Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

415 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work Life Balance

Senior Finance Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsPretty good benefits but being reduced, been with the company for many years, I work with great people, love my finance roles, have had some great managers. Have been a manager and individual contributor. Company has given me a lot of opportunities to grow and learn.

ConsThe company had been promoting work life balance and moving jobs outside of the US to reduce expenses. I work on a global team of which all of us have been working from home. Because we are in a global role, we are required to have very early morning calls and late evening calls. We also have more work than we handle so we work over 50 to 60 hours a week. We are now being told to come back to the office. I can understand doing this if your team is in one location including your Manager and you do not work in a lot of other time zones. I have no one from my team in my location. I have not seen any direct Manager in person in the last 4 years. My Manager is allowed to work from home as there is no HP office in their area. I believe you should be able to work from home if you are in a global role, if your own team is not in your location, if you work in multiple time zones. Working from home was a great benefit and compensated for the lack of salary increases. I have been able to work more hours for HP as I have been saving the commute time and working more for HP. Now I have to figure out how I will get my job done effectively wasteing the commute time and balancing working in multiple time zones. As a note when there were special meetings or work I needed to do at the office I went into the office. I took this global role which was a promotion but received no extra money for the promotion which is typical of HP but the working form home benefit help to compensate and now this is being taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to relook at the HP Culture and benefits and structure. You have shipped jobs outside the US and have us working with teams all over the globe and now are expecting us to come back into the office and still work all over the globe. If you have a global role and work with teams over the globe you should be able to still work from home. You need to start rebalancing the teams so they are together in one location including the Manager. It seems HP is constantly reorganizing making changes without considering most of the work force. Our benefits are eroding, no more stock options, reductions in 401k matching, frozen pensions, forced ranking, 1% raises, and not paying for working from home expenses. While we are seeing more VPs being hired and executives getting millions of stock options and golden parachutes at the suffering of the worker bees. WE have executives making millions of dollars and we can only get a 1 % raise.

Company has many more improvements to make! Worse Fortune 500 experience

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOk compensation and benefits but below industry standards.

ConsLack of strategy and vision for my organization. No one likes change and employees are so accustomed to how hp operates that they are not open to different perspectives. Lack of collaboration and teamwork. No face to face meetings. New strategies are rolled out often that make no sense and leadership does not provide details. Compensation and benefits are below standard for a company of this size. Flexible work arrangements no longer exist. Very cold environment. Overworked employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a strategy and rollout appropriately. Hire leaders that bring experience outside of HP that can offer new perspective. Improve benefits package and compensation. Clean house...eliminate dead weight!

Amazing

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlexible, hands on, fun, welcoming, open

ConsGlobal teams - hard to communicate

Advice to Senior Managementhave more team building and site socials

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional and motivated employees. Majority are team players.

Marketing Research (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsExcellent and professional colleagues. Large campus in a wooded area.

ConsProcesses slowed progress of projects.

An experience that has enabled me to learn and master new skills in the IT, Networking, and Computer Sciece fields.

Test Technician (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAlways willing to train and offer opportunities for andvancement within the company. Family oriented, one feels their worth while working for HP.

ConsLayoffs becoming more frequent, At times andvancement becomes more of who you know rather than what you know and kept quietly behind closed doors.

IT - Server Build Out Management

Server Coordination (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood for starting salary and ending career.

Lots of latter move with organization. Benefits are great.

ConsToo much reorganization.
    Not enough promotions or rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on providing better tools.

A big company with many opportunities that make a long term career interesting.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsA diverse company with many opportunities. The current strategy that emphasizes quality and customers makes me proud of this company.

ConsThe last 10 years of executive and strategy changes have been frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us focused on our customers.

Good place to work

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood place to learn new technologies

ConsSalary is not competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits

Great Benefits, smart people, good work/life balance

Internal Auditor (Current Employee)

Prosflexibility
    no micro-management
    great benefits
    good people to work with
    lots of opportunity for training and career advancement

Conssometimes work on different time zones
    cost cutting can be a drag
    can be easy to get "lost" in the day to day if you aren't proactive about learning
    mediocre salary

Advice to Senior Managementmore transparency of pay increase opportunities

HP is friendly, helpful and keeps its employees in the forefront

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe managers listen to what you have to say, they try to make it possible to have a home life. There are good benefits & fairly flexible work hours

ConsNo telecommute anymore. There are frequent reorganizations

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down the reorgs and instead of giving pink slips, give active chances to switch roles.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 415 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.