Hewlett-Packard Reviews

Meg Whitman

1. Very good work environment

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High caliber co-worker with high quality, integrity, of customer engagement support delivery.

Cons

Strategic Industry and Market right-sizing affect.

2. Puts dividends first

Former Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment, good benefits, never worked over 40hrs in a week, very flexible with schedule as long as work was completed on time.

Cons

Directions from management were very ambiguous, aren't fully vested in your 401k until 2 years of employment most people get laid off within the 2 years so the company saves that money.

3. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about customers, customer service and myself.

Cons

Job can be a bit lonely at times

Advice to Management

continue to hire good engineers

5. Make it Work for You

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a couple of accounts in OKC. Both at Shepherd Mall. On the OSEEGIB account most of the positions aside from the customer service dept. have nice daytime hours Monday-Friday. Managers/Supervisors, at least mine, are flexible and will work with you as far as appts, children issues, etc. Lots of extra money to be made with the constant OT.

Cons

Pay raises and bonuses are few and far between. Never ending overtime(positive and negative). 1 year and counting as of this review. The pay from person to person is varies greatly. A person with no relative experience/education can start with wage several dollars higher than a person with either of the aforementioned qualifications. Bonuses are seemingly randomly dolled out as well. Don't expect to to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

Reward ALL employees who have earned it. Compensate employees fairly.

6. ITO Svc Del Rep III

Current Employee - ITO Svc Del Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - ITO Svc Del Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to expanding business.

Cons

Movement is stagnant inside the company (Enterprise Services). Lateral transfer is best option.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat. Lazy workers are in it for the paycheck and don't look to improve anything.

7. Most disorganized company ever...

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for HP is a good way to pad your resume. They offer continuing education classes through their internak "HP University," so you are encouraged, even expected to continue learning more about your field and the company. HP also has an employee disaster outreach team that is fantastic.

Cons

Having an international company with tens of thousands of employees, you would expect there to be some form of organization. I have honestly never worked for a more inefficient company than HP. IT should be noted that my experience is limited to working for their "enterprise services" group. I was specifically assigned to the Oklahoma Medicaid account (Title XIX.)

There is an overabundance of management, yet a serious lack of leadership. Before my first day with the company, my manager was changed three times. To make matters worse, the system in place for making any system changes is excessive. to make a single change often required 5 or 6 change orders, each with a minimum of 2 project managers (often different for each change order.) Any time a defect was idenified - it generated its own set of change orders that often did not tie directly back to the originals.

The insanity does not stop there. . . I was employed as a business analyst, but was placed in a customer support role as a tester. While BA's can and often do some testing, it is not our sole function. Why the company takes someone with a very broad skill set and chooses to utilize only 5% of that knowledge, I will never understand.

I was hired as a salary employee, yet my manager emailed me almost daily requesting that I fill out a timecard. This is FAR from normal business practice for salaried employees. If that wasn't bad enough, if I didn't log 8 hours every day on said timecard, I was asked how I was going to "make up" the time. Unfortunately, the times I logged less than 8 hours (typically on a Friday,) I had actually worked 9 to 10 hour days Monday through Thursday. This begs the question, if I log 45 hours in a week, yet only work 7 hours on a Friday, then exactly what time am I "making up?"

Bottom line is this: HP is probably a decent company to intern for or have as a first job out of college to pad your resume with, but for someone who already has several years of professional experience in their field, steer clear!

Advice to Management

Meg, you're doing a good job of turning the company around, but Enterprise Services still needs a SERIOUS overhaul.

8. Awesome Company!

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very competitive salary and fun working environment.

Cons

The senior managers are pretty good but not great.

9. Regrets

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary. On-site boss is great but he works 80 hrs a week.

Cons

Worst mistake. More disorgainized than the government. I wish I would not have accepted the position. Unprofessional staff.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

Leading a Ship To Ground

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The people! A significant amount of folks have managed to survive the Leo/Marcella era. Given the empowerment the existing troop could bring back the momentum that was halted in mid 2008/2009. Highly collaborative professionals from significant heritage companies - Digital, Compaq, Tandem, EDS to name a few. The execution team is set to deliver given a clear and visionary charter.

The company has a leadership understanding and excellence in telecommuting model allowing the workforce to be effective and efficient minimizing the costs and centralization of "bricks and mortar" competitors. This leaves a fairly happy group of energized people that focus and deliver to their contributions and value to the goals.

Given the environment employees were able to digest long periods with no salary increases and benefit erosion maintaining corporate profitability and competitiveness. Trade offs for work life balance and job security.

Cons

The board should be held accountable for the past 4 years of tragedy. First Mark Hurd was mishandled and then hiring a complete boob was outright inexcusable. During the interim Marcella was allowed to squander talent pushing them out on the ice. The forced distribution of negative performance reviews demotivated and demoralized the teams.

The "yes sir/ma'am weasels" that managed through the bloodletting now are left mindlessly in control without their dictators. Serious morale and respect issues plague the hollow shell keeping the thinning blood pumping. Dropping the wrist slitting bomb playing with the desktop, tablet, and mobile business has shaken the employee and customer confidence.

Still more than 5 years have passed without the integration and incorporation of EDS into the business family and strategy has left the reputation and capabilities of outsourcing to flounder. I see a lot of similarities to when IBM was on the skids in the mid 90's. If the economy improves even a little there will most likely be a significant exodus of what little talent and experience Bonzo Alonzo hasn't already sacked.

Advice to Management

First, find some leadership! Invite Ross Perot to sit on the Board. Ensure you have an industry veteran at the helm. This is a technology and services company you don't need a dot com lottery winner. Focus on your customers - fill their needs and seek their counsel on developing the future capabilities. Mobility and sustainability is the keys to the next 10 - 15 years your surfboard should be catching that wave.

It is very interesting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

World wide recognition and notoriety.

Cons

Like working for the government, I will never meet any of the upper echelon of this company.

Advice to Management

I don't know yet...