Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,369 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,088 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry(in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done(in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night(in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are(in 313 reviews)

8,369 Employee Reviews

Excellent and helpful.

Applications Packaging (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsHP being the Global leader have every type of advantage. It take care of all facilities of employee. Work pressure is very justified. Work culture is very good. Chain management system is wonderful. Company work flow process is really very good. This is my dream company. Resource is very good. I love to work here. Management is very good.

ConsManagement is not concerned about carrier growth for employers. Salary hike is very low in such a big MNC. Salary is only the main concern. Onsite opportunities are very low. Number of branches in India should increase so more opportunities should come.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care of employee.

Big company, good and bad can be found anywhere

Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsThere are always opportunities to work on cutting-edge projects and develop new skills. Being such a big company you can obtain a rather broad set of experiences to help grow your career. The key is you will have to own your career and be opportunistic, nothing will be handed to you.

ConsWhen you find yourself in a great part of HP it can be awesome. However, when you find yourself working in a failing business unit or under a bad manager(s), it can be really bad. Below the executive level, people don't move up or around too often so the onus is on you to get yourself out of a bad situation. The company moves very slowly except when it comes to workforce reductions. Only patient people should apply. Raises are hard to come by and you have to negotiate hard when you come into the company or take a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on competitive salaries. Too many talented people walk out the door with their only complaint being compensation.

Business Analyst within Supply Chain Operations

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsPretty laid back. Direct Managers are fair to their employees. Good benefits.

ConsSome verbal employee recognition on jobs well done, but very little financial recognition. The Working from Home benefit has been revoked by Upper Management and this has blown up in their face.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees be more productive by Working from Home. Saves time and money for employee and is quite motivating in a very faced paced industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Storage Architect (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe company is working on doing great things in technology. There is so much happening here.

ConsMoving around internally is a matter of who you know. It's pointless to apply for a position if you don't know the hiring manager. They would rather go external.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your internal applicants. When they apply for a job they deserve your attention.

Hewlett-Packard Talent Acquisition - Digital Media Manager responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are always promoting from within and have an excellent internal mobility site that can help you and all employees with making the transition. Be sure to check ... More

QA

ProsHike, remote working, leaves, raise

Consdo not process green card, in eb1 category, having remote working not allowed

Company

ProsGreat culture and processes. Good Management , staff . Good Projects

ConsCan get lost in the crowd as company is huge

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young crowd

Excellent

ProsGreat people and management to work with. Excellent work environment

ConsDont like working 2nd Shift

Great with good work/life balance

Network/Storage (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLife/work balance is good. My manager is really nice and rewards his employees with dinners for their hard work. There are health plans available. Holidays are paid time off.

ConsIt takes a while to transition into HP. I was not able to login into HP corporate network until a week after I was hired. That was my only negative experience.

Project/Program Manager

ProsVery diverse in opportunities that are available. Clients are always demanding and HP steps up to the task of meeting and exceeding their expectations. Most individuals are very hard working and do a great job.

ConsVery large and can be bureaucratic. Too many manager in the chain of command that are disconnected with the work. Individuals can get lost in the shuffle between opportunities if not well networked because span of control at the lowest levels of management can be very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and empower your mid level leaders to do the right thing and make the right decisions. Stop second guessing their judgments and opinions. This process causes too much rework and expense.

Great people to work with

IT Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

ConsManagement constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!