Hewlett-Packard

8,810 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,328 Ratings

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights

374 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People! Committed to getting the job done.

Current Employee - GPLM  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - GPLM in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

People are some of the best in the biz and best to work with, little back stabbing or territory marking.They have all the cards to make things happen, hardware, software, services. Company values are apparent in the work/life balance.

Cons

Using Deloitte and Touche to restructure the infrastructure. MBA's with no real work experience (other than consulting) make poor judgments as to the needs of the business. Cubicles are a pain, people need training in how to control their emotions whilst in phone meetings.

Rein in D&T and take ownership of the process. Create internal teams to review D&T work and implement what is needed.

In with the new

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is investing and adapting its strategy and aligning the organization to the trends in IT. When HP gets it all pointing in the same direction look out!

Cons

With changing strategies comes churn and burn. Lets hope it does not perpetuate cronyism and complacency.

Shifting back to the office is a good cultural strategy but it is also alienates talent. Invest in more robust tools to support remote workers. Trends show companies are moving more and more to a balanced remote worker model and HP should be ahead as the leading IT company.

Tech's Old Guard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company seems to be moving in the right direction. Most managers are very flexible with your work schedule. Management is great on a one on one basis. Many of them have been with HP for a long time so they remember the core values that were instilled by Bill & Dave.There is a plethora of opportunity within the company because it is competing in so many different spaces.

Cons

Salary increases are rare, and work force reduction is becoming a regular thing at the company. It's a tough situation because the company is trying to turn it around, but they are too big for their own good. Compensation just doesn't compare to its tech neighbors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm working with HP for more than 10 years in the technical career path, from Software Developer to Program Manager.

Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- overall benefits are good
    - there is always a possibility to have "something happening" since the company is huge
    - flexibility and autonomy to do the work

Cons

- salary and HR policies are terrible
    - very old minded company
    - middle management prevent all innovation to emerge

Very old school and bureaucratic environment, but still a good place to work at depending on your priorities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Still a very good name in a number of countries (e.g., Latin American and others), good add into a resume.
    - Huge company with a lot of internal opportunities for job/career movement
    Can still find very good managers/peers, if you look in the right place, but teams' structures change very frequently

Cons

- Serious lack of ACTUAL decision makers
    - Very old school and bureaucratic environment. Senior management seriously needs to lighten up and acknowledge that IT companies of the future (as we claim to be) operate differently.
    - Can't believe they are making ALL people come back to offices without a sound ratinoale behind that, but rather based on what CEO and friends want, for whatever reason.
    - Lack of top-bottom communication

Great legacy, but will take a lot of work and turnover to get it back to what made it great.

Current Employee - Director, Software Engineering  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Software Engineering in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Best legacy in the business. The original Best Place to Work (and they sustained that title for decades through multiple reinventions of the company). All major technology companies that advertise a great culture are borrowing from The HP Way.
    - Lots of smart people still at HP or joining. Especially in Labs and in the hardware divisions (PPS, ISS), and increasingly in the other arms.
    - They take career development as a whole very seriously. Lots of career advancement and education resources available.
    - Vast breadth of technology fields in which to work.
    - Very flexible work environment, lots of respect for work/life balance (recent move away from telecommuting is not a hard and fast rule; it is still allowed where appropriate).
    - Great people. Very little ego problems. Still many that believe in The HP Way.
    - Being part of the largest IT company in the world has a lot of competitive advantages. The HP brand still carries a lot of weight, especially in enterprise markets.

Cons

- Gave up the crown of Best Place to Work without really much of a fight. Benefits and compensation are decent, but they have not really been kept competitive compared to other large tech companies, at least not in Silicon Valley. Some effort being applied to address this, but not enough.
    - Lots of silos. Vague vision/mission because HP is in so many lines of business. Divisions are run as separate business units, so there is a lot of politics (but this is getting better with the OneHP movement).
    - Lots of process, bureaucracy, which is understandable because the company is so big and spread. But this means that things move very slowly. Lacks agility to respond to rapid disruption.
    - In recent history, there has been too much focus on numbers rather than mission and vision. Lots of promising R&D initiatives that are pruned off the vine in favor of short-term goals.

Get back to the roots of the company. Make the place a great place to work again, get out of peoples' ways, and let them innovate and invent. HP's DNA was about applying technology to solve problems, and the ingredients are there but now the mission is diluted with the need to placate shareholders and the agendas of various internal kingdoms.

- HP used to have a massive talent advantage because they USED to be the Best Place to Work, bar none. They need to get back to reclaiming that title instead of focusing too much on numbers, which actually pushes technical talent away (and right into the arms of the likes of Google, Facebook, Apple, Samsung, etc). But as of this moment, I can't honestly say that HP is where I'd recommend a developer to work. There are currently too many other places that are better for your career and work satisfaction.

last 5 years out of a total of 11 years were challenging

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

5 years ago it was culture, work-life balance, flexibility, awesome people. Now all of this has gone away.

Cons

tremendous cost cutting, inflexibility, business changes, constant change in direction

employees would be more productive and happy if you let them work more from home and not mandate their coming onsite as well as monitor their badges.

Summer Internship

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

When I was an intern at HP, I experienced a great level of day to day stability, low stress and manageable workload. The experience is comfortable and the compensation is fair. Excellent work-life balance, and I was given healthcare benefits even as an intern.

Cons

The experience may be a little too comfortable- I never felt pushed to demonstrate my full capabilities. It was easy to coast and get told that I was doing well. This may be just because I was an intern and not an FTE. Office culture seemed a little traditional too, and I felt out of place if I wasn't dressed in at least Business Casual.

I did not get to interact too frequently with management, my manager worked at a different HP location. I was mostly left to just complete my work and submit it at infrequent intervals so I cannot comment.

Great place to learn bleeding edge technology

Current Employee - PLM  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - PLM in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good food and medical benefits

Cons

Large company which sometimes may slowdown things

None

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Opportunities for middle management and a pleasure to work

Cons

Upper management can seem a bit disconnected, but what position isn't

None comes to mind

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!