Hewlett-Packard

9,056 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,465 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1156 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 656 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 200 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 317 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A company with many opportunities. If you value your own career development, this is a nice place to be. You may find so many different roles, industries, solutions and countries as you wish.

Cons

Complex hierarchy; complex (some are actually insane) processes.If you need a career plan established by HR, this may not be a good place for you.

Reduce some VP levels, consolidate BUs, empower lower management, provide more efficient tools for business administration

Direction - We don't need No Direction

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A strong customer base waiting to see some technology leadership and true business partnering.

Cons

HP management still, after 24 months of lay-off and false starts of renewing their culture and direction, has not figured it out and no one is emerging to take a leadership role.

I think you need to find a strong industry business leader who wants to dominate the market. Taking shots at silo solution and technology areas does not demonstrate the corporate culture of a true industry leader. No one has the vision and demonstrated execution experience to dominate the market over the next 2-5 years. HP seems to keep losing customer confidence evidenced by many rip and replace of HP products.

Good but corporate

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Pay can be good as are the people

Cons

Corporate beuravracy abounds at most times

Innovate

Good company

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Great company to start off with

Cons

Must leave the service desk department to advance within HP

It has been nothing short of amazing!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is super friendly and almost everyone is willing to help. You can speak to the CEO down to the cleaning people without feeling intimidated. It has amazing opportunities if you know where to look.

Cons

There is always going to be workplace politics, and unfortunately there is that here.

I found the job very professional and I enjoyed the experience.

Current Employee - Media Handler in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Media Handler in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel I can add greatly t the company's proficiency and reputation, by giving my 20 year experience and service.

Cons

I have work there before once, on a contract.

I have learned a lot since then and I feel I can do very god at this job.

My experience with HP has been awesome!

Current Employee - IT Intern in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Conway, AR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard part-time (less than an year)

Pros

environment, pay, hours, distance, facilities

Cons

remote managers, training, competition, uncertainty

Really a wonderland for budding MBA leaders

Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great projects as a HP Intern. You can really learn a lot about applying your academics here.
    Be proactive and you will flourish. Superb mentors and supportive bosses especially HP Lifers who know the company inside -out.

Cons

A big machine. Hopefully the HP split will resolve the bureaucracy and the processes to move into a more agile organization .
    Your parent ' Google or Facebook' firm. Needs to revitalize its product lines and move from the commodity status

Balance employee expectations with strategic vision. It appears as if every CEO is looking at HP as a testing ground and launching pad for future careers.
    Solidity at top is the need of the hour.

Great Opportunities

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the training and tech exposure. Excellent guidance and career development potential. Challenging opportunities to excel.

Cons

Unforgiving missed work policy. Had a three consecutive day missed work policy that I hit due to a service connected injury that had me immobile on the floor of my home for three days with a fourth day of recuperation. I got an automated phone call that I was no longer employed even though I called in every day and was a top performer. It didn't matter. That is a destructive policy and needs to be revisited.

Consider circumstances and be flexible when an employee misses work. Lost a great job at HP because of a service connected injury that had me out for four days.

Good pay / benefits and good work / life balance. Colleagues were great until they, too, got restructured out of a job.

Former Employee - IT Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - IT Technical Consultant

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and great colleagues, even if they are spread across the globe. Good work / life balance exists, but you have to be disciplined with a 24x7 service delivery organization and offshore colleagues working different time zones.

Cons

Lots of management reshuffling and churn at the top, which results in continuous reorganization. The enterprise services business struggles with lackluster management and thin margins, which means ongoing offshoring and little chance for making financial goals and a bonus. Billions of dollars were wasted on overpriced acquisitions, e.g. Palm, Autonomy, while 50,000 jobs are shed to cut costs.

Think a little harder about the HP you already have before you acquire any more companies. Be as thrifty with monies spent on M&A as you are with salaries and bonuses for employees.