Hewlett-Packard

9,467 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,687 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

R&D Porto Alegre

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cool projects with innovative technologies and good people.

Cons

Bad work environment and salaries.

HP has good benefits and opportunity for growth within its Enterprise businesses

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Storage (Enterprise) has many connections with the Network business in HP and these interactive dependencies create opportunity for skill expansion and professional growth.

Cons

HP's current senior management is attempting to thin out the older staff in favor of young resources because they are cheaper to maintain. This creates a negative environment and lack of mentoring resources. While the company can definitely benefit from infusion of fresh talent this "weeding out" trend has been seen in HP before and it ended up hurting the product and service delivery quality.

The most accepting LGBT company I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

having a world class organization be able to financially back you make this company worth working for

Cons

unfortunately the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing and in this case that mixed with the red tape in order to get any small project accomplished makes it a difficult place to work

if the company would spend a little more time trying to truly understand the project before starting implementation of the projects the dollars could stretch a lot farther

Account Representative

Current Employee - Account Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very GREAT company to work for, great benefits!!

Cons

have to be a road warrior!

Good people, tring to change

Current Employee - SQA III in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - SQA III in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment with very motivated intelligent colleges. There is a good management style in the area I work which is very human in it's outlook. A better work/life balance than I have experienced in many places. There is a real push to embrace Open Source and some push toward agile methods but the agility is hampered by size, geography, and the need to re-train management in its principles.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be a bit of 'drift' or loss of direction. It can tke long periods of time to reach a decision on matters. Sometimes there is a sense that management does not know what to do with the talent it has. Salaries are lagging. Need a better definition of what the company really is, a vision. There is an inherent impedance between Agile development geographic distance. Try to get project teams to be less widely flung.

Embrace the roots of the company and a commitment to quality. Work to understand Agile methods and how to get closer to the customers. Learn Agile and continue to embrace Open Source. Know the customer and help the programmers, QA, and others get to know the customer better.

Great company

Current Employee - Research Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good pay and relocation for interns.

Cons

Big company, complicated management process.

Decent Company..

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Remote work environment, work hours were great!

Cons

Management seemed detached and unwilling to listen to input from front line employees. Employees were asked to review themselves due to the lack of interaction with their actual managers which in my view doesn't help anyone. They ended up laying off strong workers and keeping sub-par performers.

If you have subordinates, please assess them honestly yourself so they will know what their strengths and weaknesses are from your point of view.

Good Place to work overall

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a lot of new products and initiatives that change from time to time. That is a good thing in technology. The benefits are good but nothing great. The people around you are usually good and fun to work with. You can study or learn other departments through lots of training and self-study.

Cons

It is hard to say, but moving around within HP seems to be more difficult and political to some degree. Over thought processes and lack of fostering new leaders is a big downside that needs to change.

Look at growing the next level of leadership. Fully utilize the talent around you before looking outside the walls for filling positions.

Lots of interesting stuff

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer V in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer V in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, Good work culture, friendly colleagues, lots of innovation across the company.

Cons

All the cons associated with large companies. Lots of processes. Needs to become agile for quicker project turnarounds and be able to innovate in a competitive industry.

- Continue emphasis on innovation.
    - Bring in more scientists, inventors on-board. HP has potential to redefine technology.
    - Make right acquisitions.

Hewlett Packard provided me with great opportunities!

Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Program Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I enjoyed working at HP because of the culture and team environment. My managers gave me room to get work done by removing barriers and NOT micro-managing my work. I was able to reach outside my comfort zone and try new opportunities for growth.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on 'this is the way we have always done things'. I found this was the biggest barrier to implementing improvements and moving forward with new ideas.