Hewlett-Packard

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Find another job at your job to keep your job, or you'll be jobless.

Services Information Developer (Former Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

Pros- Flexible schedules with the opportunity to work from home was VERY nice.
    - Decent pay for an "entry level" position.
    - In-house cafeteria has a great staff and good food.

Cons- Nosy coworkers like to spread rumors and talk too loud while spreading those rumors.
    - Ever-present threat of losing your job if your contract is short/doesn't renew, or it takes you too long to find a company to hire you (find a job at your job).
    - Managers tend to listen to gossip and then do their own gossiping. They may even call your parents to tattle on you if they are too engrossed within that gossip and have no desire to learn the truth.
    - Little to no room for promotions or raises

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to :
    - Become more familiar with HR, State, and Federal laws regarding employee privacy
    - Play a bigger role in the placement of employees and not ignore assistance requests
    - Assist employees in creating goals for themselves and take an active role in getting them additional training.

Hewlett Packard is a reasonable place to be for middle of the road employees.

Technical Consultant V (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsTons of lateral movement possible and huge online training options.

ConsThey are not interested in retaining top employees and their salaries and raise policies push this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn technical fields a top employee can be worth multiple lesser ones. You should work to retain them instead of pushing your top minds out the door.

Process Support Specialist as a contractor for HP

Process Specialist (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsWork from home as needed.

ConsWorking as a contract for three years for HP through Manpower. I received very little training or support when I first started. I have no vacation time, never received a performance review or a raise. Absolutely zero possibility of advancement or hiring on to be an HP employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer personal growth opportunities to contractors similar to what actual HP employees receive. Give us a reason to care about HP and the future.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hewlett Packard is highly disorganized on purpose.

Detroit, MI

ProsIf your looking to get a job quickly and are willing to work for a low salary this is the place.
    They use lots of contract help garnered at very low wages. They keep everything disorganized
    with the thought in mind they can change their rules quickly.

ConsBecause their business model remains disorganized advancement from within is meaningless.
    You become easy to blame scapegoat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not the way to build loyal employees.

Need to stick to ink and printers

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Auburn Hills, MI

ProsLarge Company, huge growth potential if they choose to.

ConsNot a good service oriented company. Employees salaries are dictated by stock price objectives. Company arbitrarily lost large %'s of their talent pool based on high level directives to cut salaries across the board for groups of technical job codes. Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary cuts on employees with 5-10 years seniority tends to leave a sour taste in employees mouth. Cause and effect. The employees who stay tend not to have other alternatives.

HP is continuing to enhance it's performance.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsA great team of people with abundant technical expertise. Lots of training opportunities for employees. Provides employees the flexibility to work remotely (of course based on business requirements)

ConsLots of focus on the bottom line while not enough focus on acknowledgment of employees contributions (from a compensation perspective). Employees constantly worrying about what is the next assignment so they can stay employed.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees that you 'really' care about them and their well being.

Good before the crash.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsAbove average salary and decent benefits. Work was fun and you personally felt part of something important and relevant.

ConsWas a good place to work before the downsizing began. Employee morale is now at a new low and additionally "work-at-homes" are being pulled back in the office... not too long after they were told to work from home. The company functions like a drifting ship with no rudder. Management does not know how to get back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people... GOOD people. The manager should actually make the effort to help employees succeed instead of just going through the motions just to achieve their goals and objectives. A well running team that feels supported by their manager will excel and do whatever they can to make the manager appear impressive to his management chain. A manger that is too self-absorbed to care about the team will not get much dedication from the team.

Mostly positive experience

Change Management Communications (Former Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsGenerally good career opportunities. Good culture & environment. Benefits were solid. Time off policy was on par with similar companies.

Consvery difficult to get salary increases.

Just a launchpad

Phone Jockey (Former Employee)

ProsLooks good on resume
    Great benefits

ConsTerrible management
    terrible pay
    management lacks needed training, skills and common sense

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the management teams you have now and get better ones. Current ones are in dire need of proper training.

Not as advertised

Vendor Manager (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsI've had some really great managers. I enjoy the telework option my team has; this is what is currently keeping me at HP.

ConsVague job description during interview and a bit mis-leading. I was moved into my current position without being consulted. I'm having a hard time getting my career path back on track.

You have to use vacation days for the mandatory Christmas shut-down, or not be paid.

Pay raises and bonuses are less than desirable while the company is still in recovery mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees what they are worth, especially if you want the young ones to stay.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in Detroit, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.