Hertz Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
1940 reviews filtered by

Worst organization I ever worked for!!!

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When you become a branch manager you get to drive any car you want in your lot and unlimited gas.

Cons

The only thing about working as a manager you pretty much have to work from open to close everyday since it gets pretty busy all the time and your employees need you at all times! I don't know if it was just my state that had a pretty messy organization and management.

Please try to keep with your promises to your employees such as pay and bonuses also to not change things around often. Last but not least give them a break!

I'd rather live at home if it were an option

Current Employee - ABM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ABM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good to work here if you are fresh out of college and able to look for a job after hours as long as you don't have a social life

Cons

Management. Stress. Relying on other employees and branches who rarely follow through. Always having to replace ruined clothing with no support of the company.

*real hertz employee*
    Upper management lets you know that they don't care about you. Gives you short notice of changes and expects you to bend over backwards to fulfill the demands. But if you were sitting in a chair from 9-5 bossing around your employees dressed in shirt and tie cleaning and running around doing a blue collar job dressed in white collar clothing would you care? Of course not. This job is only something I would recommend if you have no other options or are looking for a job to make ends meet until you find something else. Make hertz the option before living on the street, because even if a customer curses you out and threatens your life to your face over doing the job exactly as you are told to do, you're still in the wrong. Good luck.

3. Enjoyed working for the company.

Current Employee - Domestic Reservations Agent in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Domestic Reservations Agent in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your starting pay is 10.25,

Cons

Your schedule is based on amount of time with company. Newer employees have later shifts

Find ways to work with employees who are loyal to the company

5. Renting and preparing cars for rental as well as check ins.

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very social business with much interaction with customers. Very rewarding as well as providing challenge.

Cons

Dealing with very irate customers handling billings and insurance claims as well as body shop problems.

Extreme follow up and coordination keeping our equipment in top repair is crucial. We use printers, computers and other equipment constantly as well as keeping rental units in top repair.

6. Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

Good resume builder for those looking to break into the professional realm

Cons

Don't let the title fool you, purely a sales job.

Consumers is far more aware of what they need and don't need. Basing a sales model off of up sales will eventually hurt your company and turn customers off to the rental experience. This is particularly important to remember with shop rentals.

Don't let them fool you, broken promises and wages

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can meet some cool people. The people you work with are your support, even if they drive you crazy sometimes.

Cons

Where to start.
    1. You're basically on your own, your store I mean. Most of the time you'll have NO cars, so you'll be getting yelled at a lot.
    2. Hertz right now is going through a really bad financial crisis. It used to be that you'd work such long hours that it would drive you crazy, but at least you'd get somewhat of an ok pay. they RECENTLY cut overtime, you are only allowed to work 40 hours a week, making it almost really difficult to live on. They are trying to say that this is for the employees, but it wasn't until a recent talk with a manager in Houston did I learn that they're basically making up for all the money they've lost.
    3. You might say, or they might tell you, "your bonus will make up for all the lack of income you get" which is true, but sadly, they change the bonus system so much that it's really hard to do that, and for the people that do do that, there's a lot of issues ethically that you have to do. FOR EXAMPLE, giving someone a car that SHOULD NOT be on the road, which happens almost twice a day.
    A lot of illegal things go on there

Another thing, all the good reviewS on here are written by corporate... AFTER THEY WERE VOTED ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR.

Treat your employees like they're smart, not stupid. I'm quitting tomorrow, I was able to put everything together, and I WILL be going to the press.

8. Hertz Review

I worked at Hertz

Pros

Good work life balance, flat heirarchy

Cons

Need better collaboration and communication across teams

Greater collaboration between, marketing, sales, operations

9. Work hard, make money

Current Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Branch Manager in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Hertz

Pros

Car + gas + insurance
    Can make great bonuses
    Great people
    Freedom

Cons

Long hours
    Dirty work (sometimes)
    Annoying customers
    Unrealistic expectations from mgmt

Quit changing the bonus structure every 6 months

Challenging, Don't count on Commissions. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE. Also includes Dollar and Thrifty

Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Key West, FL
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Key West, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good, Excellent benefits and wonderful vacation schedules, Great employee rental rates. Other than that couldn't say anymore positives.

Cons

The worst customer service job I ever had. People mistreat the staff and talk down to you and verbally abuse you then complain to corporate and corporate will bend over backwards to do everything possible to keep the jerks coming back Which if you had fleet this would avoid alot of the issues . Always out of the cars you need and generally never anything for upgrades to make money because of the lame gold member program that allows a free car class upgrade so at the key west location people always reserve the cheapest car knowing they will get that free upgrade and generally most know there are never enough economy cars available so chances are they will end up with a midsize to fullsize free of charge. Poor Dollar and Thrifty agents use to make excellent commissions and always had cars until Hertz bought out that brand. Commission structure is HORRIBLE and nobody's job should be based on the amount of insurance a person will buy because usually their regular insurance will transfer over to rentals. Wake up Area and Sales managers...people don't come to Key West to drive flashy cars like they do on the mainland especially when they are spending 400 plus a night on hotel accommodations. Then these lame mindshare surveys....jesus christ... really???? people will always have something to complain about and the ones that do have a wonderful experience generally never speak up and do the surveys. Probably outsourced jobs to India anyways. Also last but not least always watch yourself around the holidays as that is usually the time Hertz decides to go through cost saving measures and start cutting jobs...ended up losing two great assistant mangers at that time...one on the Hertz side and one on the Dollar side....poor guys. Corporations suck.

Branch manager and assistant were wonderful and helpful in every way possible as was the former area manager that they decided to get rid of. However upper management above them SUCK. Always being pushy with sales yet not supplying you with the fleet. Thought this was the local management issue until one day listening in on a fleet call and hearing the people in Miami denying them cars to be sent down because they didn't want to spend the money. I did hear with my own ears someone in Miami saying absolutely not .. we will not be sending cars to Key West.

11. Fast paced

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyday is something different, always on the move.

Cons

Very unorganized. They want you to make sales goals that are not obtainable by ethical work.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your assets