Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Plano, TX

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Pretty flexible work schedules, reasonable work life balance for R&D environment(in 1040 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 620 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 173 reviews)

• 2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do(in 311 reviews)

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An ex-EDSers view of HP

Information Analyst (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsHP is a global IT corporation serving the business and public in many facets. The work environment is good but it can be very testing to the rank and file.

ConsThe Management does not seem to care about the workers. The rank and file especially, in the US, are constantly being pushed out with their positions being sent off shore. The Clients then often end up with dramatically reduced levels of support and progress resulting in the Client looking elsewhere or pulling the work inhouse which is what occurred with the Client I supported in the end. All the HP Management can see in the short term dollars to offshoring positions. To be fair EDS was doing the same thing but to a lesser extent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about thinking of your staffs, all of them not just those that work for less and produce at a lower rate resulting in Client dis-satisfaction. It wouldn't hurt to forgo a few Management level raises and passing them down to the rank and file who do the physical work.

You get to interview over and over!!!!

Applications Management I (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIt is a good model and it is good for new college graduates.

ConsThe problem with this model is that they are hiring recent college graduates with little to zero experience and then they can't place them anywhere. The employees are hired to work on outside accounts; however, they are not told that to get placed in any of these accounts, they will have to re-interview. Most of these accounts want people with plenty of experience which makes it hard for recent college graduates with no experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind accounts in which employees can be placed without the need to be interviewing for the jobs.

Hewlett Packard not what it used to be.

Software Engineer Firmware IV (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsNothing based on current upper management.

ConsUS Employees mean nothing to them. Jobs being off shored.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work in progress, but positive results are too slow, and too few.

Master Consultant (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCorporate heritage, colleagues, and benefits.

ConsManagement does not seem to know where it is headed, and lacks an understanding of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on fundamentals, results and rewards, and less rhetoric.

Absence can make the heart grow fonder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsExcellent work environment and training opportunities, good benefits, room for career advancement and continuous community involvement. I was fortunate enough to have worked with a very knowledgeable group of people who genuinely cared about and supported each other.

ConsThe performance management philosophy can change depending on who is in charge; that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople leave because of bad managers so train your managers well immediately upon their move into the role and hold them accountable.

Roller-Coaster Ride

Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWithin HP it is rewarding to know some very knowledgeable people and to work on a daily basis with senior, tenured, mature technologists. The people make it worth working here. Once you get used to how the company is structured and how to find resources, this environment can be fun.

ConsThere are so many processes and procedures for everything that creative thinking is stifled by the bureaucracy. Leading thought is only allowed from the top, and deviating from standards is examined by multiple management types who are ready to put a note in your HR File at a given moment. The red tape can be demoralizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees the trust to do the right thing. They will live up to your expectations, if you don't swamp them with so many reporting systems and procedures that they want to give up. Be encouraging, positive, and rewarding in your culture; make HP fun to work at again!

6 years at HP...one of the best companies I've worked for!

Program Manager (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsLots of opportunities, good managers who are mentored into being even better managers, good compensation and great benefits, many resources available to employees.

ConsBig company so you can get lost in the fray unless you've got a supportive manager who is willing to guide you. If you don't become one of the 'chosen' it becomes more difficult to advance even if you're a great employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on appreciating seasoned employees. Increase visibility of training opportunities to new employees.

Time to Go

Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsNot sure that other than a paycheck there are a lot of pros.

ConsTired of being threatened by layoffs constantly, and management not being truthful

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more real with the employees. Management continues to get bonuses and perks, and the rest of us get lies.

Great technical people, bad mid-layer and high-layer managements.

Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsBig name and stable customers and market. Great work environment.

ConsManagement is messed up. Not working from home policy is driving people crazy and showing some desperation from the management layer.

Great people, but dysfunctional company at times

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGreat flexibility with work/life.
    Great people to work with in all areas (I had positive experiences in 3 different groups over 4 years)
    Provides the opportunity to work in more areas of the business than most companies can offer
    Great name to have on the resume

ConsVery unorganized at times
    Little formal training when starting a new job
    The pay scale is not good, so if you start low you will remain low unless you make a jump to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees more for the work they do. They keep the wheels turning.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!