Hertz

3.3 1,590 reviews

Hertz Chairman and CEO Mark P. Frissora

Mark P. Frissora

(1,101 ratings)

Pros
  • The environment is fast-paced, high energy and the management team here in the St (in 60 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy (in 255 reviews)

• It's to the point that a "Work/Life Balance" initiative is being put into place by our Area Manager (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights
1,590 Employee Reviews

its is okay. ok pay

Prosmeet a lot of different people

Consvery long hours with minimal pay

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more in employees

Many talented branch managers and associates continue to be lost.

ProsCar and gas for manager, ability to make decisions, 401k, travel perks.

ConsNo genuine care for employees, lack of professionalism, you are expendable when the going gets tuff! College degree has no value as some get promoted without one.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal area management needs to treat employees and accounts as assets. They have understand there respect must be earned. Quality work is not valued over quantity. It is impossible to attract good talent at barely over federal minimum wage.

No real responsibility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe best thing about working at Hertz is the money, you have opportunities to a lot of money if your good at sales. Plenty of overtime available and great benefits.

ConsLack of team work and management support.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs more training or more qualifications need to stand for new managers coming in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Living the dream

Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsI'm sure there is a pro, somewhere.

ConsMicro managed, lack of direction, PMED's, management gets huge salary increases while the minions get peanuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth.

They will destroy your spirit

Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDecent pay if you can make bonuses happen. Plenty of hours to work. Always something to do.

ConsThey will bleed your spirit dry. Poor management structure. Poor treatment of branch managers. Unrealistic expectations. Punishment classes at 6am on Saturdays if sales goals are not met. Time wasting conference calls. Never given the right tools or cars to take care of our customer needs. They will use you.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange.

Good company with limited opportunities

Branch Manager In Training (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsAs a sales job, this is a great job. I have developed my techniques that work for me and keeps the customers laughing. Monthly and quarterly bonuses are excellent as long as long as you can make the quota's.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement unless you are a number getter. Can not move to other avenues with in the company until you manage a branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementAle employees move with it being management. List good talent due to limitations

Great company good pay and incentives

Location Manager I (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team members and a structure of support that will help you at anytime. Great incentives like company car (when you are a front line manager) and bonus structure that allows you to gain what you put forth with work.

ConsThe hours can be long but rewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat training programs and the sky is the limit, you can grow with this past moving company and turn a job into a career. Many different fields to advance into.

Hertz Response

Jun 24, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

Thank you - Location Manager - for your review. Career advancement is important to us. Our learning and development team is dedicated to creating and delivering robust training programs to help our ... More

Fast paced, challenging and forever changing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is potential to make a lot of money. You meet outstanding people and are challenged daily. Excellent discount on cars for travel!

ConsVery unstable upper management. Very little leadership. Being in operations means long hours 6 days a week at least. Work life balance may be a little off for the first years.

Stayed 2.5 years...that was 2.5 years too long

Location Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsFree car and gas...also had that perk when I traveled the country which was extremely nice! I got enough experience in customer service to realize I really didn't like it.

ConsWhere to begin? How about at the beginning. Job listing was misleading, I was under the impression it was an MT position...it was actually for the LM position. Terrible training program, very disorganized. I spent 6 weeks training and spent most of my time shuttling cars. Smaller locations are mostly forgotten about and poorly maintained, it took me a year to get things on track! Terrible company culture, constantly threatened for not making sales (hard to convince customers LDW isn't a scam) and told to write up employees for not making sales (never did this, I found this to be unfair and counterproductive). Very low starting pay, and if you work more than 40 hrs a week (which was all the time!) you're making less than minimum wage. Benefits not great either. Absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE...most of my "vacations" we're working vacations because upper management was lazy and unsupportive. Constantly understaffed and had to fight to hire...hard to buy necessary items as pcards were always shut down. Maintaining fleet was a nightmare! Terrible communication between front line ops and upper management. By the end I was working 80 hours a week, mostly cleaning cars in 100+ degree weather and getting heat sick everyday for over a month...had to go to the hospital for treatment! My health was deteriorating rapidly, I had to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR FRONT LINE!!!!! Take ops managers concerns into consideration before completely dismissing them, otherwise you'll lose great talent to better employers. Provide support also, isn't that supposed to be your job anyway? Also think about promotional programs more thoroughly...Hertz for Heroes was a great idea....TERRIBLE execution, lost tons of money on that. I think being a part of the community would be great! Sponsor volunteer programs would be one way. Cultivate a better team culture...maybe some sort of competitive sports team or something? Also more coaching and support and less threats.

Don't care at all about their employees

Manager Trainee (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsIt's a decent company to learn the general aspects of running a business if you're not familiar with them (back office tasks, account management etc).

ConsEverybody below the area manager level was forced to work almost 60+ hour weeks (10.5 hour days consistently) during season for months on end. We were all so burned out it was ridiculous, but all management cares about is keeping your numbers up. The whole business model is based around keeping barely enough cars around to fill your reservations, and so many days you'll be stressfully scrambling to find any cars in the area. Most other branches are selfish and wont usually help you, and upper management are of no help whatsoever. I would give cars to other branches to help but when I needed help I was told it was due to "poor planning". The company doesn't treat the employees with compassion at all, and because we were so short-staffed it was almost impossible to get days off if you needed them. If I were to have actually used any of my sick days it would have been absolute chaos and I would have severely screwed over any of my few coworkers working that day. I can't believe a corporation this big actually has branches that are run in such a manner, and it seems to be a pretty common theme. They're entirely set up to provide horrible customer service, so it's no wonder consumers are wary of rental car companies tricks and schemes. They love overcharging customers randomly and correcting billing errors takes an eternity and it's essentially stealing money from the customers. When they call to ask what we've done with their money we could only awkwardly apologize and say the company was trying to fix it when really we had no control over Hertz holding onto their money. The company is run like an absolute joke, and I would severely recommend nobody work for them if you want to maintain any sort of sanity or lust for life. A terrible, terrible place to be employed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees. Actually offer proper training and don't just say you do. During season, actually give your branches cars to rent to customers. If you want to get numbers up, you need cars to rent. It's really a simple concept.

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!