails of others. There exist lots of bureaucracy and hypocrisy. No accountability for some and impossible odds for others. It seems the more tenured you are the more "untouchable your are". Likewise, the more contacts you have pocketed on your side the better chance you have to ride for free. The company is quick to stress cost savings but has no problem making dumb decisions that cost the company plenty. If you work on the Dollar/Thrifty brands you will be 2nd class....Hertz seems to get most priorities on all subjects. Raises are few and far apart. Commissions are just as rare. When a raise occurs it is in the form of the % increase in commissions. Since you rarely see any commission, the raise is practically worthless. Even some of the most tenured managers at Hertz don't understand their own compensation plan that was obviously written by legal, meant to confuse the Hell out of the reader, saves the company money by making targets very challenging to obtain, and changes regularly to ensure that Managers never reach goals.

It's your third CEO in just a few months. Get rid of dead weight. Let Dollar / Thrifty Managers run the company and allow show you how a company is supposed to be run effectively and efficiently.