Hewlett-Packard

9,749 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,820 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pleasant

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People were great to work with

Cons

They outsourced my job over seas

Keeps jobs in the United States of America

Not a clue about how to treat their employees!!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a job I had for over 4 years during the "Great Recession" it was nice to have a job.

Cons

Paid 20 -30K below median pay scale. Treated very poorly. Very low scale on the job training. Felt like a number. Some areas were managed like a fraternity/high school clique. Management by fear. Annual pay increases did not occur three out of the 4 years employed there. Never felt as if the ship was being steered in the right direction.

Case and point, HP had 3 CEO's in two years. HP has not come up with any new innovations to propel them forward or capitalize on any of their company purchases. Examples include: the BILLIONS of dollars used to purchase EDS, that was a bust. The stock prices went in the toilet over that one, and the Autonomy debacle also has caused serious doubts about board decisions. They spent more money making bad financial decisions when they should have been pumping those monies into R and D, Management training. and annual salary increases. Definitely not a good employment choice.

Reinvent from the top down, make good financial decisions, accept blame and take personal responsibility when making any decision. Listen to your employees more deeply, and pay them fairly based on the work level and results provided. Pray that your company is around in 50 years or someone like Oracle will own you.

A place where careers begin or go to die...

Former Employee - Investigator in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Investigator in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Decent pay for the level or lack of responsibility; management is not over-your-shoulder watching you; scheduling vacation is easy- because we fought to get it that way.

Cons

Nepotism first and foremost in the Camp Hill office. Also, it helps who you are married to or sleeping with to advance.

Please stop acting as though there is not an obvious, palpable disparity in the way you treat and pay your employees.

Acquired from EDS

Current Employee - Software Developer in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Flexible work location and flexible hours

Cons

Discontinued pension contribution. Pay cuts. Company image after the Mark Hurd incident.

There is a morale problem because compensation is highly concentrated at the top at the expense of the rank and file professionals who serve customers. People will leave when the economy picks up.

EDS Employee Funded Bailout is Working for HP

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

To gain experience, to get HP on your resume. Plan to make your money somewhere else and use HP as a stepping stone.

Cons

All HP employees were given a 5% pay cut. EDS employees were given an additional 10% pay cut that we refer to as the "EDS Employee Funded HP Bailout". To give employees 1 month's notice that their salary will be dropped 15% is not acceptable. Everyone I work with is de-motivated. There is no guarentee of a bonus and salary has been permanently cut 5% so there's no point in going the extra mile. Our client executive was heard to exclaim in alarm, "people are leaving on time!!!"

HP managers are supposed to be innovators, right? Well, I'm just a worker bee, but even I can figure out that the company will make more money if salaries are slashed...that's not particularly innovative. Products, service and reputation will make money for HP. Sucking the life out of employees and offering no motivation via compensation will not contribute to innovative products or world-class service. Put your thinking caps on boys and girls! The stock price isn't going up because you're great managers, it's going up because you're robbing the employees.

And just a note of caution: I, like everyone else, am waiting for the job market to break and when it does, I'm gone. And I won't give 2 weeks notice, either. Since the only thing that will be released to a prospective employer are my dates of service, no comment on re-hire, and no recommendation, I'll clean out my desk and hand in my resignation same day. I hope others do the same.