Hewlett-Packard

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Big behemoth where making a difference is impossible. Good people to work with, opportunities galore

Software Support (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery flexible, allowing to work remotely, good training opportunities (though most of them virtual only), great people to work with

ConsIncredibly frustrating red tape EVERYWHERE. From booking a trip with a broken online system, through trying to get a laptop replaced or fixed to working with outdated and badly implemented in-house software, nothing of importance ever gets done. Within teams and lower rank managers everything is fine but going above that it's all about money, shareholders and more money.
    If you are looking to get some satisfaction out of your job or be recognized in a way that matters, HP is not the place for you. It's hard to make a difference in such a big company, especially if you don't know how to 'work the system' or don't care to do so and just want to do your job.
    A ridiculous amount of time and money invested in making it look like HP cares but the salaries, recognition and rewards systems tell the real story.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople matter. Especially those employees that face your customers on a daily basis. A bit more respect and appreciation from 'above' wouldn't go amiss.

A stable organization with strong values

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros- Good work life balance
    - Great people and strong team culture
    - Clear strategy, and company on solid footing after turnaround.
    - CEO Meg Whitman has built stability and confidence internally and externally to the organisation

Cons- Middle Management too transient
    - Complex organization with a lot of bureaucracy
    - Internal politics and process can often hinder sales

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the bureaucracy and red tape
    Focus middle management more on people management and leadership, less reporting

Used to be great, now rapidly worsening.

Account Service Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros- Dynamic work environment and international culture.

Cons- Emphasis on lower costs over quality
    - Endless number of bottlenecks in management and administration
    - Resistant to change and innovation
    - Decreasing regard for customers

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on increasing quality, rather than repeatedly making cost cuts which lead to no results.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Right company to be in at the right time

Presales Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, investment in training but if you want it you have to ask for it. Competitive salary, real opportunity to over-achieve. Product set is vast which can be both a strength and a weakness.

ConsCar allowance a little on the low side taking tax into consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent when making redundancy announcements. A workforce of 300k + is bound to need some fat trimming, but when you announce it to the public, let the workforce know more detail.

Good opportunities to move about both company and country wise. Good training.Benefits continually cutback since 1999.

Presales Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood training opportunities but you need to be motivated to drive you own training plan. Many opportunities within the giant organisation to change careers at the company's expense. Easy to climb the corporate ladder should you so desire.

ConsInconsistent management styles. People management skills never considered when hiring management. As it's a global company certain roles can dictate long hours dealing with Americas, EMEA and APJ working across the timezones. The 37.5 hour work week is a thing of fiction...if you want to actually get something delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons and improve benefits...money often helps!
    They talk a good talk about worklife balance but the reality is far from this.

Lions led by....

Business Consultant V (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsPeople are great - knowledgeable, helpful - genuine desire to do a good job for the customer
    Fantastic variety of clients and situations
    Great capabilities - tools, products, people
    Freedom to perform - free to use your common sense (often) and work as a contributor where appropriate

ConsCould moan about pay rises (none!) BUT actually that is a bigger problem than just at HP. The real issue is that management appears to be populated solely by spread sheet monkeys. Leadership is about inspiring and providing direction, not box ticking. I worked at a number of other Blue Chips and all invested in me as a leader over 25 years... I see none of that at HP.... if it is taking place, then it isn't working.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing spread sheets and start leading people.

Fantastic Organization with extremely talented People all around.

Network Consultant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI experienced only growth,rich experience and some fantastic people to work around with.

ConsI do not have any negative experience to share here for HP.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing they are all doing great job..

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

not the same company I started with 22 years ago

Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosstill financially solid, good reputation, good low level people (tecnical etc.).

ConsNo chance to get decent pay increase unless you come from outside. Workload. Management is crazy, beside maybe the lowest level who do real practical things, obove them they keep reorganizing and changing names to teams, too worried about their bonuses only. Processes out of control, completely crazy (to order a 1K$ sw we spent 45 days trying about 10 different internal processes and teams)

Advice to Senior ManagementGive few clear, simple, alligned goals and metrics at L2 and these must be the same for all the people under them. Now each 3-5 people team has a different goal competing with the next 5 people team next to them. Metrics have ruined HP. We work for the good of HP, not of the little guy above us (who changes anyway every 8 months).

A once-great company in the process of becoming great again.

Sales Director (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery friendly and welcoming people. Compensation and benefits are good, with a broad package of options available. A large organisation, with lots of opportunity to move about between very different roles. Feels like a very flat organisation, with clear and strong communications down from above - much improved over the last couple of years.

ConsMany of the processes are still quite broken, which doesn't make a salesman's job easier. (Why oh why is pricing anything so difficult? Especially if it's across multiple product lines?)

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the cross-business-unit barriers! When you say "One HP", you should really mean it - it shouldn't just be words on a chart.

EDS UK was bad before HP, now it is even worse

Delivery Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsIf you can get into the right job, Management, Bid Manager, Sales Manager, there is almost no control over how you spend your time or your expenses.

ConsThe company gets what it deserves. Its senior management have demotivated staff so most of them take what they cant get through raises or promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your own act, then act as leaders with some inspiration and honesty, you will find the staff will follow.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.