Hess Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hess Corporation Chairman and CEO John B. Hess

John B. Hess

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good and various programmes are usual including lunch & learn programmes(in 10 reviews)

• Terrific leadership, great benefits, supportive team environment, a place you could be proud to work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • With all of the changes, it can be challenging at times to find the right work/life balance while still achieving set goals and objectives(in 4 reviews)

• long hours mean customers thick heads(in 6 reviews)

Wonderful professional environment to be a part of!

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe organization was full from top to bottom with leading industry professionals at each level. How many corporations today value their employees by offering a tradition pension plan along with a 401 k match? Very few, but Hess does! Communication about the goals and current status were frequent and beneficial.

ConsThat John Hess and the BOD gave into Wall Street resulting in the parting of all non-E&P business entities. Company has went from a diverse group of affiliated entities to one solely focused on E&P that is tied to the price of oil.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the Con comment above, the stock price has reacted quite positively as a result.

the comprehensive corporate structure.Hess is nationwide distributor of gasoline and other fuels

Cashier (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsElite,Efficient,Enthusiastic,Energy Corporation.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -

ConsLower cadre worker annual income less than $24000/annual. <24000/Annum.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview lower cadre staff/workforce schedule and allow overtime work schedule to efficient and loyal workers.

Excellent Company

ProsFriendly, nice work environment, staff is helpful, work, life balance initiated by management.

ConsPay, management has some quirks to work through, promotions are slow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work, very friendly group of people

Cost Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood Systems and procedures here

ConsNo cons to speak of

Advice to Senior Managementno advice to provide to mgmt

a company of change...be wary

Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe first years of working here held promise. Good and solid professionals - leadership yielded good bonuses because the company was doing well. Exploration successes were indicating a good future. Compensation was reasonable. Then there were leadership changes.

ConsAfter organizational changes the company began to go through an unraveling - many good people left - some good people who were seemingly successful were laid off, and inexperienced leadership was brought into certain areas which caused disruption and confusion for many. More good people left because the organization became fairly unstable. Company performance was suffering.

In 2013, during the 2nd quarter, Wall Street activists moved into action, and there ensued a struggle for corporate control and direction. This company was not unique in being in this position within the industry. Wall Street activists are always looking for companies that are suffering from difficult strategic circumstances - Hess fell into this when its Exploration function began to lag back in 2010, and the Unconventionals began to pose an increasing strain on their struggling business areas, who were having difficulty keeping up with the pace due to high demands in an industry with a shrinking capable workforce. Performance requires enough people to manage the drilling and production activities. Weather and other difficulties were not helpful during 2010-2013 for this company.

From the beginning of 2011, there seemed to be a movement to drive out older employees (age-wise), and also run-off mid-management female leadership. The instability of the company continued to drive people to leave for better places to work. The trust factor moved down to new lows for many people who for years had put forth their best efforts for this company.

The company in 2013 has undergone much change. What remains to be seen is how the company will stabilize (if) in 2014, and survive in a very competitive industry. It appears that the accountants and the lawyers are beginning to move into control more, and this usually spells the demise of a petroleum company. Strong Exploration leadership is the back-bone for the future of any E&P company. Hess does not have this at present.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour culture shift and the resulting turmoil has made Hess a less popular place to work than your competitors. Decreasing staff and imposing more work does not win long term employees when many companies in the industry are thriving and providing a better work culture, better benefits, greater compensation, and a more promising future. Don't just talk, but walk the walk. Strong trusted leadership will go a long way in securing a good workforce who will stay. People need to be led, not made to feel enslaved to do more work because leadership took a wrong turn. If you could measure your talent loss during 2011-2013, it would be significant. You cannot make people be innovative - they must be inspired. Hess has lost a good deal of its ability to inspire people. Inspiration will have to build back up over time. Good luck in bringing the company back to a better place.

It has been an amazing learning experience.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI appreciate the culture, environment, history, and values of the company.

ConsI have no complaints about working for Hess nor do I focus on any flaws of the company.

I love it

Senior Gas Accountant Nt (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat place to work I love it

ConsNone everything great I love it

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

I used to not mind my job, but then my manager decided to start paying others under the table, violating the law.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Brockton, MA

ProsI make my own schedule, get a tiny bit of vacation.

ConsManager lied about when my vacation expired, pays other employee more money to work illegally, writes me up for anything, takes vacation when I tell her I want it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement sucks, no room for advancement so why should anyone bother? They shouldn't. I hope this place tanks.

Horrible. Enough said

Driver (Former Employee) Rensselaer, NY

ProsPay was great, benes were good. 4 day work week was nice

ConsToo strict of a company. No job advancement to look forward to. Senior management does not include their drivers in any company activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone who has done the job to be in charge.

Not many opportunities

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsFlexible hours, college program, you meet some friendly people and not so friendly people, promotions, vacation pay after time

ConsLong hours, no breaks, no employee discounts, rude customers, no sick days, lost my vacation because a manager didn't want to include it into her store budget or have to find someone to cover shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a decent salary for the amount of work they do

Worked for Hess Corporation? Contribute to the Community!