Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

180 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Technology Consultant

Technology Consultant IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. Great benefits.

ConsI don't find any cons working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

On the right track.

Business Analyst III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood training opportunities. Great people to work with.

ConsNot much room for advancement. With such a large employee base you can sometimes feel like another number.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the turn around going. Continue focus on recognition and rewards.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Usability Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

ProsAt HP, your contributions are valued, good teamwork, focused on helping you develop your career path, great benefits, and competitive salary.. recent changes with the turnaround is making this matter to many people and the future of the company

ConsOld ways of doing things are hard to redefine, employees resistant to change makes adaptability to new methods and moving forward difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course for making it matter, assimilate the borgs, reward employees where deserved, get rid of the political mess and people-smashing ladder runners, hire knowledge, common sense, high integrity, and high ethics

Hard work and great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTeamwork. Great middle management that cares about and supports their people/team

ConsLong hours and little or no raises

Advice to Senior ManagementA little money goes a lot further in keeping people happy and knowing you care rather than a shout out on a monthly/quarterly business call.

Manufacturing company transitioning into Service Provider.

IT Security Analyst (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsGlobal affect. I like the fact that HP is active in many other countries outside the US. Through workplace social media we have a connection to most of the world.

ConsCommunication barriers. We have many holes in our methods of communication amongst our immediate organization. There is frequent organizational change making it difficult to establish a solid working relationship with coworkers on whom the success of my position depends.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the resources at your disposal, at maximum capacity.

Ok place to work

Technical Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work/life balance. Good people to work with. Immediate management cares. Make sure you are in the correct organization for your goals and can be a good place to work.

ConsMany reorganizations, expect changes all the time. Reorganization can create lack of direction. Telecommute opportunities vary. Travel

Overall for 10+ years HP has been a good place to work; however, the current leadership is making big mistakes.

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRespected brand and still one of the top technology companies in the world.

ConsWork-life balance used to be a major selling point for working at HP. Not anymore as the CEO got the bright idea that HP's turnaround is dependent upon people working at HP sites for "increased collaboration" and "sharing of ideas" even when employees don't necessarily work closely - or at all - with others who are at the same physical work location. As a result, employees are now being required to commute to HP offices as far as 1 hour away (and even pressured by their management to make longer commutes than 1 hour) to be less productive than they would be working from home. Ironically, many HP offices are currently at full capacity and don't have available space for soon-to-be former teleworkers due to the fact that HP decided to sell much of its real estate a few years ago because management at that time recognized that with improved technologies (including products that HP makes itself) it was no longer necessary to have so many employees working from HP offices when they could work from home and be more productive, happier and leave a much smaller carbon footprint.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to allow employees to work from home on a regular basis or you will lose your best people who value job flexibility and work-life balance more than pay and other financial rewards.

Test Manager

Information Testing (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSince I was in a service based department of the company, I got an opportunity to work with various clients which gave me an insight into various domains. The health insurance is the best in business. No complaints of the vacation time as well. The work from home option worked really well for most of us.

ConsThe company itself was not doing well which led to layoffs. They could have handled it better. There is very little scope for promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of families were affected during the layoff. Please be courteous. Most people managers just wanted to ged rid of people. Providing the right compensation was alright. The compensation is just one of the many aspects.

HP downsizing, constant reorganization. Lost focus. Pressure cooker.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAllows telecommuting.
On line training is excellent. Very little direct interface to learn job. Training is a sink or swim attitude.
Local employer easy commute.

ConsManagement has lost direction. e.g.
Launch of 1st notepad was a total disaster. Company pulled product. Second launch was a lackluster product that does not thrill anyone.
Core business is printers, PC, laptop, notebook development and business is not on par with competitors.
Purchased EDS but have not been able to integrate the Service Sector into HP business model. Accounts are being lost due to customer issues with service and system support. Company needs re-haul of internal support systems and databases. To do simple tasks for your job like a procurement order requires accessing as many as 6 separate systems to enter the data.
Pressure cooker atmosphere, cut backs in technical writing, editing, documentation, procurement training , and sales force the individual to do much much more than their skill sets and job description.
Support for technical work issues is on line and very confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the core business of printers, reimagine the printer.
Get innovative with your vision, don't be late to market with a inferior product like the notepad.
As for the service industry either learn how it works or spin if off, sell it before you implode the accounts.
Stop scrimping on the essentials, Tech Writers, Editors, Trainers and sales force. Cut wisely not to impress the shareholders. Cost pressures are driving the train, not the engine of good business sense and management.
The rah rah social media hocus pocus built for the internal HP employees is a vacuous means of putting a Band-Aid on the real issues facing the employees. Get real, this is big "C" Corporate America not eBay.

Not cutting it

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility, perks of the site (pharmacy, free fitness center).

ConsNo raises, work is very mundane, managers with the ability to "sell" get promoted, without getting anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale decreases when unworthy people get promoted. Steering a big ship to improve is near impossible without leadership support. One leader has flat said, "I don't have time to follow the process" If he doesn't, then his folks won't either. Also, layoffs always loom, which is extremely stressful.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 180 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.