Hewitt Associates

Updated Jan 14, 2014

Hewitt Associates President & CEO Gregory C. Case

Gregory C. Case

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Established company with established way of doing things

LSAA (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility - work from home abilities are what keeps a lot of folks.

ConsTraining, stress levels. Nature of the benefits administration beast is some really peak levels and stress that could be managed better.

Bad experience overall, nothing better than working at McDonalds

Customer Service Team Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalaries were good, bonuses were good when they existed, good people to meet and good experience as far as learn how to BS the client.

ConsNo life/wk balance, upper management survives out of stupid meetings where everyone puts their opinion even tough they know management will not do anything about it, you move up ONLY if you have friends in upper places, management does not know what they are doing or where the company is going to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to listen to the employees, fix their problems so they can reduce their high overturn rate not just sit on their butts telling us what to do.

Too much

CSA (Current Employee)
The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Hewitt Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful Facility, ok location, and they offer free exams at times

ConsTerrible pay, the training isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow love to you CONTRACTORS

Good experience , not the best pay.

Batch Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time

ProsI was around at the time when the economy was better and there was free food -breakfast, lunch, snacks.

ConsNot much growth, limited responsibilities, one does not get the big picture.

One of the best companies - Great benefits, information overload via exceptional enterprise portal, growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsHewitt considers employees as associates, which is to say, we are all in this together and you can be yourself, not a brain washed "Hewitter." Individuality is welcomed and understood to be a need for a strong and growing company. Managers and executives don't want or need mini "Me's", so to speak.

Hewitt cares about employees (associates mind you) and the benefits offered are the best I've seen in my years of employment. They are big on automation and efficiency and have advancement opportunities if that is what you desire (relocation may be required). It is a big company and functions accordingly. Some companies are big, but continue to function as a small overly cultural and deeply unethical entity with politics burning at its core, but Hewitt is not one of those companies.

If it wasn't important and necessary for me to move back home, I would still be there today. Loved it!! My manager was also GREAT! She could be tough, but not in a bad way and very knowledgeable. She worked just as hard as her direct and indirect reports, if not harder.

I left the company mid-year 2008, but there was no selection for that year.

ConsWhile salaries are competitive at Hewitt, a new employee coming in to Hewitt needs to negotiate the highest salary possible. Once in the door, you may not receive the increases that you may feel you deserve or are entitled.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get me wrong, I love having information at my finger tips; however, it can be a bit much and some may find it difficult to navigate, locate or understand the data presented. Such an individual may need to contact a representative directly for specific questions and guidance.

Representatives of Hewitt should keep this in mind when a direct question is asked of them and not direct the associate to the portal.

Rewarding

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsGood benefits. Balance between work and home.

ConsUse to outsource a lot of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the talent you have in the company.

Some Teams really don't care for participants or CSA's

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewitt Associates

ProsIf you enjoy customer service, you'll enjoy Hewitt. It's very fast paced and there are opportunities for advancement, even if you are someone with only a High School Diploma.

ConsWith the pro's listed it above, that is also a curse. You may have days where all your incoming calls of people who are highly escalated, sometimes rightfully so. Remember the advancers with no college degree? Yeah, those are sometimes the same people who messed up a person's account, gave out wrong information, or didn't properly document a call. These are the people who push back when a customer is demanding to speak to a supervisor. These are also the same people who still urges you the CSA to handle their issue in under 7 minutes with holding time of under 2 minutes and "adhering" to a schedule the does not compliment the nature of the unique situations I run into on a daily basis. Then there's also the outsourcing issue of having a call center overseas that takes calls, and customers will get angry because of the language barrier. And wouldn't you believe that these are also the people who work on the special cases we open in the US? Why? You guessed it, because it's cheaper. I came in as a contractor and my contract is up but I am still hired there, however I'm not permanent. Most people at Hewitt (Woodlands anyways) are there because they know someone. There is a lot of favoritism. One temp worker was moving to Orlando and our trainer from Orlando was able to get her hired out there, which I found odd. While I do love working with the customers and going out of my way for them, I can't say I feel the same way about the workplace or surrounding locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the people with the credentials, not the person with tenure. Is the CUSTOMER satisfied with the way "so and so" handled their account? That's who matters! Don't limit the way you grade an employee based on their "stats" if the customer has nothing but great things to say each time. There's a method to the madness. With you managing at a company that is a world leader in managing benefits for privately owned to Fortune 100 companies, you're gonna wanna do all that you can to remain in the top spot. It starts with satisfying the person on the OTHER side of the phone.

Disappointing

Actuarial Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewitt Associates

ProsI really enjoyed working with many of the people at Hewitt and loved the flexible work schedule I had.

ConsThe local management team was impossible to deal with and absolutely refused to recognize their talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your available talent. It will benefit you in the long run.

Hewitt Associates really good place to have work/life balance

I have been working at Hewitt Associates

ProsGreat benefits, great environment, flexibility

ConsFavoritism and unfair promotions and pay increases at times

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reevaluate the way yearly feedback is given, it is not objective at all, strictly a popularity contest, nothing to do with job performance

this is not your fathers hewitt associates!

Payroll (Current Employee)

ProsPay Check, Benefits(that are expensive) Diversity, Free Coffee

ConsThe only person to consider Hewitt is the high school graduate, the person needing only 3 months pay (Nov-Jan) or if you like to micro manage and do not mind if at any time you can be replaced for any reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo reason to tell Management, it does not matter to them. Management is not happy and they say so, nobody cares about the "human" anymore and I believe it is to late. The reputation of Hewitt has been damaged so bad in the corporate world it is no longer "The Place" everyone wants to work for.

Worked for Hewitt Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewitt Associates reviews and ratings in The Woodlands, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewitt Associates CEO Gregory C. Case. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Hewitt Associates employees.