Hewlett-Packard

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tech Giant with a lot of restructure every other year.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat team environment and great spiffs.

ConsLayoffs add to your volume of work, without additional pay, if you are lucky enough to keep your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on coaching your sales team instead of micromanaging for sales numbers.

Pros and Cons

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBetter Paying Job in the Albuquerque area with a lot of upside. People are great to work with. Large company, so there is opportunity to move up if you are willing to move.

ConsBecoming more and more micromanaged. It seems like there is always some new "thing" tied to your pay that holds you back.

Many years of dodging the Lay-off Bullet

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits, pay, flexible hours/culture (in most cases). There is a strong team spirit and my managers always had my back. Employees working from home are treated well with whatever equipment they need to do their job.

ConsSince acquiring Compaq, where I started, HP has been cutting technology, jobs, employee social programs, and shrinking some of the finer benefits -- no more vacation carry-over, no more after-hours, on-call or holiday pay, no more discount on Employee stock purchase, and a severe slashing of 'spot awards', stock options, year-end bonuses and other incentives or pats on the back for a job well done.
As with my peers, most of my years with HP were filled with the uncertainty of continued future employment. I was Always keeping an eye open for the next opportunity to make a lateral or slightly upwards move to dodge the next Lay Off Bullet.
HP has systematically cut their US Sales, Support and Development teams down to the bone... to the detriment of quality, customer satisfaction and reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing high-tech competencies to tragically unprepared entities.
Use what tech muscle you still have in the US to dominate the world of 3D printing.

Good Culture, Pay structure is bad

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with, great team environment, and hire top people.

ConsPay structure is a magical formula and you have to track everything manually. It is extremely frustrating. Constantly switching the reps around in territories, work on deals for months and they are taken away from you. Very frustrating internally.

Great place to be

Imside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good place to start.

ConsIt was great overall no complains

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved my manager she was great!

HP is a great place to work!

Technical Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are great. We have the standard 401(k) matching up to 4%, good health insurance, decent dental and vision. But the little things are nice too, like legal insurance, 25% off of your cell phone bill, etc.

There are defined processes for everything, the internal websites are great and you can find just about anything you need. There are live phone and chat agents with HR, which is amazing.

ConsLayoffs can be pretty hard. Navigating processes for a pay increase can also be quite difficult. Despite stellar reviews and being a key member of my team, pushing through a pay increase to get me to where I should has been tough. Lots of belt tightening these days

Technical Support Engineer

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Exposure to bleeding edge technology
- Lots of opportunity to learn
- Decent health benefits

Cons- Metrics driven workplace, a lot of time wasted trying to fix the metrics so your bosses looks good
- Layoffs, Work Force Reductions, Attritions - words that go hand in hand with the HP brand

Advice to Senior Management- For the middle managers nothing really, they're just following orders from the top.
- For the top level managers, you need not worry whether the company goes belly up or the workers get disadvantaged, you have your golden parachutes.

Big company

Customer Solution Center Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefit package including partner benefits.

ConsHP will lay anyone off in a second. The company is too big to care about it's people.

Constant struggle.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery well paid for amount/difficulty level of work, very forgiving sales environment --- at other sales companies, you are fired if you do not meet 100% of quota. At HP, they lower your quota and tell you to "try again!"

ConsConstantly changing C-level staff, boring product lines, "kick you when you're down" sales structure. Management turns a blind eye and a deaf ear to any concerns/criticisms/questions that you may have, so don't bother asking.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, provide a more coherent (and longer lasting) vision, and hire internally.

Great place to hone your skills

Service Segment Manager II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf achieving anything is your goal - then HP is the place. You have unlimited resources at your disposal to create the person or professional you always wanted to be, be it, IT, Support, HR, etc.

ConsRight now, we have to worry about job cuts. But this is the corporate world and not just an HP centric issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire non degreed professionals in key roles and say yourself a lot of money and not sacrifice performance!

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings in New Mexico — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.