Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging work assignments, management constantly changes, no work life balance

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proschallenging and diverse work assignments

ConsHP doesn't understand how to run a consulting organization. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest with workers

Constant re-org, cost cutting and unqualified middle management

Us Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIndividual contributors who try to do the right thing.

ConsUnqualified Middle Manager, work-life balance, too much politics

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your worker bees.

Constant political struggles with nobody in control

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you are lucky you can stay in your corner of the company forever. Not very satisfying, though. Lots of dead wood in this company - could stand to lay off a third of the people here and not even blink.

ConsLack of focus. Really poor advancement possibilities especially for somebody that has come into the company via acquisition (like me).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thanks for the memories

Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent Benefits. Decent 401K. Can work remotely.

ConsAs part of the Software Division in the Protect space, sales slowed very much. We all knew there would be some cuts. Got the call and informed I was one of them. Ten years of experience and they kept others with no experience right out of college. All managers told me that they had no input into the decision. HP's way of letting go more talent I suppose. They sell PC's and ink as that is the only thing keeping them afloat other than cutting talent and replacing them with lower paid newbies. Example. Worked with one of the newbies in their twenties. While on the phone starts saying dude while customer is on the line. The new ones may be eager but have no soft skills. The sales has dropped even further I have been told. HP is nothing but a ink and PC maker these days no matter what their press releases say. They were too late into everything else

Advice to Senior ManagementWell there is the management level that does reviews and little else then there are the higher ups that do not know the people and base everything on numbers. Hence why the talent pool at HP has dropped.

Very good company and very good team

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery good company and very good team

Consnothing to say for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep good things up for some time.

The first 9 years were rewarding while HP was a great place to work, the last 5 were a nightmare.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosnot much is good at HP

Conshighly disfunctional sales managers and executive leadership

Advice to Senior Managementleave

Unprofessional

Contract Account Renewal Specialist (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsTime freedom. Flexibility. Good place to work if you just want a paycheck with no real effort.

ConsLack of serious Leadership. Training sporadic. Way too much office drama. Lack of work. People speak in meetings unprofessionally. Leadership is lacking and more interested in her personal life and why people find problems with her than worrying about understanding what is going on with her team and the professional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at the management on this contract renewal team. Put checks and balances in place to establish an actual successful training program for new hires. Discontinue the office drama and the negative atmosphere by appreciating employees who work hard and contribute. Understand the work loads or lack of so that the team can function together successfully. During my 6 months on board I witnessed a lot of mistakes and money being wasted and not booked properly. There's a HUGE disconnect on this particular team. And it starts with management and stale employees.

Greatest groups of professionals I ever worked with

Vice President & General Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTalented and very ethical group of professionals, with many resources of a big tech company behind their ideas.

ConsVery process driven, very structured with many layers of approvals that slow the business down. Once you learn hap to navigate the structure, you can make it work for you and your projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush decision making and accountability down to the lowest levels in the organization. Upper management's responsibility is to provide the resources to the teams that are driving the business. Get the bureaucracy out of their way.

Musical Chairs is the new norm

Channel Management (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat minds and strong intel

ConsFar too short term focused

Advice to Senior ManagementRead your own books

Not a bad place to start

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of room to grow within HP, and you can always learning something new.

ConsLow starting wages lower than the industry standards for the Chicago metro area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf HP wants top talent from the universities around Chicago, they need to start new employees at a higher salary. HP has been keeping their senior level employees wages frozen for quite some time, and in some cases reducing wages to meet their bottom line.
    Overall, I like HP as a company, but they need to pay their employees more, and work on employee work/ home life ratio. They are currently trying to work on the work/life balance issue with their engineers; this is an issue management has been trying to fix and make better for all of their employees for some time now.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!