Heska

Heska Chairman and CEO Robert B. Grieve

Robert B. Grieve

Heska Truly Cares

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHeska holds strong to its promise of making a difference in companion animal health and working to build relationships and earn trust by delivering the utmost in support with integrity and professionalism.

Heska cares about employees and takes the time to recognize birthdays, annivesaries and years of service on a personal level.

Heska provides great benefits such as generous healthcare and dental plans, 401(k) with matching, generous vacation/sick policy.

Heska recognizes employees through exciting recognition programs - employee of the quarter and a program where peers say "thanks" with a comment and token that is rewarded with a $10 gift certificate.

Heska encourages employees to stay healthy through an $250 reimbursement for gym membership, etc.

We are like family - many of us have been here for 10-plus years.

My boss is fantastic and treats me like a person. He also takes the time to help guide and develop my career.

I don't feel like I work for the same company that others describe - Heska truly cares.

ConsThere are some cases where communication can improve across the organization,but isn't that every company?

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and keep treating us the way you do! Thanks!

Former Employees Have It Right

I have been working at Heska

ProsThe benefits are very good, including being able to bring your dog to work. However, like everything else at Heska, some dogs are allowed to get away with a lot because of who their owners are.

ConsI agree with everything that the other former employees have to say. Salaries are not competitive, raises are insulting and the "science" is that good anymore. I can't stand behind the products. Favoritism is rampant. Incompetent favorites are retained and even allowed to head up projects that they are not equipped to carry out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a competent management team. Stop spouting off about the great Heska culture. It doesn't exist unless you are one of the favorites. Reward the hard working employees that carry the company.

Company values people, works to be best solution for veterinarians, and promotes from within

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA company founded on the highest principles for animal healthcare, and expectations of personal accountability. Many perks are provided, including very appealing benefits (company absorbs majority of all costs) bringing our pets to work, recognition of employee birthdays and anniversaries, cookouts, and employee recognition programs like the "purple rocket" award, and "tokens of gratitude" where employees can appreciate each other, nominate outstanding contributors, and the company then rewards with monetary and tangible gifts.

Heska holds quarterly company meetings to go over earnings, inform us about what is going on with results and new initiatives, and answer questions openly. There are no closed doors, or hidden agendas here. The company recognizes employment anniversaries at company meetings, gives out gift certificates, and rewards milestones with more vacation time. At a recently held meeting, many 10, 15, and 20 year awards were handed out. It's pretty rare to see that type of loyalty and longevity these days.

I've had the benefit of experience, and having worked for other companies who could not hope to be as people-centric and caring as this company. I feel so lucky to know now that a company like this still exists. I am one of many lucky folks to have been promoted from within this organization. I demonstrated skills, an opening became available, and management approached me for the new opportunity. Many of my colleagues have enjoyed the same experience.

ConsI've read the other reviews. Considering the company employs over 300 people world-wide, a hand-full of unhappy people are expected. Sometimes the shoe just does not fit, no matter how much you try to force it. Personal accountability is expected. If that is not your strength, than this is not the company for you. There is no such thing as a perfect company. Is there room to improve? Absolutely -- for the company, as well as each individual contributor. For those who will not believe or trust this review -- you're not the right fit for this outstanding organization. It's just like most industries -- you hear the negative -- few people take the time to write the positive experiences. That just changed with this review.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your employees, and support best practices. Thank you for always trying to include us, support us, and make our working environment as comfortable and appealing as possible.

Leadership LESS, RUDE management

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Heska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI think many people are holding on hoping things will be like they were in 2005; A company committed to employee development, engagement, camaraderie and respect. Products that were diverse, unique and had competitive distinction.

ConsUnfortunately, the leadership team is run by ego-driven, bull headed, back-stabbing, negative, business lacking management. There is no longer a sense of community, departments are divided and senior VP's are rude and ruthless in meetings. This creates an extremely unmotivated culture, where people are led by fear and blame. Products have lost their unique edge becoming "me-to" products. The CEO no longer seems engaged but just frustrated and exhausted. It shows!! And is felt by all, creating even more tension and finger-pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some business skilled and MBA management talent in Executive leadership. Give top leadership a lesson in co-worker communication. Disallow bullying, yelling and abrupt comments. Stop blaming everyone, drop the massive ego's (especially in R&D), be nicer to your people. Hire a stronger HR team committed to building a culture that includes employee development, capitalizing on people's strengths and intra-department communication. Redo your mission and vision so the path to success is clear and success is attainable. Stop trying to just be like your competitors just to come in last all the time. Set yourself apart again with new innovative ideas. Ask the CEO to either recommit in heart and play full out or leave.

Former lab worker who regrets having worked here

Lab Technician (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Heska full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people who work for this company were great and easy to get along with. The benefits were fairly priced. An extra week of vacation is earned after 3 years of employment and 7 years of employment.

ConsFirst off, I was far under-paid for what I did with this company. I worked there for almost 5 years and never had an opportunity to advance. I also felt under-appreciated for my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to praise all employees instead of only pointing out errors and making them feel bad. Increase pay levels to market value.

Floundering Company with declining value

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Heska full-time

ProsSmall company environment
Not much else

ConsMediocre salary at best
High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to a competitor

Country Bumpkins in charge. Scientists make business decisions. That don't work.

Production (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay. Good benefits. You can work there forever if you keep your eyes closed.
Another reviewer mentioned the Pathways program. I agree that as a program it had potential. The most remarkable outcome of it was that each session devolved into a b!tch session about Heska management and their incompetence and unwillingness to actually listen to and involve employees. What did management do about this feedback? Not a word. No response. No action. No improvement. Probably because the managers said "aahh, what do they know anyway? I have the education. They are just blue collar grunts. Why don't they just do their job and be happy they have a job at all?"

ConsPoor management and atmosphere. Management-employee relations sucks. A good ole boy network of managers that fosters incompetence and cronyism.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees. They know more about their job than you do. Don't make critical decisions about their job in a closed-door meeting without consulting them.

Monumental Career Mistake

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heska full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe products, coworkers, and pets at work are the best part of the job.

ConsEverything else-pay decreases year over year, dishonesty, attempt to instill fear instead of training, lack of transparency, lack of trust, lack of employee appreciation, and management's relentless commitment to making the same mistakes over and over again while expecting different results

Impressive science, lousy business people.

Account Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Heska

ProsUndoubtedly, during my time working at this company most of all employee survey's resulted in that we all believe in the mission and values of the company. (to better the lives of companion animals through innovative veterinary science.) As a result, of having this common thread I made friends at work.

At one point, back in 2003, the company invested considerable amount of money in Pathways to Leadership. A life-skills intensive training designed to teach skills to communicate more effectively, be more organized, deal with confrontation, and how to accomplish more at work and at home. Each employee went through the training within small group sessions. As a result, the training "brought down walls" between departments and for a while moral was better. Some people wholeheartedly tried to apply what they learned which made a difference in being able to find solutions to issues between departments. This lead to more understanding of processes, and overall a happier, lighter working environment.

I also felt like when I made an honest mistake, I was given a chance to try again without being ridiculed. This is something that I can only appreciate now as I reflect back on my experience.
In time, I was able to build my confidence in my role there and this has been a quality that I will always have with me now. How great !!

Heska also had super group health care benefits. No one can argue what an incredible perk having just a $20 co-pay is......

Also, the company didn't skimp on office furnishings. We always had comfortable chairs, nice cubicles, clean, & warm or cool facility to work in (depending on the season), kitchen/break areas, small exercise room..... the things that make the place where one spends 8-10 hours a day the most comfortable as possible. When I needed office supplies, materials to do my work it wasn't questioned, I got what I needed.

In addition, at the time I worked there we could bring our dogs to work with us provided we followed the guidelines.

ConsDuring my employment at Heska, in essentially the same department, I survived 6 different managers. I will provide examples, but I can summarize my experience with Heska management in one word : weak.

What do I mean by weak ? Weak means uneducated about the products and services. Ex: The most recent supervisor I had, after they were in the position for a year, did not know where one of our main products was produced. I was really embarrassed for this person.
Weak means the inability for a manager to take a stand on an idea or observation they think would better the company for fear of rocking the "good old boys club." Same mistakes are made over and over again.
Weak means the complete lack of any capacity to not only acknowledge, but foster team members initiatives to help grow business ..... because manager feels... threatened ??? I would think it would make a manager look good to have success stories within their team. (I never was able to understand, I tried throughout several meetings with HR to resolve issues. I received input but no resolutions, no follow up.)
Weak also means a general sense of unprofessional management. Ex. 1: annual reviews were late, incomplete, and sloppy. Ex. 2: manager showed up continuously late for department meetings they themselves scheduled.
Finally, weak means lack of planning. No overall plan for department, direction of where to focus energy to generate profit. Mostly, our department ran like "flavor of the day."

The Pathways to Leadership was a great idea and I think the program has potential to enable a company go from good to great. It was unfortunate that it was not supported and enforced by upper management. After the honeymoon of learning new skills was over, the practice of it for the most part went by the wayside.

Because the management was so weak I think this made employee relationships amongst each other stronger. (unfortunately an "us against them" mentality.)

My overall impression having worked at Heska : This is a good company to gain some work experience but not the place to grow your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish accountability for all management. Hire a consultant, someone who is neutral to the company & establish some criteria for when hiring management - no lip service, just use some standards. Have mandatory, ongoing management trainings, optional doesn't work.

Stay Away, culture has changed.

I have been working at Heska

ProsHeska has great benefits and good products. They have strong R&D and stand behind their products, that's why I stay.

ConsHeska keeps letting go of good people. Every year it seems they place blame on good VP's or Senior Managers as to why the company is not growing at the rate they would like. Current Executives walk around like their the only important ones in the company. Internal culture has gone down hill since they let their former VP of HR go a few years back. I used the love this company, now I can't stand going to work. They have some major improvements to make, people keep quitting, and their new senior leaders seem self-absorbed and unappreciative of developing their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, ask for their advice, make employee meetings worth going to.

Worked for Heska? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heska reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Heska CEO Robert B. Grieve. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Heska employees.