Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place with friendly people

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

Prosflexible, no dress code, nice people

Consnothing so far, lack of seating

Hewlett-Packard Talent Acquisition - Digital Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for sharing this! Great to read that you are happy at HP!

Loved it while it lasted

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsAll my workmates were great people

ConsUpper management did not know what to do with us, so they let us go

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more innovative

R&D mechanical engineer

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsGreat people, relaxed environment and capability of trying new things

Consmanagement team is not very ambitious and cost reduction is very critical everywhere

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent employer

Mechanical Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsGreat atmosphere, focus on diversity, moving up is encouraged.

Consnone so far. very easy to work for. good work life balance. i havent looked at benefits yet though

Advice to Senior ManagementI haven't had any issues.

Not the best internship

Software Development Intern (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsAs an intern, there were always other on the team I was assigned to willing to help me learn the ropes and figure things out. Everyone was very helpful and easy to work with.

ConsI never got to work on any meaningful projects (not surprising as an intern) and if I didn't accomplish anything it didn't matter because no one seemed to care about the pace I worked.

Overall a good place to work

Account Business Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFlexible work schedules, ability to work from home, although they are tightening up rules around that now in 2014. Lots of career opportunity. There are so many opportunities avilable to you once you get here. Management does really seem to care about their people.

ConsGet in at the highest salary you can. Once you get here, it's hard to get any kind of a major increase even with a promotion. They really only do small increases for promotions and even smaller (right now anyway) for end of the year/performance reviews. Don't be afraid to ask for higher than what you think they'll pay. The least they'll do is say 'we can't pay that, but we can pay.....' and then they'll tell you the highest they can go.

Great legacy

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsThe HP way values still influence how employees are treated in a positive way to encourage trust and respect, innovation, quality of work and accomplishment.

ConsThe company is struggling with it's identity and future vision, with meaningful innovation, and with leadership team effectiveness.

Big & slow but still great people

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsVery nice people who want to collaborate to make things better. Flexible work hours and good work-life balance. Good benefits and some rewards.

ConsMany managers are only focused up, wanting to look good and just deliver 'results' but don't spend time working with team members to understand problems and build teamwork. Huge bureaucratic hurdles to get simple things done in a highly centralized and standardized, but inflexible and sometimes broken processes and tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut employees first (like Bill and Dave did) and success will follow, not the other way around. Focusing on developing a strategy of being the biggest and the best without investing your time, effort and money in your employees is like wanting to go to the moon without investing in rocket fuel.

my team and customers made the job

Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

Prosgood benefits, great group of people within service group, opportunity to meet many different types of people and see different parts of the country

Consextremely long hours, lack of knowledge of what the customer facing teams are working against, upper management is out of touch with service challenges, no loyalty to employees

Advice to Senior Managementquit treating your employees as just a cost against the bottom line and show some compassion for the one's that really do the work

No pressure but no rewards

Information Analyst II (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsWith how scattered management is, you don't have to do too much.
    Easy to work from home with and they don't have much in place to monitor you.
    Most people don't work very hard for the company so it's easy to get more responsibility.

ConsWhile you can get more responsibility, you won't get rewarded for it.
    My division was in a pay freeze for 3 years, in that time I received 2 promotions with no increase in pay/benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top workers, not your long time workers.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!