Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fair to midland

Solution Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe name is a benefit when in the sales organization. The benefits are very god.

ConsThe size is difficult to get things done.

Confused leadership

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosencouraging and relaxed work environment

Conslike any large organization, HP-ES resists change and resists learning.
    lack of direction.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to folks on ground.. take feedback with open mind.

20 year veteran

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat company to work for and grow your career.

HP has many career enhancing opportunities with the ever changing IT industry such as internal HP university and full access to books x 24-7 to help you grow your IT knowledge.

there are many changes going on with the company all the time such as org changes that will give you a chance to have a mixed leadership that can be global, your team could be made up of several cultures and makes an interesting mix.

HP medical benefits are good and other standard perk's but could be better such as the HP employee purchase plans that only give 10-15% if that on items, most of the time you can beat that by shopping at many different retailers.

vacation time is good and is dependent on years of service after 5 years goes up to about 4 weeks, this policy has changed and still could.

Meg the CEO trying to bring back the whole HP employee togetherness plan that will bring HP workers in office more and allow for co-worker growth, post this plan was most employees could work from home and this has now changed for all new hires will not be given this option.

Overall depending on your ability to grow and not get too comfortable in one position is the best advice here, HP should be a consideration if your looking for a job

Consas stated there are some down falls from the work from home policy changes this has made some people to move on.

Work environment will vary depending on where and what position you choose or hire into.

HP has a new pay for performance and is very strict on this standard Work force reductions are every 6 months or about and switch between the UK and other regions. This WFR is tied to just not your performance but manager review and most of the time each team may be required to reduce a person and your management may not have a choice who to let go.

Note that the EU and south america including Asia regions will be hit hard in 2014 and the US at the end of year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HP is a great company to work for if you can thrive in environment of a few100K employees.

Project Manager (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThere are lots of opportunities if you know were to look and you build a network of peers. Opportunities are there to be taken

ConsThe company is very large, being part of large Matrix organizations you can get lost in the shuffle and the size of the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to reduce the number of emplyees to managers, they try to do the best they can with the large organizations but there are some casulties of good employees, maybe a better peer program would assist.

PSG Acct Mgr (Sales) SLED

PSG Acct Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSolid people...made many life long friends
    Good relative salary
    opportunity to move around within company

Consmorale all time low as a result of HP losing vision. Visionary products seem to be a thing of the past making it harder on the sales force. This has a domino effect which makes hitting numbers, making money, having fun more challenging.
    Most HP products are now commodities...commodity products have become increasingly about low price verse customer relationships.
    -new compensation plans are making it harder and harder to make monies of the past
    -no collaboration between different business units leads to many inefficiencies.

Advice to Senior Managementstay the path
    stay away from micro managers- seeing more being hired which cripples moral.

High caliber peers

Account Executive (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsTeamwork atmosphere even in the competitive world of sales

ConsConfusion about the company's direction

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more of upper management's thinking with the team you supervise

Company in transition to cut workforce.

Server Engineer (Former Employee) Simi Valley, CA

ProsReasonable Pay for performance provided.

ConsVery large and cumbersome organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees.

Good Technology Company -- very bureaucratic

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood for those interested in Technology

ConsTo many positions in the US are or have been outsourced

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to know better their employees

Creative and Pleasant work enviornment

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood leadership,excellent access to resources,innovators, great management. They also are felxible with relocation and have higher education programs to help with tuition

ConsPay cuts, long hours, salary freezes, loss of benefits,

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more consideration ot employees inputs

During my 13 years carreer with HP, I learned the fundamentals of great leadershI had a great experience working for HP

Program Manager (Former Employee) Fullerton, CA

ProsGreat corporate culture based on commitment to customer service and quality product and professional services.

ConsThe cultured changed after the passing of Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard and it became more financial driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementDave Packard once told me " Take care of your staff and they will take care of our customers".
    Since 34 years ago, it became my model for management and building loyalty.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!