Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

enjoyed my life at HP

Cloud Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgood smart people doing good things

Consfield management the weakest part of HP

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you need to do to right size the campany

Under the "HP Way" philosophy HP was good place to work; this company has been in decline since the Compaq merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsExcellent benefits package.
    Good severance plan as they provide professional career counseling through an outside company.
    The HR and legal departments have their act together.

ConsUnder 5 CEOs during the past decade, each taking the company in their own direction, HP as a whole has "lost its way" with regards to who they are as a company. The support organization is in a constant state of reorganization, with products and job positions being offered to one team, then snatched away and given to another a few weeks later. Confusion as to whether the support teams will be global or regional causes problems with incident resolution. Office culture reflects the chaos of first and second level managers who tell their teams not to worry - their jobs are safe, while middle managers are deciding who will get the boot next week. The decision on who to terminate appears to be random, or decided by a throw of a dart at the org chart. It should be noted that all the "newbies" and "relatives" hired within the last year stayed while experienced senior backline support individuals were terminated (replacements?).
    Technical training provided by the company is mostly superficial and uncoordinated. Employees should be advised to take control of their own career development through outside training (good luck getting tuition reimbursement).
    The mixed messages and lack of direction and focus by management has resulted in a chaotic and toxic work environment. Falsified productivity numbers go unchallenged when upper management is only looking at the graphs. There are entire teams of people who's only job is to review the case logs to second guess the front line support people, and make sure the templates are filled out properly.
    Being on a manager's "pet project" team will offer you some protection from being part of the next 16,000 to be terminated during the 2014 fiscal year. Being related to a manager also seems to offer job security.

On the right track

Service Segment Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsRight leadership in place to make a difference, cuts hurt but they are needed, work hard and you will get rewarded, do a good job of allowing you to balance work/life.

ConsStill not working as a single company, individual BUs working well just not well together.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let a hardware mentality get in the way of providing great services.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very much appreciate their professional and long standing profile

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI enjoy working with HP because it's a place where my skills and experience can be fully appreciated. I've always wanted to work with HP. It is one of the most talked about companies to work for when I was in school and there after.

ConsStriving to become leaders. So many of my professional friends have excelled in their field while working for HP. It is a very competitive place to be. I'm a very competitive person due to my athletical background.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm a professional with detail organizational skills. I respect my leaders and work hard to help promote them. For if I promote them to their next level, I can see myself following it their footsteps.

has served me well

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgreat life/work balance; generally good people to work with

Consnot forward-thinking, not exciting; management seems stuck, too many businesses

Great Work Experience for Sales Career Employees

Presales Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork-Life Balance is part of the core culture, the move by HP to a remote office work program provides a lot of personal freedom and allows the worker to not have to sit in traffic.

The pay is above the industry average with no cap on commissions. So solid six figure earnings are pretty common.

ConsWork Force Reduction programs can be deployed at anytime and even if you are doing are great job , you could be out of a job.
    If you get laid-off you can't be rehired for one year

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your best people leave to go to the competition

Great company to work for, but after some years now, it's still trying to find its identity.

Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPay. Work life balance. Support for training. Ability to move around.

ConsWith the buyout of Compaq, the company now has never ending lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of the Field Service employees that were laid off, were the ones getting the job done. The others were using the system to make it seem like they were getting the job done.

Career stagnation

Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood people to work with & good work/life balance, Company turnaround could provide a better working environment in the future

ConsLittle or no career progression. Pay is dismal. Huge beaurocracy & confusing organizational structure

Advice to Senior ManagementYou bought a services company to provide IT services & then treated the people like an expendable commodity. If you really believe that people are your greatest asset, then it should be reflected on their paystub. All the motivational emails and pep talks don't pay the bills.

Good people, decent pay, bad culture

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork from Home, Flexible hours, Good people to work with

ConsPoor management leadership, little to no real direction, and an overall lack of ability to respond to customer needs effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the bureaucracy, focus on delivering products and services in a way customers need and want to buy.

In and out

Enterprise Account Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people with high integrity.
    Competitive pay and benefits.
    Good work/life balance.
    A few excellent offerings through acquisition.
    Extraordinarily vast product and services portfolio.

ConsHeavy and broad sweeping lay offs are dumping strong talent to the competition.
    Getting closer to the iceberg and turning very slowly.
    Morale is very low.
    Suffering from years of leadership churn.
    Behind in most technology trends.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!