Hess Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hess Corporation Chairman and CEO John B. Hess

John B. Hess

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good and various programmes are usual including lunch & learn programmes(in 10 reviews)

• Terrific leadership, great benefits, supportive team environment, a place you could be proud to work(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • With all of the changes, it can be challenging at times to find the right work/life balance while still achieving set goals and objectives(in 4 reviews)

• long hours mean customers thick heads(in 6 reviews)

Manager, IT

Manager, IT (Current Employee) Woodbridge, NJ

ProsVery nice company to work for.

ConsThere are not many cons.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery hands on and learned a lot.

ConsLong hours made it hard to have life outside of work

The security of a large company with feel of small entrepreneurial firm.

Manager Energy Marketing (Former Employee) Woodbridge, NJ

ProsTerrific leadership, great benefits, supportive team environment, a place you could be proud to work.

The company's response and actions the days/weeks following Hurricane Sandy illustrate what happening when great people are under great management. We did good not just for the company and each other but for the communities we did business and even our competitors. It was terrific to be a part of that.

ConsJohn Hess sold the downstream businesses and let an activist investor dictate the future of his company. This is the only reason why I can't give the full 5 star rating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Coordinator

Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) Woodbridge, NJ

ProsFast paced, flexible environment, great 401k

ConsMany roadblocks internally to completing the sale

Hess is aspiring to be the best and supports that drive with innovation, flexibility, and leadership interest.

Senior Manager of Performance Excelence (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDrive and support for innovation and creativity. New and clear strategy to achive best in class performance. New processes and systems being added o allow state of the art change and ease performance limiters. Clear channels to communicate with Senior Leadership on a consistent basis.

ConsRecent leadership changes and adjustments in strategy have caused delays and some confusion. Shortage of solid consistent leadership at many levels you would want to emmulate. Some silohed separation between teams and disciplines.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about needs and people. Encourage more open discussions to break down silohed culture. Reward and recognize idividual and team success more often.
    Make learning a core principle of getting better faster.

Too many yes men historically

ProsSalary and benefits are good, comparable to others in E and P industry. Employees can contribute and make an impact

ConsElliott management plan in place and Hess leaders are in denial about the inevitable. Too many yes men historically to John Hess, who is himself apparently overly concerned with color of marble in the office and photos in reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with John Hess and your selves

Satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHess has a long term vision of being the stock of choice in energy by 2020. The company is focused on executing towards this vision with health, safety and the environment clearly in mind. Hess' leadership adapts and changes to meet the challenges associated with meeting their 2020 goal.

Hess is ever changing. Recently they've begun the transition from a fully integrated oil & gas company towards just an exploration and production company. As to be expected there are many changes afoot to restructure the company this way.

The company really tries to recruit, mentor and keep talented people. It's not a place for the lazy or tired, however, as they run a lean ship, meaning everyone puts in more than their share. The salaries, bonuses and benefits more than compensate for the heavy workload.

ConsWith all of the changes, it can be challenging at times to find the right work/life balance while still achieving set goals and objectives.

It is ok.

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey have a nice cafeteria and coffee bar.

ConsCan be difficult to be hired on fulltime.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Ability to be trained in all aspects of the business... As well as gain experience in those aspects

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExperience....working with people, from the crew to the customers.

ConsCall offs, late arrivals for shifts, managers not putting in the time they should, not enough respect for having a good work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire your managers to actually clock in and out.....and pay more attention to the "little people" who are busting their backs to keep your stores running.

It's over!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Cape Coral, FL

ProsPay and ins. benefits not enough pros to meet the twenty word minimum so I will just ramble just a bit longer.

ConsWorst company ever for cutting payroll hours. Single coverage is the norm and half the bathrooms are outside. Ever go to a Racetrac and see a sigh on the door...BRB taking a crap?!
    NO because they have 4 or 5people working at a time!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late for advice! Good luck Marathon!!

Worked for Hess Corporation? Contribute to the Community!