Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,006 ratings)

8,216 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance, though employees have been asked to report to offices now"
    in 979 reviews
  • "Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done"
    in 594 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night"
    in 157 reviews
  • "2 - Senior management doesn't listen to employees' concern even though they say to do"
    in 301 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Draining

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSmart people, the products coming out are very promising. There are good opportunities to move around both to different cities and also different business groups or different types of jobs.

ConsConstant issues, need to move from transformation to steady state, benefits going down...now they want employees to go back to an office even if you don't work with anyone in that office and are acting like big brother tracking if you go in every day. One step away from putting time card punching back in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees more vs assuming they aren't working hard. If they aren't have managers make the change and hold them accountable. Don't say we need to work more together and then take travel away.

Premier LoadRunner and Performance Center Support engineer for named accounts.

Technical Solutions Consultant III (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLoadRunner is a good product supporting a huge number of protocols and being in the Support team provides a good learning experience and opportunity to work on different protocols.

ConsThere is no hiring done in USA and no stability for US engineers since HP is moving support jobs to Costa Rica

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good if you are lucky enough to have perks, but these are few and far between... culture needs major makeover

Worldwide PR Manager (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsHands down the people, at least on my team and the teams I worked with. Incredibly smart, sweet, gifted people at what they did. With some exceptions (notably my last manager), everyone seemed to genuinely care about one another. Also, the scale of the company means that budgets are a little bigger than at smaller companies, which gives more room for creative campaigns-- if they make it through approvals. I had a pretty unique experience and got to travel a lot and interact with all different executive levels (all the way up to Meg), so those were high points; I am pretty sure this is not typical.

ConsToo much bureaucracy in too many areas; sheer scale of the company makes it difficult to get things through approvals. Company culture was severely lacking in ways to keep employees motivated and happy-- I was never made to feel valued or cared about by the company itself, just by my boss and my team. Prevalence of cynicism about the company's direction and products made it hard to care deeply about anything. Executive management seemed out of touch at times with the reality of what we were working on. Lack of transportation from San Francisco to the South Bay makes it seem out of touch with the reality of Silicon Valley these days-- talent lives in the city and no one wants to commute 100 miles a day (which I did for 4 years).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together on employee culture and spend the money it takes to provide basics like decent coffee and free soda. It is the little things (that are totally normal at EVERY other tech company in the Valley) that make it just a little bit nicer to go into work. Feeling underappreciated all the time is a guaranteed catalyst to killing retention rates-- no one wants to stay where they do not feel like they matter. And, transparency is key-- open communication about where the company is going is crucial to keep employees feeling like they are actually a part of something. Taking it back to Bill and Dave days (at least from what I heard from older colleagues) should be a huge goal.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outsourcing and cost cutting

ProsThe pay and benefits package is competitive. In some roles there is a good work life balance if you have counterparts in other regions who can assume responsibility outside of your regions working hours. There are programs to develop employees though they are being cut back.

ConsBusiness decisions don't reflect the publicized company values. Big cost cutting efforts and outsourcing at the expense of the customer experience makes working in support difficult and stressful. Multi-year work force reduction program ongoing.

Gone are the glory days

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBig company, brand recognition, large market share in printers, normally great peers, global company

ConsDeclining market, workforce reductions, lots of reorg's, getting very centralized, lots of cost cutting over the past 5 yrs to the point of can't order office supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess Sr. Exec, give employees more ownership. Figure out the org and stop changing things....just when employees get in a groove everything changes again.

Great people to work with

IT Engineer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsI enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

ConsManagement constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

A great place to meet smart, dedicated people and learn from the best in the business.

Marketing Communications Manager (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsUsed to have flexibility of work environment, this is what kept me working there for as long as I was there. Benefits are very good, vacation time is great, pay is above average and the people that you work with for the most part are dedicated, smart and fun to work with.

ConsToo much turmoil, new people come in from the outside with less experience and are put into roles that they are not qualified for. People are penalized for doing their jobs in some cases, i.e. raises. They have a disbursement of percentages of how many employees belong in the mid range, exceptional range and those that need improvement. Employees are forced into these categories. Hard to swallow when you know you have done an outstanding job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with the same respect and dignity that you want to be treated with. Don't assume that someone on your team is out to get your job...stop looking over your shoulder to protect yourself and take a look at your team and provide them the guidance, coaching, and praise that a great leader provides to their team. In other words, do your job.

Once Great Company is Struggling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great. The benefits are good. There is plenty of challenging work.

ConsThe company is top heavy with management. It has a heavy layer of bureaucracy and politics. While the company is making herculean effort to turn around, it is faced with strong competition. The company has no choice but to down size and thus there is little job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate layers of bureaucracy. Complete the work force reductions quickly so the remaining employees don't need to worry.

Old processes in a new world

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsRespect for the employee, culture, values and way to conduct business. HP is a great school where you can learn almost everything (from technology to business). Work from home (while last)

ConsConstant budgetary cuts will lead to disaster. Tons of internal unproductive meetings are a waste of time. Too many people doing similar things and old bureaucratic processes. You will become the master of Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook since there are no other tools.

Advice to Senior Management2% annual salary increase (if anything) is a slap in the face.

Potential, but still lacking

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMajority of employees are great to work with

Mid management works hard to support employees

Many different roles available

ConsBenefits are decreasing

Lack of trust that employees will do the right thing

Very HP centric, still not customer centric - difficult to navigate both internally and externally

New career opportunities are hard to come by and if you do get a promotion you will not get an equitable increase in pay

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul HR - you should not disregard internal talent and pay internal employees less than an external candidate

Do not take away work from home, this mantra of "we are losing productivity allowing people to work from home" is just not true. I have done both and I see a much larger productivity decrease in the office than I do with those that work from home. Just because you can't physically see the person, does not mean they are not productive.

Truly support career growth, that does not mean providing generic online training and mentor forums. Really develop people. Provide opportunities to expand career.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 8,216 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.