Hewlett-Packard

8,872 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,363 Ratings

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1130 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 650 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 195 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 317 reviews)

More Highlights

261 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Talented people

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment - great work & life balance.

Cons

Lack of dynamics. The company is too big. You do your job and you are good.

HP needs to keep changing. Benefits became very less competitive after Mark Hurd time.

No one I knew was stoked to come to work on a daily basis at HP.

Current Employee - Support Account Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Support Account Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge company. Many roles reputation in the past which does not come close to the current state of affairs in the company.

Cons

Entrenched mid level management, many seem to be running out the clock or looking over their shoulders at people who want to back stab them. Very poor path for professional growth. HR completely tone deaf to employee concerns.

Worked 10+ years for HP, can't get back in after raising children.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

HP was a great place to work, learned about the entire HW/SW lifecycle and have quality processes ingrained in everything I do.

Cons

I thought I could get back in with all my experience, but have failed after 24 months of trying.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Had a great experience working at HP for 10+ years

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Work / Life balance is important to most teams and managers at HP
    - Great benefits
    - Alternative work space...work from home in many roles at HP
    - Industry leader

Cons

- Over the past few years lots of churn at the top has lowered morale as the direction of the company has shifted multiple times
    - Great benefits but pay could be better
    - Upward mobility is limited by promotion and job change policies
    - There seems to be a shift to move teleworkers back to an onsite work environment

- Decide on the core focus for each division, look for synergies between the divisions, and stay focused on the end goal.
    - Figure out a way to remove some of the "red tape." With 300K employees I know it's hard for the company to be as agile as a start-up but HP needs to be more flexible

Good if you are lucky enough to have perks, but these are few and far between... culture needs major makeover

Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hands down the people, at least on my team and the teams I worked with. Incredibly smart, sweet, gifted people at what they did. With some exceptions (notably my last manager), everyone seemed to genuinely care about one another. Also, the scale of the company means that budgets are a little bigger than at smaller companies, which gives more room for creative campaigns-- if they make it through approvals. I had a pretty unique experience and got to travel a lot and interact with all different executive levels (all the way up to Meg), so those were high points; I am pretty sure this is not typical.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy in too many areas; sheer scale of the company makes it difficult to get things through approvals. Company culture was severely lacking in ways to keep employees motivated and happy-- I was never made to feel valued or cared about by the company itself, just by my boss and my team. Prevalence of cynicism about the company's direction and products made it hard to care deeply about anything. Executive management seemed out of touch at times with the reality of what we were working on. Lack of transportation from San Francisco to the South Bay makes it seem out of touch with the reality of Silicon Valley these days-- talent lives in the city and no one wants to commute 100 miles a day (which I did for 4 years).

Get it together on employee culture and spend the money it takes to provide basics like decent coffee and free soda. It is the little things (that are totally normal at EVERY other tech company in the Valley) that make it just a little bit nicer to go into work. Feeling underappreciated all the time is a guaranteed catalyst to killing retention rates-- no one wants to stay where they do not feel like they matter. And, transparency is key-- open communication about where the company is going is crucial to keep employees feeling like they are actually a part of something. Taking it back to Bill and Dave days (at least from what I heard from older colleagues) should be a huge goal.

Mostly good, sometime frustrating.

Former Employee - Technology Consultant  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great managers in my organization.

Cons

Complexity in processes to obtain goods/services even within the internal organizations.

Stop making it difficult for your own internal employees to obtain the goods/services they need.

A once great company in disarray

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Work-Life balance is good compared to other tech companies. "work" from home is prevalent. But, even this is due to people not taking their jobs seriously.

Cons

A lot of individual and organizational effort is wasted on dealing with messy politics. There is no attention to product development and customers. A lot of territorial in-fighting. Very very few promotions are merit based.

Take a little time to care about the company.

Stressed out employees in fear of the next round of layoffs

Former Employee - Enterprise Solutions Architect  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Solutions Architect in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady paycheck. May not go up no matter how hard you work.

Cons

Awful executive management, Ranked against your team of coworkers and against the larger group you work in, from top to bottom. If you work in a team of all High achievers and top producers, you can be the middle or bottom of the list of the best, and your future hangs on that, thus the stress.

Layoff your VP's and Directors, productivity would increase beyond all your wildest dreams. Get out of the way of the Sales Force and Pre-sales teams, they are the CASH engine that makes the company. Stop changing your Sales Reps accounts every year. Pay your Sales teams on time this minimum base until you each goals

A very large organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard for more than 10 years

Pros

HP has good facilities and support; good ethics and honesty are preached and can be practiced. HP has good potential to be great again.

Cons

The Information Technology department was decimated and then being rebuilt. With everything depending on IT, this made the job more difficult. The bonus system wasn't transparent, and in my view a potential for misuse or worse. The Human Resources department was almost non-existent. These issues are the legacy of Mr. Hurd's tenure.

The departments need more autonomy to function well. As large as the company is, the "top down" management style isn't efficient. Harnessing individual initiative by allowing smaller groups to thrive will help. IT needs to be appreciated as it is the backbone of operations. Mr. Hurd didn't do the company any favors with his handling of IT and long-term goals.

Big company that used to be great but has lost its way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun employees.
    Great managers.
    Very flexible on work hours.

Cons

With razor-thin profits, always threats of layoffs.
    More jobs being outsourced.

Value the employees you have an quit messing with everything.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!