Hewlett-Packard Reviews

Reset
2.9
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
  • work/life balance - they are flexible in working from home & working around your appointments/arrangements (in 1209 reviews)

• allow work from home from time to time (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not so great (in 211 reviews)

• New senior management is once again being hired from outside rather than being developed from within (in 319 reviews)

1. good company

Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

As an intern from Switzerland I'm really glad they hired me. It's a great opportunity for me to gain some international experience.

Cons

As in every big company you have to look out that you don't drown in the mass.

Advice to Management

none

2. The giant tech beast of HP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global, nice office, good development options, strong senior HR leadership

Cons

Slow, too big, approval heavy, messy matrix, frustrating policies

3. Program Project Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, many roles, many countries

Cons

We are not allowed to share any opinions

5. Decent Big Name Company -

Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here for about 4 years now. Overall a well meaning company with a good flexible policy. Huge name recognition which is valuable for your resume. Just about everyone on my level (individual - not director or manager) willing to help you with a smile and a good attitude. Good salary for entry level grads and those that need to start but this is a typical stepping stone company.

Cons

Quite a few problems unfortunately:
    Bad leadership: managers are frozen, only care about numbers, and have very little actual authority to say yes, only no.

People: layed off so many people that whoever is left is basically drowning on the work that was left behind. Tons of new initiatives that are being floated, but without the people to actually commit to doing these things, they're talked about for months then eventually just die

Culture: Really sad overall morale. Again, so many layoffs everyone is feeling like they are next so what's the point of working hard or trying? No fun stuff planned for employees like most other places. Our company holiday party was at a bar across the street and about 40 people attended. FYI the site has about 5K employees total. Nobody shows up to work, (work from home) being younger I need a strong office culture to keep me motivated.

Salary: starting off is competitive but then come the 1.5% annual raises and insulting year end bonuses. No bueno.

You're on your own: everything you do is self serve, without any structure, and completely independant. there are literally 20 different ways to do everything. I once started a very sizable project, worked on it for a year, and then realized that there was the exact same thing being done in a separate HP group, and both sides committed endless amounts of time and money to it. In the end the project got cancelled. So yeah, nice little example of the type of day to day life HP offers.

Advice to Management

Make decisions and stick to them. When you make a decision and reverse course less than a year later, it shows y'all have no true direction

Stop with all the re-orgs, ridiculous how many different bosses i've had in four years with the company (around seven)

6. EDS was a great place to work... then things changed

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in Plano, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good base salary and benefits

Cons

Variable compensation changed -- not for the better

HP

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some work from home, great team, friendly people. You can normally find a different position doing something else if you want.

Cons

HP does not care about their people or customers. They are getting rid of most onshore network positions and back filling with India or Costa Rica.

Don't look for a promotion because only friends of mgt get promoted.

HP stands for half pay.

Meetings can start at 6:30am and the last one might not be until 8:00pm. Many of days with no lunch breaks due to meetings.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Meg

ITO Service Delivery Consultant IV

Current Employee - Service Delivery Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours with the option to work from home about 50% of the time.

Cons

Uneven work load. Either extremely busy, or bored to tears. Few learning opportunities either through training or on the job.

9. HP - EDS

Former Employee - Finance in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Plano, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intelligent, ethical and great people from the EDS and HP side. (HP bought EDS in 2008)

Cons

HP split into two company this November 1, 2015 may provide instability in keeping customers and employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up to date with HP strategic direction.

10. Engineer responsible for training new team and network hardware and or OS upgrades.

Former Contractor - Lead Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Lead Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leading-edge technology company with a plethora of avenues you can take to build a career. Professional atmosphere and you will never be bored.

Cons

Very heavy process burden on technical staff. There is a process for almost everything but you have to dig for details. Some process overlap and some simply do not make sense for a fast paced environment. The company is about to split so there will be some rough times ahead in the near future. A lot of technical jobs are going off-shore at this moment.

Advice to Management

Build an End-to-End online based change request engine (standardized globally or at least per country as law permits) to eliminate duplicated effort (and mistakes / delays) when requests are handed off from one responsible group to another. Create a management dashboard for the process engine with notification options that can be tweaked to the individuals needs. Then hold responsible groups/individuals accountable if they cause delays or complete re-engineering efforts. An engineer should not have to start all over because someone else drops the ball. This happens all the time.

Great! My manager was great!

Current Contractor - IT Developer/Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Contractor - IT Developer/Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Telecommute 3 days & into the office 2 days/ week. Work hard & smart. GREAT Technology !!!
    By the way, our team met or beat every goal we had with this model (:

Cons

The real estate team was called into action later on to physically count who sat at their desks, and how many days / week. Really? What could they possibly know about our work or jobs???

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you have to look at the back of someone's head to be able to manage them. You sent 40% of the jobs to India. Are you going over there just to look at the back of their heads?

Showing 168 of 11,047 reviews