Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

416 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Test Technician

Test Technician (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosyou can buy vacation day

Consmost job require BS degree

Hewlett-Packard Talent Acquisition - Digital Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

Completely agree with you - being able to buy extra vacation days in the US is an awesome benefit! As a new HP employee, you do start off with 3 weeks. Thanks for sharing your feedback!

I have had a wonderful experience working with numerous global HP partners and colleagues throughout the US.

Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI truly appreciate the flexibility in working from home or in the office setting environment that I have utilized from time to time. This company stance has allowed me to have a great work-life balance. HP consistently challenged me as a project manager where I led global teams allowing me great personal growth high consistent interactions with colleagues and partners from around the world. I love it!

ConsOffice culture can be a bit confusing and I was hired for a one-year contract, thus, a temporary employee which causes undue stress on the personal side as I have had to take the time to job search at HP and other companies. I feel like I am in a bit of limbo on what my future is with the company. Senior management tells me I am doing a great job, yet no one has come forth and hired me on a permanent basis yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly urge HP when they hire employees on a one-year temporary contract it should be with the thought of a smooth transition from the contract to a full time permanent employee if the employee has worked out well.

Draining

Vice President (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSmart people, the products coming out are very promising. There are good opportunities to move around both to different cities and also different business groups or different types of jobs.

ConsConstant issues, need to move from transformation to steady state, benefits going down...now they want employees to go back to an office even if you don't work with anyone in that office and are acting like big brother tracking if you go in every day. One step away from putting time card punching back in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees more vs assuming they aren't working hard. If they aren't have managers make the change and hold them accountable. Don't say we need to work more together and then take travel away.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gone are the glory days

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBig company, brand recognition, large market share in printers, normally great peers, global company

ConsDeclining market, workforce reductions, lots of reorg's, getting very centralized, lots of cost cutting over the past 5 yrs to the point of can't order office supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess Sr. Exec, give employees more ownership. Figure out the org and stop changing things....just when employees get in a groove everything changes again.

Good place to learn, bad for career growth

Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsChallenging work
    Work with latest hardware technologies
    Higher than average pay

ConsThe lack of discipline holds up HP's progress
    Lazy and lackluster management willing to accept mediocrity
    No vision for the future. The bulk of relevant jobs being outsourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or ship out

BUREAUCRATIC MALAISE

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company offers opportunity if in the proper chain of command. Very diverse culturally which makes for interesting conversation and work atmospheres. Decent salary and benefits.

Cons1. Bureaucratic and clique oriented.
    2. Old Boy network where bias towards Compaq staff vs. HP staff.
    3. Those in charge push down solutions rather than garnering input from those affected.
    4. Whole time with this company constant threat of closing plant and moving offshore (started already).
    5. Due to aforementioned issues and others the staff has very low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk instead of just giving lip service. Really listen to your staff and value their input as they are the reason you have a job; and, not the other way around. Real collaboration works wonders rather than coming in with a set agenda.

hardware quality engineer

Hardware Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosculture experience and all the employee I have worked with

Consseem this company lays off people that have been there for a long time with out any issue with the employee

Advice to Senior Managementpeople with experience that good employees along with be veterans should not be laid off to move their job to another country

Proud to work for HP the technology company, frustrated by HP the corporate entity.

Software Engineer (QA) (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBreadth of product and services, and the potential for integration. Scale. Leading or competitive in each chosen market. Current executive team appears to have the correct business acumen and attitude to lead HP to a stronger position.

ConsParamount focus on cost, to the detriment of quality. Reckless elimination of first-world employees, with little to no warning. Delusional belief in the ability to create equivalent engineering capabilities in low-labor-cost areas. Consistent disingenuity or vapid propaganda in internal communications.

Personally, I find abhorrent most corporate positions on social and political issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement appears unwavering on all issues of significance. There is no point in providing feedback.

Good company but with room for improvements

Services Information Developer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood working environment, good people and many good managers, ability to learn, good benefits and employee discounts.

ConsPoor compensation and always a good reason why you can not receive a raise this year even thought you preforming well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the employee's survey, you will find a lot of good ideas and it will give you a good sense of the state of the employees moral.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the company and people here! They work so hard.

IT Developer/Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNo micro-management, freedom to complete your work, they care about your personal growth, managers are very understanding, Co-workers are great, new technology, exciting

ConsThe coffee is terrible ;) sometimes you have to work long hours, but it's not because your manager makes you, typically it's because you want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! IT Managers are killing it. Doing an amazing job!

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!