Hewlett-Packard

9,490 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,698 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

266 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Talented people

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment - great work & life balance.

Cons

Lack of dynamics. The company is too big. You do your job and you are good.

HP needs to keep changing. Benefits became very less competitive after Mark Hurd time.

Used to be better

Former Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard to say these days. Moral is low and everyone is just watching their back. Open Door was great. If it still exists.

Cons

Dropped work at home, lost technical chops, focused on stock price at expense of common sense and long ter growth, cut vacation, bennies, and fun.

Focus on. Goal, not "reinventing" every 3 years. Fire board and CEO

Engineering Program Manager

Former Employee - Engineering Program Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture. Work life balance

Cons

benefits and compensations. lots of changes

bring back the old HP culture! get back to innovation!

Always Changing

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company, good benefits, liked the group I was working with. There were opportunities if you knew who to talk to or had a mentor.

Cons

Managers always changing, sometimes they aren't in your state but remote. Too big and rules-bound, old HP could do work arounds to get around rules or obstacles from management.

Wonderful company that lost its way

Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

HP has many excellent employees and managers. They try to do their best for the customers, the other employees, and the stockholders, even when it's not in their own best interest.

Cons

Employees are no longer valued, in even a theoretical way.

Restore Employees to be back in the priority list with customers + shareholders. HP employees are excellent at following corporate objectives. Most of the needed corrections should follow naturally.

QA engineer

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

compensation is very low. culture is not creative, but doing northing wrong.

Cons

nothing good to say. benefits is bad. there is no hope for a promotion or so on.

No one I knew was stoked to come to work on a daily basis at HP.

Current Employee - Support Account Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Support Account Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Huge company. Many roles reputation in the past which does not come close to the current state of affairs in the company.

Cons

Entrenched mid level management, many seem to be running out the clock or looking over their shoulders at people who want to back stab them. Very poor path for professional growth. HR completely tone deaf to employee concerns.

Worked 10+ years for HP, can't get back in after raising children.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP was a great place to work, learned about the entire HW/SW lifecycle and have quality processes ingrained in everything I do.

Cons

I thought I could get back in with all my experience, but have failed after 24 months of trying.

Good if you are lucky enough to have perks, but these are few and far between... culture needs major makeover

Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Worldwide PR Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down the people, at least on my team and the teams I worked with. Incredibly smart, sweet, gifted people at what they did. With some exceptions (notably my last manager), everyone seemed to genuinely care about one another. Also, the scale of the company means that budgets are a little bigger than at smaller companies, which gives more room for creative campaigns-- if they make it through approvals. I had a pretty unique experience and got to travel a lot and interact with all different executive levels (all the way up to Meg), so those were high points; I am pretty sure this is not typical.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy in too many areas; sheer scale of the company makes it difficult to get things through approvals. Company culture was severely lacking in ways to keep employees motivated and happy-- I was never made to feel valued or cared about by the company itself, just by my boss and my team. Prevalence of cynicism about the company's direction and products made it hard to care deeply about anything. Executive management seemed out of touch at times with the reality of what we were working on. Lack of transportation from San Francisco to the South Bay makes it seem out of touch with the reality of Silicon Valley these days-- talent lives in the city and no one wants to commute 100 miles a day (which I did for 4 years).

Get it together on employee culture and spend the money it takes to provide basics like decent coffee and free soda. It is the little things (that are totally normal at EVERY other tech company in the Valley) that make it just a little bit nicer to go into work. Feeling underappreciated all the time is a guaranteed catalyst to killing retention rates-- no one wants to stay where they do not feel like they matter. And, transparency is key-- open communication about where the company is going is crucial to keep employees feeling like they are actually a part of something. Taking it back to Bill and Dave days (at least from what I heard from older colleagues) should be a huge goal.

Had a great experience working at HP for 10+ years

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Work / Life balance is important to most teams and managers at HP
    - Great benefits
    - Alternative work space...work from home in many roles at HP
    - Industry leader

Cons

- Over the past few years lots of churn at the top has lowered morale as the direction of the company has shifted multiple times
    - Great benefits but pay could be better
    - Upward mobility is limited by promotion and job change policies
    - There seems to be a shift to move teleworkers back to an onsite work environment

- Decide on the core focus for each division, look for synergies between the divisions, and stay focused on the end goal.
    - Figure out a way to remove some of the "red tape." With 300K employees I know it's hard for the company to be as agile as a start-up but HP needs to be more flexible