Hewlett-Packard Reviews

Reset
3.8
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
  • work/life balance - they are flexible in working from home & working around your appointments/arrangements (in 1209 reviews)

• allow work from home from time to time (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not so great (in 211 reviews)

• New senior management is once again being hired from outside rather than being developed from within (in 319 reviews)

1. Great Growth Opportunities, Not very Competitive.

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expert knoweldge in this company and it people in the Enterprise Services community. They taught me so much and gives a great work/life balance and opportunities to learn.

Cons

Because the company is so big, not many opportunities to be promoted and get a legit salary raise (above normal cost-of-living merit) even if your work exseed expectations.

2. Great company

Current Contractor - Ops Lead in Vancouver, WA
    Current Contractor - Ops Lead in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people, benefits and compensation and a good work/life balance.

Cons

Cut-backs happen more often than not.

Advice to Management

Try not to over-load employees by wearing too many hats, resulting in less than the highest standard of work.

A mixed bag. More rotten than rad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good, helpful people. In general you will really enjoy your co-workers.

Cons

Management is chickens#&t and have no voice against the senior leadership. It is run as a dick-tatorship. Lower management is scared to death to say no to upper mgmt. or to tell them the truth about HR polices, portfolio, or project schedules and the ridiculous pace at which they make their workforce execute.

Advice to Management

Stop being a55holes. Don't put down dissenting voices.

5. Generally Good

Former Employee - Mechanical RnD Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical RnD Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The engineers at HP collaborate well and create a positive work environment.

Cons

Employee cuts and rating systems reduce morale and decrease productivity.

Advice to Management

Connect with your engineers and push back against upper management when they ask you to enforce decisions that don't make sense.

6. No where is perfect

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, really neat problems to solve. Despite the issues, it was a very positive work environment.

Cons

You are packed in like sardines. In 12 months I had 4 desks. Programs are put on hold, taken off hold, sped up, and put back on hold on a weekly basis. There appear to be virtually no processes whatsoever. If you don't thrive on chaos, stay away. HP will eat you up if you cannot create your own work-life balance. I quite literally had three jobs I was supposed to be doing, and I was just supposed to figure out what the critical parts of each job were and get that done. My situation was not unique. It was bananas. Some of the long-timers there work crazy-insane hours.

Advice to Management

Knock it off with the herky-jerky, it makes it look like you have no idea what the hell you are doing. Stop! Go as fast as you can! Drop everything and work on this! What!

7. Living the HP way

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun work, great local management, great place for women to work

Cons

This site is too small, so we are crammed in, but they are working on it. HR burocracy. Still doing rating yearly.

8. R&D Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Vancouver, WA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard as an intern

Pros

Co-workers are more than willing to mentor. You are given real challenging projects with enough autonomy to be creative.

Cons

Managers impression of you is all that matters as far as your evaluation, impress him/her if you want to succeed.

Good working environment, but a pretty stagnant company with a lot of middle management resistant to change

Current Employee - Software Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very relaxed culture (for the most part) with truly flexible time. It's a great place to start at a reasonable pace if one needs that ease into a more productive routine. There are interesting projects that pop up from time to time. And generally the people are good to work with. Certain areas of responsibility are really understaffed, so there is opportunity to make an impact or just learn something new.

Cons

HP's 2 main problem in my opinion are employee compensation and opportunities for promotion. It is clear that the company is way past its prime at this point and it has been struggling for a few years to define who it wants to be. So there is bit of this false sense of hope inside that the company is "innovative". Every new VP pays lip service to the "innovation" portion of their speech checklist, but in reality they get quickly bogged down with the reality of they existing business. The stagnant salaries and compensation packages have made a lot of very good people leave.

Advice to Management

This is a hard one as HP is so big at this point and may not have the chops to reinvent itself. But I guess first thing is stop acquiring large companies and hoping for some magically smooth integration. Invest those dollars into internal programs if possible. Start moving toward employee driven decision making as opposed to seemingly everything coming from the top down. Reduce the scope of the company.

HP-Employee Friendly

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Employee Friendly -Good Wages -Good Managers So far I have enjoyed working at HP.

Cons

-Contractor / Employee Divide -Budget Restrictions (understandable, but frustrating) -Hiring Process (Slow) So far I have enjoyed working at HP.

Good stable company

Current Employee - Firmware Quality Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Firmware Quality Engineer in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Company seems to be fairly stable Decent pay Good culture

Cons

Raises Lacking Management can still feel a bit too removed

Advice to Management

Start using your money like your a top competitor, don't compare yourself against the industry average (inasmuch to be average)

Showing 123 of 11,839 reviews