Hewlett-Packard

9,464 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,685 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Remote Worker

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has great resources for its employees for training and support. The leadership in my organization changed as soon as I was hired and that made it difficult to navigate the customers and projects because my regional manager was new to the organization and the products. The compensation for TPM's was great for Atlanta.

Cons

There were not many opportunities for advancement in the specific organization I worked for within HP Software.

Watch out for metrics overload, Global presence makes understanding customers tough.

Former Employee - Technology Consultant II in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant II in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Educational benefits were great at first but fizzled. Great team to collaborate with. Good lifestyle while with them except pay was not very good and got worse as Hurd left and Whitman took over. Hurd, you are not welcome for the golden parachute, you thief.

Cons

Metrics from hell. More to life and work than metrics. Levels of engineering held their knowledge close to the vest as I expect they were afraid of someone being better than them taking their jobs... and yes, I would have if given the chance. No movement in responsibility or pay; in fact my pay scale went backwards while working for them due to Hurd's 15% company wide cut and then more after that.

Pay your front-line customer-facing people better and ease up on the metrics. Hire American workers in America even if they cost a tiny bit more.

Fifteen years of growth and experience

Former Employee - Network Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Network Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The most notable feature of HP has always been it's people. They are dedicated, hardworking and terrific.

Cons

.HP's recently proposed company split will go far in helping them more operationally effective.

Proceed with splitting the proposed split into two diverse companies. Pay close attention to middle management's interpretation of corporate decisions.

Great, but splitting into two companies is stressful

Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Developer/Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, lot's of opportunity to take the lead and make a difference.

Cons

Some people prefer silos, splitting apart companies (uncertainty)

We're all really nervous with the split. Please keep us informed more about your long-term intentions with each organization.

Below expectations

Former Employee - Onsite Client Administrator in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Onsite Client Administrator in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, well-known company, comfortable Work Environment,

Cons

Management was terrible. Manager acted like a spoiled child, at times wouldn't speak to staff, never knew what mood manager would be in. Had us doing part of their job. Pay was lousy. Supposed promotion never happened for me. No work-life balance, felt unappreciated, worst job I have ever had.

Hire adults, be honest and upfront with employees

OK company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sales in HP can be good if you do not have a micromanager. The company values are very good, and you are given a lot of freedom. Salaries are good. Resources are good. Culture is stong. It has an open door policy where you can easily interact with different levels of managment. Cafeteria service are normally ok (depends on the site).
    Good recognition for the best. Easy to sell the products/solutions.

Cons

Old people in the sales department. No training given when you join. I keep on seeing new hired employees with no direction. There are resources the problem is finding them. You will only find your way by asking questions.
    I know of friends who have received intensive courses as soon as they join so that is why I am being critical here with the trainings. If you ask older employees they will always tell you HP is not what it used to be anymore.

Discuss career plans with the employees. Provide more trainings about resources, programs, even about the site!

Heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP coworkers are amazing. Almost everyone does whatever it takes to make an effort successful. They are friendly and helpful and there when you need them.

Cons

Work-life balance doesn't really exist. Too many management layers for many teams. Culture can vary GREATLY from org to org.

The upper-middle management could stand to be in the trenches more and deal with the politics less. Employees with years of experience are being let go to hire someone at about the same salary. This is not a winning proposition long-term.

In General a good place to work depending on your management chain.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience and knowledge.

Cons

Management can be very bad and very incompetent, it is a hot or miss

Learn how to manage people and do the right things and not just tow the company line or senior management line.

Awesome

Former Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great very smart people to work with.

Cons

Everyone running scared. Afraid of job loss and this hampers progress.

Innovate

Adventurous

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work for HP are great. It really is a family atmosphere. Everyone is laid back.

Cons

There are hugh differences between the business units and the way they compensate and behave towards their employees. Most of the lower-level managers are not interested in helping further your career; It largely depends on who is your direct report and their political presence in HP. Largely politics

more consistent management between business units, more focus on keeping your current talent.