Hertz Reviews

Reset
2.5
Hertz President and CEO John Tague
John Tague

Pros
  • It is a fast-paced environment where key metrics are tracked (in 66 reviews)

• Great opportunity for advancement within the Company (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Low job satisfaction / low pay / limited commission bonuses / bad work-life balance (in 93 reviews)

• very long hours with minimal pay (in 272 reviews)

Hertz Talk the Talk but do they Walk the Walk

Former Employee - Manager IT Support in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager IT Support in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, international corporation. Ability to establish friendships and bonds with co-workers across different continents.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership examples set by the very top position and his senior management team. Corrupt practices seen as the established path to follow with very little regard to the consequences that may apply to the general workforce. Hertz certainly do not Walk the Walk.

Advice to Management

,Get back to basics, be more ethical. Review and cease the constant flow of cost cutting "initiatives" that have demoralised the workforce. Take a walk in the shoes of your employees who work on the shopfloor. Have more respect and consideration to both your customers and employees with regard to the age and condition of the Hertz Car Rental Fleet.

Hertz employees are asked to enter excellent reviews! It's all lies. Please block this fraudulent behaviour Glassdoor.

Current Employee - Manager in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Isn't it obvious that the good reviews coming in concentrated batches look obviously fake? The same happened a while back, when directors and above were told to enter reviews.

Cons

Leadership is weak, dishonest and highly political. The company is totally focused on cost cutting at ALL costs. Management are recruited because they are cheap 'yes-men' and not because they have any relevant skills and challenge the status quo. Often this is internal promotion, because who wants external candidates with opinions and ideas - right? Pay is poor, and they want to pay less. Performance management is a non-existent joke. The staff satisfaction survey ('Pulse') is even funnier. Frissora is obsessed with the market perception of Hertz, including sites like this.

Advice to Management

Rediscover your humanity, ethics and backbone or resign. Stop bowing to Frissora's ego and trying to build his bank balance - we are all losing because of this.

3. One to remember

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(Specifically to Hertz Europe Ltd) The workplace is normally quite relaxed and informal and the diverse backgrounds and different nationalities of the workforce contribute towards an even more positive environment. I have had the pleasure of working with highly-skilled and knowledgeable people, who have been at Hertz for over 20 years and are an invaluable asset for the business, as well as a precious source of information and help for the younger and less experienced team members. In my opinion the awareness of the importance of working for a global leader in the sector has a positive effect on employees’ performance. If you engage with the business concept and fully appreciate what it takes to become, and maintain such a prestigious position in a very competitive market, you will then strive for excellence in your role, you will enjoy even more and perhaps lay the foundation for what could be a brilliant and fulfilling career in the organisation. We should also recognise and appreciate that Hertz have been able to absorb relatively well the external shocks associated with the recession, thus avoiding the need for restructuring or downsizing. On the whole, a job at Hertz certainly is a valuable working experience at any level and it might well be a job for life to some and/or the start of a brilliant career for others (not all!)

Cons

Goes without saying that large organisations result in heavy bureaucracy that can slow down the decision making process. Hertz might appear to have bureaucracy in place that lacks in internal transparency and fairness, but it can't be assumed to be bad, only because it is a large organisation. In my opinion, it would benefit from more agility and responsiveness. Office politics” can be part of a regular part of the day-to-day culture of any business, Hertz is no exception. When used to gain advantage at the expense of others or the wellbeing of the organization, office politics should be avoided (HR should have a more clear and assertive role when this happens!) Personal suggestion: don't ever engage in any destructive gossip or childish bad-mouthing (remember “what goes around comes around”). Also; should you really share ALL your personal information with your co-workers? Be smart, some of them could be distorted and used against you…. A more effective and responsive IT department (not to mention the equipment) would help speed up some of the daily tasks.

Advice to Management

The overall knowledge and professionalism is remarkably high. However, there are many executives who make excellent No. 2s and act as a fine complement to their CEOs but somehow fail when they move into the corner office. Management should be more regularly interacting with employees talking to them to understand the problems they are facing and giving them the additional resources they may need to discharge their responsibilities efficiently. Important factor that should be considered and reviewed: benefits and compensation (e.g. competitiveness with respect to comparable companies), personal grow opportunities, training (update current programme and tools), performance evaluation and appraisal process (to be made more streamlined, achievable and realistic), work/life balance (totally unbalanced!). Better promotion policies should be in place to ensure that the right people are promoted at the right time, and to identify potential candidates for development.

Mixed Experiences

Former Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Brand Some great People You'll never run out of work

Cons

Short term Tactical versus the long term visioning It's who you know that counts; plenty of self serving senior management Politics a plenty

Advice to Management

Walk the talk in terms of people. At senior levels, policing the Values is clearly needed. The Mission Vision and Values are great but all too often are paid lip service.

6. Progressive mobility solution provider who listens and acts upon customer needs

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Progressive - never afraid to change * Open minded - no idea is a bad idea, infact we reward people for succesful new ideas * Great people - to deliver change and great customer experiences, you need great people. That's what we've got!

Cons

* We like change a bit too much! * Remember - we rent cars - it's not rocket science - sometimes we can "over engineer" processes in the pursuit of perfection - let's keep it simple * Company car scheme - being "asset light" does not always mean "employer of choice"

Advice to Management

* Keep listening and acting upon customer and employee feedback * Stop restructuring and let the business focus on deliverying a great service to customers * Take a longer view on decisions

7. My job is different every single day - and like any great relationship it gets better over time!

Current Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The brand, the people: great minds, great ideas across all continents; fantastic access to a host of resources

Cons

as in any large company: daily lessons in diplomacy and politics - which is not such a bad thing

Advice to Management

It is interesting how enterpreneurial one is encouraged to be - sink or swim?

8. Hertz has given me great career opportunities

Current Employee - Sales Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hertz for a few years and have been able to move into new roles every 1-2 years. This has been great for my career, and shows that it is a company that looks to internal talent, and gives opportunities to take on additional responsibilities following success in previous roles. The environment is high pressure and very results driven, but its a high performance business that recognises the work of its employees

Cons

The most difficult thing at Hertz is that we are in a business that is affected greatly by the current tough trading environment, and we operate in a business segment which is very commoditised and in many ways driven purely by price. As the market leader we want to differentiate ourselves more, and we are striving to do that

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. There are many great opportunities for our business, lets make sure we are structured to succeed in all of these

9. Great Company With A Hugely Promising And Exciting Future Ahead

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated colleagues - hard working, determined and loyal. Huge encouragement to increase personal development through training. Has a massive database of freely available training modules. Hertz has values and shows in times of crisis - Hurricane Sandy, Ash Cloud (2010) - we didn't use this as an opportunity to profit from which I am proud to say so. Business has a great future and is investing in technology to offer greater flexibility for customers to rent at a time to suit them. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Many colleagues I work with have service levels of many years - it can't be too bad!

Cons

Decision making process sometimes slow. Not uncommon with large corporations but should be addressed to streamline improvement or change.

Advice to Management

unrealistic impossibly lean concentration camp

Current Employee - Director in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great global brand, better customer experience, underwhelming employee experience

Cons

dated, western, pretentious about asia, better systems and approach in US than UK and Dublin

Advice to Management

you cannot be half pregnant. commit or abort!

Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Hertz full-time

Pros

The company is financially healthy

Cons

Lots of politics, very "old school" type of management, employees are paid differently even within same team and if your face does not fit you will be cut off from any sort of information and so promotion.

Advice to Management

Get some new, fresh blood in , open to feedback and act upon it. Get some qualified HR people with the will and power to change the old school type of bully management you have around.

Showing 10 of 2,267 reviews