Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(2,620 ratings)

7,557 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance, though employees have been asked to report to offices now"
    in 934 reviews
  • "Flexibility is excellent and you can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done"
    in 580 reviews
Cons:
  • "This allowed for a reasonable work/life balance (to which much lip-service HP pays)"
    in 146 reviews
  • "Could not get a straight answer out of any senior management of the future of the division"
    in 293 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sinking Ship

Research Engineer (Former Employee)
Corvallis, OR

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

ProsVery decent facilities. Beautiful campus. World class analytical lab. An extremely unique oasis for very expensive, high risk research. It was a pleasure working there.

ConsThere was simply too little work for the number of engineers that were working there. The quality of research that was taking place was decent, but I definitely felt that we were playing for too long in the sandbox.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more rigorous technical review of the results being published by the engineers. Or at the least, more emphasis on integration of the technologies into something useful. Doing R&D at the time I was there was too 'anything goes'.

Good before the crash.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbove average salary and decent benefits. Work was fun and you personally felt part of something important and relevant.

ConsWas a good place to work before the downsizing began. Employee morale is now at a new low and additionally "work-at-homes" are being pulled back in the office... not too long after they were told to work from home. The company functions like a drifting ship with no rudder. Management does not know how to get back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people... GOOD people. The manager should actually make the effort to help employees succeed instead of just going through the motions just to achieve their goals and objectives. A well running team that feels supported by their manager will excel and do whatever they can to make the manager appear impressive to his management chain. A manger that is too self-absorbed to care about the team will not get much dedication from the team.

On the right track.

Business Analyst III (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood training opportunities. Great people to work with.

ConsNot much room for advancement. With such a large employee base you can sometimes feel like another number.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the turn around going. Continue focus on recognition and rewards.

Technology Consultant

Technology Consultant IV (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. Great benefits.

ConsI don't find any cons working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great people, I love my work

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Seaside, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm surrounded by intelligent and unique people who contribute and care very much about the quality of their work. I have flexibility in my schedule. I have freedom to dictate how my applications evolve and I can innovate within certain constraints. I learn something new nearly everyday about the enterprise and the people with whom I work. I'm able to interact with others in a team setting that motivates me and makes me feel supported.

ConsThere is only so much room to grow because this is a specific project for HP with the government and positions are few. Also, the technology is very stable and therefore old.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a fine job. Just stop in and say hi to those who are twice-removed from your immediate purview. It makes us feel important. :)

Review of HP

Tech Engineer (Former Employee)
Paramus, NJ

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAllowed telecommuting; decent benefits package; great co-workers

ConsToo much corporate lying; could have done without the quarterly meetings...too "high-school prep rally"ish and a really ridiculous waste of valuable time

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell employees how great and important they are and then follow it by telling them that their benefits are being cut...especially in order to "...align with industry practices."

Great place to work and learn

Product Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome really top notch people here. Can learn a great deal if you seek out the right opty.

Conshp is a big ship. its not always quick to turn

Advice to Senior Managementstay committed to the turn-around and the rich history and culture built by bill and dave!

On balance, definitely "OK" but not great

Automation Engineer (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsGood culture, reasonable boss, decent benefits

ConsNot a high-flyer and you're not going to get rich overnight.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture employee-friendly and I'll stay forever.

Fits and starts

Engineer (Current Employee)
Boise, ID

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent pay, flexible hours but a lot of time is expected of you.

ConsGenerally it's a great place to work but clearly the dollar is king at this company. The company doesn't care about it's employees and even less about it's customers. HP has said publically that 34000 US employees will loose their jobs in 2013 and 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on new product innovation and design. Start worrying about what the customer wants and less about the bottom line. Eventually the bottom line will take care of itself. Pay attention to the employees you have on staff. Resources are wasted from people who "work from home" on HP resources. Good employees have been "let go" because of the decisions of bad employees. This is a pattern I've seen over and over.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Usability Engineer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

ProsAt HP, your contributions are valued, good teamwork, focused on helping you develop your career path, great benefits, and competitive salary.. recent changes with the turnaround is making this matter to many people and the future of the company

ConsOld ways of doing things are hard to redefine, employees resistant to change makes adaptability to new methods and moving forward difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course for making it matter, assimilate the borgs, reward employees where deserved, get rid of the political mess and people-smashing ladder runners, hire knowledge, common sense, high integrity, and high ethics

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 7,557 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.