Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,348 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,075 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

8,348 Employee Reviews

Great if you work in a low-cost country

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Line management supports employees
    - Benefits decent (in the US, anyway) but declining

Cons- Work in the wrong place, you'll get laid off and the severance package in the US is eroding rapidly; the Technology & Operations unit might as well be called HP-Bangalore because US/Europe employees are being shown the door with increasing frequency in favor of less expensive outsourced employees who are as innovative as a rock
    - Bending over backwards for the millennials while canning experienced employees ASAP; cheap doesn't mean good
    - Constant reorganization for the sake of reorganization
    - Got rid of pensions a while back, promised 6% 401-(k) match, now cut to 4%, who knows what's next
    - Raises? We don't need no stinking raises, at least that must be management's perspective as raises, even for top performers, may be a couple of percent. More often over the last ten years: nothing.
    - Mandatory work in the office policy even if you have no team members in the same state or country (and they run butt-in-the-seats metrics)
    - New senior management is once again being hired from outside rather than being developed from within
    - Employee development - only if you pay for it or want to watch stiflingly boring canned courses
    - Reward structure is heavily tilted in favor of the director level and above as they have a separate, far superior bonus structure. Line mgmt/employees *might* see an annual bonus of 2-4%; directors can easily see 10x that much, and VPs and above evem more. Crushing internal politics mean you have to be a savage with no concern for individuals to be promoted to these levels.
    - A lot of lip service is paid to recognition; employees are encouraged to go to a web site to recognize co-workers, but your 'reward' is a PowerPoint certificate. Even major functions have recognition programs that provide nothing more than a plaque or some other small physical award in lieu of any financial remuneration. They seem to think attaboys are totally sufficient in and of themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice how more and more HP reviews are coming from people in low-cost countries? That's because Bill & Dave's legacy is nowhere to be seen, and it's all about the bottom dollar to the exclusion of all else. The company's focus is all about the shareholder and the executive ranks, and the individual contributor be damned. The company is now up to 50,000 layoffs this round, almost exclusively in the US and Europe, while numbers in India, China, Singapore, and Costa Rica continue to grow. If you don't work near a core location, you're subject to being laid off with a whopping two week notice; same goes if you work in a high-cost location like Palo Alto - well, unless you're an executive, in which case you can work wherever you want. Whitman recently announced an additional 16,000 layoffs to save the company a billion dollars a year in cost, but the company doesn't have any problem throwing nearly that much money out the door quarterly on stock buybacks and dividends to prop the share price up. Tell us again, what does share price have to do with innovation, customer satisfaction, product quality, or sales?

Unless you're in sales, US/European employees should run away from this company. You may last a few years, but the goal is to replace you with someone making one-fifth your salary or less.

Awesome, except for the company

Security Analyst (Former Employee) Zaragoza (Spain)

ProsThe people working there were amazing, it's a good place to get experience on technical stuff, you can se several different customers, it's a big company.

ConsSalary is almost untouched since you enter there, bureaucracy is horribly installed, top management seems to be disconected from what the people do, they are in the middle of workforce reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of bureaucracy, get to know what people do, listen to your employees.

Loved it while it lasted

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsAll my workmates were great people

ConsUpper management did not know what to do with us, so they let us go

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more innovative

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning opportunity

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

Proswonderful working atmosphere and good learning opportunity

ConsI'm a contractor...not sure if there's a possibility to become permanent

Hewlett-Packard Talent Acquisition - Digital Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

We absolutely hire contractors as HP employees - IF the role is open for permanent hires. We suggest you speak with your agency and your HP Manager, to express your interest! Thank you for sharing ... More

Slow moving and political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits. Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry. People tend to stay till they are asked to leave.

ConsLarge, slow moving and very political organization. Competing against more nimble overseas competitors. Management team doesn't trust each other and focuses on the wrong things.

Horrendous Experience - Never again

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsNot much really. A few great capable people.

ConsZero pay rises. You get promoted to a new position - pay will not be aligned. Unprofessional culture of long term laziness. Many people there long term just turning up to work to watch YouTube and do no work. Middle management cannot motivate them as there is no accountability. HP preaches service and innovation but fails to deliver. Lay offs left right and center with VERY low moral however employees don't move to save themselves - they accept hopelessness. Many socially inept employees that somehow have a major superiority complex. Any requests for work or escalations of responsibilities are met with arguments and backstabbing. HP does not get results - period.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should stop trying to line her pockets and those of the shareholders by bumping up HP's share price by any means ie. public announcements of major job cuts and begin treating the hundreds of thousands of employees like human beings. Look after people, they are your greatest resource.

Nice work environment

ITO Service Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1.Work Life balance
    2. Not a lot of work pressure
    3. Great work Environment
    4. Respect and co-operation from Management and HR

Cons1. Competitively less pay
    2. Promotions are rare.

Advice to Senior Management1. Increase pay

There is no more "HP way"

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Bratislava (Slovakia)

Prosflexible working hours, colleagues, office OK

Conslousy management with no goal (long-term or short-term), no leaders, no clear company strategy, investing in wrong projects or initiatives, no development or innovative thinking, too much process oriented, management twisting reality to show better results, a powerpoint company, very bad, not motivating in any way

Advice to Senior Managementfire 3/4 of useless management layers (especially the French!)

More lipstick for this pig

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAustin location, Austin location, Austin location, Austin location, Austin location, Austin location, Austin location... See where I'm going with this...?

ConsWorn-out facilities, worn-out equipment, open/noisy work environment, lack of flexibility regarding work arrangements, glacially-paced advancement opportunities, and zero training.
    While many of the newer hires are bright and talented, there are still too many corporate leeches hanging around drawing a check and obstructing progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish the purge quickly, establish the new culture and then start giving back some of the perks (flexible work arrangements, better equipment, etc...) that might make the place more attractive.

Nice working environment

Systems Software Engineer (Current Employee) Taipei (Taiwan)

ProsIt's a nice working environment.
    There's lots of training to learn.
    Have open door policy that makes employee comfortable.

ConsThere are too many re-orgs that restrict employee's growth in current role.
    Recently there are many work force reduction happens in many location around the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have too many report to do. And you rely on reports to make decision too much.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!