Hertz Reviews

3.5
1,685 Reviews

Hertz Interim CEO Brian P. MacDonald
Brian P. MacDonald

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment, never a dull day that sure beats a cubical (in 62 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all (in 87 reviews)

• sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 258 reviews)

More Highlights

terrible place to work

Current Employee - Mechanic B  in  Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Mechanic B in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Hertz full-time for less than a year

Pros

steady work, a great deal of overtime, too much for a life outside of work

Cons

The supervisors are untrained and are just downright mean

upgrade the shops and hire good supervisors

Awful

Former Employee - Manager Associate  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hertz full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Dental, vision, medical
    -Overtime
    -Vacation is reasonable

Cons

-Pay is terrible. 10$ an hour for this?
    -You will be understaffed.
    -Cleaning cars that are already dirty, you don't have the tools to really clean them, you can get them "presentable"
    -You will get yelled at by customers and you will to deal with extremely cheap people.
    -Selling people insurance they don't really need isn't as difficult as you would think but your goals are always looming over you and you WILL get written up if you don't meet them
    -Job is hard on your body, you stand 9+ hours a day and you will stoop and bend to clean cars, suvs, vans.

-Raise pay grade to atleast 15$ an hour.
    -"lean" isn't really working and you are being overrun by Enterprise

For nearly 10 years, Hertz continues to offer a sequence of rewarding challenges.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is endless growth opportunity at Hertz Local Edition. The compensation, PTO, and benefits are excellent. Members of the management program are rewarded not only financially, but learn all facets of running a business from top to bottom. The competitive culture rewards performance to no end. Coming out of college with a general LAS degree and no management experience, I cannot think of a better direction I could have taken.

Cons

While I cannot list a true "con" of this program, the pace of the business can be demanding and often calls for long hours. The job does call for administrative work and reconciliation but this is by no means a traditional "desk work." Rental Car requires a unique level of energy and stamina, ideal for those that thrive in a fast pace.

Aug 7, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback. The Hertz history is built on an entrepreneurial spirit and we truly travel at the speed of Hertz.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Opportunities If You APPLY Yousaelf

Current Employee - QA Analyst -CRM  in  Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - QA Analyst -CRM in Bonita Springs, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time for less than a year

Pros

First off, I am in the corporate office. I have awesome co-workers. My Manager is excellent. Upper management ideology is in full force, which supports employees in all areas of growth. I love working here and look forward to a long, happy career. I feel appreciated and witnessed. There are many opportunities for advancement, if you apply yourself.

Cons

So far, in my experience - NONE.

Keep doing what you are doing. The opportunities and educationyou offer to us is unparalled.

You get what you put into it

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is not the greatest but if you work hard enough you get bonuses and profit bonuses as well. When you're hitting on all cylinders it's nice getting a bonus every two weeks.

Cons

Delay in bonus payouts can be very frustrating at time. You are expected to work 50 hours or so per week and sometimes more.

Be upfront with your employees and give realistic time-frame for promotions. I have seen many new employees get frustrated with the unrealistic times given.

Great until you become a manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Bountiful, UT
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Bountiful, UT

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning experience of all aspects of business from customer service to the background of running a business

Cons

The pay is atrocious, they constantly shut off benefits and are unable to pay for basic service, the hours are very VERY long and they base a 'salary' based on 60 hours of work a week. The bonus that they promise is rarely paid, even throughout most of this year they have only paid a fraction of the bonus that was promised and have had many empty promises of catching up on paid bonus. They are also very understaffed

Get more help. Stop turning off procurement cards, make things easier to use instead of needlessly complicated. Senior management also cares more about having meetings than actually doing any work

Great Company with huge opportunity for professional growth on a serious career path

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation package
    Flexibility with schedule
    company car
    Great people to work with
    On the job training to better professional experiences
    Exposure to working with different types of customers, from leisure to corporate employees

Cons

While working for Hertz, there have been minor issues, but if expressed, the company does listen and will implement change. The company has implemented a work life balance schedule that makes it better for all

Keep the line of communication open at all times, and do the best thing possible to continue to follow through with being open and honest with all employees.

Aug 7, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback GM from Chicago, IL. As an organization, we do pride ourselves on being transparent and offering ways for employees to provide feedback so we can improve our processes and ... More

Car Privileges and Insurance in no way balance out the daily mental beating one endures

Current Employee - Location Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Location Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Car Privileges
    Great Benefits
    When it is good, it is GREAT! Those days are few and far between.
    The opportunity to REALLY take care of a customer is THE most rewarding.

Cons

The location will not allow for personal/professional growth because the business will always come first. The company sacrifices employee morale to increase the profitability, to which location managers see none of.

The company is getting too big, therefore the quality is suffering. The quality in the products that are offered and the service provided. In order for this Brand to be successful, the company needs to scale back and re-center their values. Happy employees make for happy customers. When employees are taken care of, provided for and FEEL supported day in and day out, then they will provide the utmost levels of customer service, despite what the customers issues are. Employees will go out of their way to make a positive impression on their customers IF they are given the tools for success.

There is a reason Enterprise is killing Hertz

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people. I absolutely love the people I work with. The stores bond up and work together due to lack of support from the higher ups.

Cons

total lack of actual training. Just regurgitation of corporate buzz words and wooden sales methods. Burger flipper money. 60 hour work weeks. The HLEs are treated like the red headed step child of the company and often cut off from the airport when they need vehicles to fill reservations.

more training will reduce insane turnover

Exciting, challenging and a lot of opportunity- never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Area Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Every day is a new experience and adventure- no two days are ever the same. There are challenges that allow for tremendous personal growth and it is an incredibly rewarding job and company. The ability to help others and create relationships that grow and last through years- while also being recognized and rewarded by the company makes this job worth every minute!

Cons

The growth of the company can occasionally lead to temporary staffing concerns- but things always seem to work out in the end!

Aug 7, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thanks for your feedback Area Manager from Seattle, WA.

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!