Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

352 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people to work with

IT Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

ConsManagement constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

Unleashed Potential - Could be Top of Class

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsDedicated and talented employees who push and deliver results in spite of limitations. Take healthy risks with innovation at forefront.

ConsWork-life balance and progress are constrained raising concerns about talent "burn out" and market gains.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake risks to promote the good ideas of solid visionary talent working at any level - survey the grass roots. Check those who would strip away common sense wins for short sighted and fleeting cost reductions.

A great place to meet smart, dedicated people and learn from the best in the business.

Marketing Communications Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsUsed to have flexibility of work environment, this is what kept me working there for as long as I was there. Benefits are very good, vacation time is great, pay is above average and the people that you work with for the most part are dedicated, smart and fun to work with.

ConsToo much turmoil, new people come in from the outside with less experience and are put into roles that they are not qualified for. People are penalized for doing their jobs in some cases, i.e. raises. They have a disbursement of percentages of how many employees belong in the mid range, exceptional range and those that need improvement. Employees are forced into these categories. Hard to swallow when you know you have done an outstanding job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with the same respect and dignity that you want to be treated with. Don't assume that someone on your team is out to get your job...stop looking over your shoulder to protect yourself and take a look at your team and provide them the guidance, coaching, and praise that a great leader provides to their team. In other words, do your job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SW Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood company to work for. Good work life balance. Nice opportunities to grow

Consmanagement need to improve. more time taking and slow process to take decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have better management

Joined HP as an acquisition employee, employed as a senior manager there for 5 years.

Senior Director (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood people, low pressure work environment with a fair amount of independence and autonomy.

ConsBureaucratic and change adverse, difficult to navigate the approval chain for ability to execute on time sensitive matters. Little or no collective inertia as a company, divisions do not work well together. Company performance, management indecision, and unpredictability have resulted in a collective malaise among the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees, promote collaboration, and develop leadership with a common vision.

NA

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat culture / nice people

ConsNo clear direction. Many projects are getting canceled which results in ferment layoffs

Advice to Senior Managementget your act together

Great Company, Good Benefits,

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThis company will allow you to learn and grow and assist you towards your next career goals.

ConsIf management would listen and apply the feedback of their employees this company would be even greater. Things are slow to change and there is a lot of bureaucracy. Processes and governance needs to allow more numble and agile process changes to allow continuous delivery.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and value their input. Instead of rotating large amounts of people in and out of the company, find fits for them in other organizations. There are brilliant people all over HP and letting them go will allow other companies to grow and succeed instead of allowing HP to evolve into a game changing and innovative company.

Interesting work, but overall company is on the wrong path.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSome very good managers who care deeply about their teams and the companies.
    Interesting, sometimes cutting-edge product and project opportunities.

ConsConstant layoffs with no end in site. Lots of pressure to move jobs to offshore outsourced firms and eliminate staff in the U.S.
    The company continues to struggle for growth which impacts the overall morale and spirit of the workforce.

Hit or miss

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsLots of potential if the company does well

ConsLots of politics at Executive level

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees more fairly

Used to be a great place to work.

Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWonderful hard working people. The team work within our group was unsurpassed and led to many successes for the company.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement since the company is either in lay off mode or cost cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale within middle management was at an all time low when I left the company. The message from upper management is cut, layoff ....repeat. Makes for a dysfunctional organization.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!