Hewlett-Packard

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A pleasant company to work for, but struggles somewhat due to corporate structure

Sales (Current Employee)
    Conway, AR

Pros*The pay is decent for the positions offered
    *Most days aren't too stressful, typically only a few days out of the month
    *The insurance, 401k, and time off benefits are all pretty good

Cons*Day to day activities can change due to the whims of the newest executive or vice president
    *Advancement opportunities are a little bit limited and salaries are lower than what competitors offer

Advice to Senior ManagementAim for consistent duties assigned to roles

Great Learning experience

Customer Support Agent (Former Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsSome of the best people I have worked with were at HP. Diverse community.

ConsDidn't feel like a valued employee by the Corp. although they pushed for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front with your people.

Lots and Lots of calls..Micro-manage..

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsStable work environment, Solid Company, Lots of vacation.

ConsMirco managed like crazy, Call blitzes,unreasonable quotas, everything is tracked, no independence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your sales staff do their job and sell. Get off the backs of your people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, need a little direction

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsThis company has a great culture. They encourage people to take the next step and their careers and managers are "goaled" on promotions of their team.

ConsThere are some great things about HP, but the lack of direction within this call center is drastic. The entire leadership team has turned over within the last 2-3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the direction together and you'll go so far!

Terrible Leader ruined Conway Inside Sales

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsLots of fellow new hires
    Technology starting point
    Career advancement (outside HP!)
    Volunteer Spirit of facility (Brought by previous leadership; current doesnt care)

ConsTurnover
    VP who runs MSC; does not listen and is arrogant (ran off great people)
    New leader from outside is clueless
    Backfill hiring (swamped!)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the changes. You need to get rid of the VP and his "new people". They are arrogant and have ruined something positive.

Great while it lasted

Technical Solutions Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat beneifts.
    Great culture, very inclusive.
    Gave the employees an opportunity, annually, to submit feedback on how the employees feel about the company and its policies (overall and locally).

ConsThe company has been on a downhill. Presently, it is not doing well and in my opinion they are not making the right decisions to turn the company around.
    Product quality, repair center quality, and customer focus needs to be reviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers should always be the focus. Their loyalty will come with satisfaction of a well-made and durable product. Products materials and design in recent years has declined dramatically. Products need to be tested much more thoroughly than they have been before they leave the factories.

Repair centers are not trained well enough and do not care about the quality of their work because they don't have an HP logo on their shirts. Repair centers should be HP badged employees who have a stake in the quality of their work and whether the HP brand survives.

Technical support scripts do help maintain uniformity, but robotic canned-scripts are the last thing a customer wants to hear when they are going through a crisis with their computer. They don't want to be sold anything either.

Closing the technical support center in the U.S. and opening a second one overseas may save HP money in the short-term, but customer loyalty and satisfaction will take a huge hit. 6 out of 10 times I answered the phone, a customer was either very angry because they had been transferred so many times or because they had been speaking with someone they couldn't understand because of the language barrier; or they were thanking me for "speaking English".

I would do it all over again!

Technical Solutions Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsGreat benefits, great culture, abundance opportunities

ConsUnrealistic metrics at times, decisions are often made without doing enough research

Advice to Senior ManagementOffshoring may make short term financial gains but will cost a lot of future revenue. Stateside support may cost more, but you get what you pay for!

Rebuilding a brand that will once again be great

Technical Solutions Representative (Current Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsCompetitive pay and great insurance benefits

ConsVery little opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more monetary reward on a quarterly basis.

Not all its cracked up to be

Front Line Agent (Current Employee)

ProsMoney
    Vacation and PTO
    Health, life, dental insurance

ConsConstant change without warning
    No matter what you will be required to sell and uplift, thats something they don't tell you initially
    Most people in management are self centered and think about themselves
    Upper management is crappy and never interact with you unless there is a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out you own butt and interact with those lower on the pole who actually make your business money everyday

Bad Politics and untrustworthy upper management but great benefits and pay.

Front Line Agent (Current Employee)
    Conway, AR

ProsGreat Pay, Great Benefits, Great Co-Workers, Good amount of training in the beginning of your employment with them. Great Trainers and a few good supervisors as well.

ConsUpper management not trust worthy, promoted under achievers instead of over achievers based on nepotism or friendships versus hard working experienced and dedicated workers who were more qualified, and had been there much longer; despite preaching to everyone that the company doesn't work like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the beginning the company was a terrific place to work. Unfortunately after the company started making money, the wrong people were promoted and that's when many of the cons began to come into play. Quit losing great employees over a few bad seeds in the company. Just because they are your friends and nice to your face, doesn't mean they are when you aren't around.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in Conway, AR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.