Hertz

www.hertz.com

Hertz Reviews in Washington, DC

Hertz Chairman and CEO Mark P. Frissora

Mark P. Frissora

Pros
  • The environment is fast-paced, high energy and the management team here in the St(in 59 reviews)

• There is a lot of opportunity for advancement in a short amount of time here at hertz(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes there are long hours but also can be a pro due to company being busy(in 253 reviews)

• It's to the point that a "Work/Life Balance" initiative is being put into place by our Area Manager(in 76 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poor Company to work for, no regard for employees.

Area Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsManagers get car priviledges from day one.

ConsNo scheduled lunches, 10 hour work days expected. Expected to have Blackberry and email access 24/7 and while on vacation. Continued layoffs since 2006. Unrealistic "uncapped bonus" potential, where large percentage of area management does not even receive a bonus at all. Poor training for new employees, not much support. I had close contact with numerous locations at all levels of management, theme is work in fear and need. Not like or desire.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, value their inputs. Say thank you to them instead of walking into the location for a "show" and to say you know your employees. Your visits are for show, no substance. It's not about a salary but a culture. Currently a culture of fear and threats.

Horrible pay and horrible management

Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsManagement was flexible and worked with family schedule

ConsHorrible base pay of only $10.50 hourly for all the work they ask you to do, never any cars to rent, have to take customer's crap when no cars available which is often, and they always messed up my payroll check weekly!! Horrible

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employee's a better base rate!!

Great employees but terrible upper management

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCommissioned off your sales. You can control how much you make. Work with good people. Company car, and variety of vehicles available. Good for the experience but that's it.

ConsUpper management only look at you as a number. When you perform well the major parts of your job, they are still not satisfied and instead of praising you for what you did well, they are constantly beating you down about things that needs to be fixed and I mean constantly. They don't make you feel as if your job is secure. You are told to "figure it out" without the resources being available to you. Staffing levels are terrible, but yet they still expect you to function like you are a fully staffed location. They will stick a location any and every where so when customers complain about issues with the location, you are expected to fix it when you was not the one who placed yourself there in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on keeping the turnover ratio low. Give you employees praise and don't constantly beat them down. Make them feel secure and not always expendable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hated my experience

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe company has perks that are tied to your performance. So, if you are a determined person who can reach for the skies, one who can tell quite a few white lies here and there you will thrive with the company.

ConsYou work harder than your compensation and the management is highly shady with compensation packages. employees constantly have no job security whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is fair to make sure that your best employees are protected from Managers who are bullies because of self insecurity.

Brutal.

Location Manager I (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFree Gas, Car Insurance & driving around a new car!

ConsAs a location manager, you are more of a salaried shift leader than an actual manager. You catch all the hell from the unhappy customers, run around supporting/working like a slave while the hourly employees are rewarded with uncapped bonuses and the same vacation benefits as you! There's nothing more depressing than finding out the people you are supposed to 'manage' make more than you while working half the amount of time!

With corporate limiting staffing to the bear minimum, location managers are forced to work 11-12 hour shifts (x5) in order to keep things afloat. During busy season location managers are forced to work along side all of their hourly employees for majority of their shifts (renting/cleaning cars/parking cars etc.) rather than actually managing. Often times managers are forced to come in on their off days to compete their managerial duties and paperwork since their is little time during their actual work week to do so.

**Also like to note that while managers step up in place of hour employees, they do not receive any bonus compensation for revenue they bring in, while the counter sales reps get anywhere between 2-10% of revenue they bring in (once they hit a low sales goal). But when your sales numbers aren't very high, you are harassed just like the counter sales reps***

Corporate uses the Free Car/Gas/Insurance Perk as justification for lousy salary and embarrassing quarterly bonuses. Its a great perk but considering all the stress & hell location managers have to deal with on a daily basis, after a while it wasn't worth it! (Around the 6 month mark I was ready to jump ship)

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate management better- Area Managers & Location Managers! You keep expecting more and more out of your locations while shrinking our staff (especially after the Dollar Thrifty merger), shrinking our quarterly bonus and keeping salary the same...

Lots of Opportunity

Area Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe company is expanding and offering many oppertunities for employement and advancement at all levels. Senior management has developed a strong business plan to carry the company into the future and keep Hertz positioned as the industry leader.

ConsCan be challenging at times with long hours. Also, nobody likes cleaning cars but it is the company's product and part of the job so has to be done

Advice to Senior ManagementLike many large corporations messages get lost as they filter through multiple levels of management, so the less steps in the communication the clearer and more effective it becomes for front line employees.

sale and service/ customer service

SSA (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosyou get a discount on cars

Consthe pay sucks, no lunch breaks, mgt doesnt care as long as you are making money amd you work 12hr days

8 months of confusion and pain.

LM1 (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt was great having a company car, but working 12 hour days, so then by the weekend, I was too tired to use it to go anywhere. Not a bad strategy

ConsHonesty and integrity are not valued as much as bottom line and making it look good.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your managers to manage. Use the carrot, not the whip. Use your heads, you can't punish people to get better. Progressive discipline should be combined with retraining and motivation.

2 stars out of 5 , I stayed around due the econmy and need of a steady pay check.

Manager Then Area Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompany car. With Hertz being world wide you can easily get one on your vacation too as a manager.

ConsManagement is so out of of touch. No 'real' thank you, employee appreciation or holiday parties. I worked for Enterprise Rent A Car and they did a much better job taking care of their employees and boosting employee morale, despite the intense presure of sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet approval from corporate to finally upgrade the office locations. The interior office spaces are often located in a cubicle small space either in a dealership or hotel. The free standing locations are the worst real estate locations one can imagine. The office enviornment for any employee is key to morale and overall employee performance. Old carpets, furniture, yellow walls is disatrous for employees and customers. I worked for Hertz for 7 years and heard this every week from someone.

A dysfunctional company losing market share

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Outstanding camaraderie among the front line "grunts"

-The 11 hour workday flies by quickly

-Branch managers can take home any car on the lot at the end of the day and get free gas

-Lazy employees quickly fired

-Off on Sundays

ConsHertz is a good company gone bad. Here's a list of what to expect:

-In my area, unbelievable HR blunders are common. New hires are sent to the wrong branch on day one, branch managers have no input about which candidates to hire, new MT's go for weeks unpaid as their checks are sent to the wrong location, new employees go for months without a security badge being generated which causes all kinds of problems. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior from a Fortune 500 company, and the only response you get from upper management is "Don't worry we will do better"

-The compensation is terrible for what you are asked to do

-Dehumanizing. You aren't a person, to the executives you are employee #345728 at location #01898 and you sold ____ much insurance last month. This is a target-fixated, stats-driven company that believes it can increase sales using negative reinforcement, fear and intimidation. It doesn't matter if the majority of the employees at a branch are getting written up every month, and it doesn't matter if the previous 3 or 4 employees running were fired for low sales numbers: The company's uniform sales policy is unbending. If you actually hit the minimum, no one will ever thank you and you will get no recognition.

-Hertz sets up agency locations at small airports and body shops where non-Hertz employees rent cars to customers. They have no incentive to sell the coverage, yet you as a branch manager are still punished as every single contract you put in from agencies drags your branch sales numbers down. Pilots will *never* accept coverage as they know they have blanket policies from their companies that make Hertz insurance unnecessary.

-It breaks my heart that the insurance adjusters first tell a customer to just say no to Hertz coverage, then when the customer gets to the body shop they are told the same thing, and I have to send an MT out who has no chance of making a sale. The company doesn't care. At times I feel like I'm not even in car rental I am an insurance salesman.

-Morale has hit rock-bottom due to incredibly high turnover, habitual understaffing, and frequent firings for bad reasons. It's like the Soviet Union, you come into work one day and find out who has been purged. They actually fire employees because they "have been there too long and haven't been promoted"

-About half the branches in my area have no manager present, as the previous manager left or was fired and was just never replaced. New hires are thrown into the fire and are expected to run the place with no training or support. Obviously through no fault of their own, disaster happens. Contracts aren't being closed out for weeks leading to $4,000 charges showing up on a customer's credit card. Cars go missing and aren't located for days. Angry vendors throw Hertz out of their location because no one working at the office has the training to answer their questions and the location has at most 2 cars on the lot.

-With only weeks left in the quarter, the company will announce that they are retroactively changing the bonus structure and it is obvious that they are moving the goal posts to avoid paying anything out. Even if your branch customer service scores are stellar, the company uses the NPS (net promoter score) of the *area* instead. What control do I have over the customer service at other branches? This unfair and frequently changing bonus structure leaves branch managers making less money than the hourly employees

-The reservation system has no component that considers whether cars are available at your branch and allows customers to book for SUV's, minivans etc and of course the customers are understandably upset when they arrive to find out you have no cars left on your lot. Corporate policy requires that you never say no to a reservation, and upper management is always making promises that they can get you anything you need on short notice. Of course, they usually don't follow through and the customers are the ones with ruined vacation plans or late appointments. Senior management makes all sorts of promises to small airports, body shops, corporate customers etc, yet as soon as they get off the complaint call about how Hertz never has cars available they announce that they are pulling cars from your location.

-You are so understaffed that you fight the constant phone calls, customer complaints, scrounging to get just one more car back on the lot while you are simultaneously cleaning, doing data entry and answering the phone.. And at the end of the day your only reward is threatening emails from senior management that say you aren't doing enough to grow the business and you didn't sell enough insurance. You ask for more employees to be able to make sales calls, and senior management responds that you will get another employee once you have more revenue. It doesn't matter that Hertz places two employees at an HLE whereas Enterprise would have put 4 or 5 there.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven with the phones-ringing-off-the-hook, the demanding customers and long hours.. This could still be a quality job if we just had basic support from senior management. Stop treating your employees like disposable peasants and stop promoting based solely on who came from Enterprise or who sold the most insurance: Good salesman don't always make good managers. Stop spending your day at meetings, conference calls and sending out emails about meetings and conference calls and just spend *one* day at the branch level to see what the effects of your short-sighted policies are on the employees and customers. We never take breaks and often work through lunch for 11-12 straight hours. Alot of your employees are straight out of college and want to impress you by working hard, but you just simply infuriate them by not recognizing hard work and writing them up for bad reasons making them leave.

I do not believe that the corporate culture at Hertz is ever going to change. At least stop robbing us of our hard-earned money by conveniently changing the bonus structure at the last minute. Replace the employees you fire, at least. Take into consideration the fact that alot of our rentals are being done by agents and not by Hertz employees before you write us up

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!