Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Pontiac, MI

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Experience is top notch; Pay isn't competitive

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

Pros-Great work experience: this was my first job out of college
    -Job flexibility: even though work from home has been scaled back

Cons-Pay

Really, the only aspect of HP that drove me nuts was the compensation. I accepted an offer 20% under market value for my position (I needed a job out of college...). In 3 years time, I only received one raise to the equivalent of $1,000 with a couple bonuses mixed in here and there. Most others on the team didn't receive any raises during that time. I recently accepted another job that bumped me up 62% in pay.....to help me reach my market value. That is how poorly HP was paying me...

Also, due to the recent workforce reductions, HR fights to the death any kind of promotion and/or raise attempts by managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying people what every....other....company.....pays.

Good learning opportunity

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

Proswonderful working atmosphere and good learning opportunity

ConsI'm a contractor...not sure if there's a possibility to become permanent

Hewlett-Packard Talent Acquisition - Digital Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

We absolutely hire contractors as HP employees - IF the role is open for permanent hires. We suggest you speak with your agency and your HP Manager, to express your interest! Thank you for sharing ... More

Find another job at your job to keep your job, or you'll be jobless.

Services Information Developer (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

Pros- Flexible schedules with the opportunity to work from home was VERY nice.
    - Decent pay for an "entry level" position.
    - In-house cafeteria has a great staff and good food.

Cons- Nosy coworkers like to spread rumors and talk too loud while spreading those rumors.
    - Ever-present threat of losing your job if your contract is short/doesn't renew, or it takes you too long to find a company to hire you (find a job at your job).
    - Managers tend to listen to gossip and then do their own gossiping. They may even call your parents to tattle on you if they are too engrossed within that gossip and have no desire to learn the truth.
    - Little to no room for promotions or raises

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to :
    - Become more familiar with HR, State, and Federal laws regarding employee privacy
    - Play a bigger role in the placement of employees and not ignore assistance requests
    - Assist employees in creating goals for themselves and take an active role in getting them additional training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is going down the drain

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsAmount of vacation time is nice but that is it.

ConsLeadership has no idea what goes on beneath them, pay is terrible, when you do get paid- payroll frequently messes up paychecks, technology is outdated which is horrible considering who you are working for. Managers also frequently "hide" client complaints or problems from upper management which causes loss of business and respect. I haven't seen any sign of professionalism since working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what's going on in your organizations. Guarantee something is being hidden from you and your losing business. Most of your managers do nothing all day. Take a closer look at your Pontiac, MI site.

a stepping stone

Helpdesk Technician (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsGood learning experience. Friendly environment.

ConsLow pay. Contractor and direct hire make around 13/hr. No raises. System tools constantly down.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for fair pay with raises. No one wants to work for a company where they no they are not valed, receive low pay with no raises and have no advancement.

Hewlett Packard is a reasonable place to be for middle of the road employees.

Technical Consultant V (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsTons of lateral movement possible and huge online training options.

ConsThey are not interested in retaining top employees and their salaries and raise policies push this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn technical fields a top employee can be worth multiple lesser ones. You should work to retain them instead of pushing your top minds out the door.

Process Support Specialist as a contractor for HP

Process Specialist (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsWork from home as needed.

ConsWorking as a contract for three years for HP through Manpower. I received very little training or support when I first started. I have no vacation time, never received a performance review or a raise. Absolutely zero possibility of advancement or hiring on to be an HP employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer personal growth opportunities to contractors similar to what actual HP employees receive. Give us a reason to care about HP and the future.

HP is continuing to enhance it's performance.

Manager (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsA great team of people with abundant technical expertise. Lots of training opportunities for employees. Provides employees the flexibility to work remotely (of course based on business requirements)

ConsLots of focus on the bottom line while not enough focus on acknowledgment of employees contributions (from a compensation perspective). Employees constantly worrying about what is the next assignment so they can stay employed.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees that you 'really' care about them and their well being.

Mostly positive experience

Change Management Communications (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsGenerally good career opportunities. Good culture & environment. Benefits were solid. Time off policy was on par with similar companies.

Consvery difficult to get salary increases.

Good before the crash.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsAbove average salary and decent benefits. Work was fun and you personally felt part of something important and relevant.

ConsWas a good place to work before the downsizing began. Employee morale is now at a new low and additionally "work-at-homes" are being pulled back in the office... not too long after they were told to work from home. The company functions like a drifting ship with no rudder. Management does not know how to get back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people... GOOD people. The manager should actually make the effort to help employees succeed instead of just going through the motions just to achieve their goals and objectives. A well running team that feels supported by their manager will excel and do whatever they can to make the manager appear impressive to his management chain. A manger that is too self-absorbed to care about the team will not get much dedication from the team.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!