Hewlett-Packard

8,760 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,300 Ratings

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment and work-life balance despite the continuous organizational changes

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great work-life balance and open management style

Cons

Jobs offered for expereienced new hires usually have better compensation packages

Really enjoy working here...however I cannot stay on as a contractor...I need a permanent position moving forward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I look forward to coming in to the office because of the great team of people and all the newest cutting edge technology that you get to work on...some of which is not even on the market as of yet.

Cons

Training for upcoming new classes is not offered and if it is it must be done on your off time and you still have to work your regular schedule. The office environment is very casual and most time quite enjoyable. Local Team Leads in the office are great to work with and very helpful professionally as well as on a personal level.

Ask what your folks what they would want occasionally...on paper a new idea may seem great but when put into practice it may not be the case...you need to listen to your team and see how practical and efficient the steps/changes made work for them. Also do not make it an environment where people are afraid to speak up or give input for fear they may be fired or let go just because they speak up and have suggestions.

Direction - We don't need No Direction

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A strong customer base waiting to see some technology leadership and true business partnering.

Cons

HP management still, after 24 months of lay-off and false starts of renewing their culture and direction, has not figured it out and no one is emerging to take a leadership role.

I think you need to find a strong industry business leader who wants to dominate the market. Taking shots at silo solution and technology areas does not demonstrate the corporate culture of a true industry leader. No one has the vision and demonstrated execution experience to dominate the market over the next 2-5 years. HP seems to keep losing customer confidence evidenced by many rip and replace of HP products.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People! Committed to getting the job done.

Current Employee - GPLM  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - GPLM in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

People are some of the best in the biz and best to work with, little back stabbing or territory marking.They have all the cards to make things happen, hardware, software, services. Company values are apparent in the work/life balance.

Cons

Using Deloitte and Touche to restructure the infrastructure. MBA's with no real work experience (other than consulting) make poor judgments as to the needs of the business. Cubicles are a pain, people need training in how to control their emotions whilst in phone meetings.

Rein in D&T and take ownership of the process. Create internal teams to review D&T work and implement what is needed.

Amazing managers and knowledgable coworkers.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

HP has some of the best benefits packages I've seen and their pay is top notch. Their time off policies are on-par with any organization, and employees are treated to a great deal of flexibility when the need for unscheduled time off arises. Management in my group is both professional and technically savvy, and promotion to the higher pay-grades (including management) is based on demonstrated technical merit rather than the Peter Principle. My experience with HP is that it is truly a professional organization and one I'm proud to say I worked for.

Cons

If you aren't in the decision making ranks of management, you may be dependent on your immediate management describing the higher-up's decisions and assigning a value to it that you can relate to. This was mostly done well, but no one likes organizational churn or goal churn.

Keep the company professional and keep building "awesome." I want to come work for you again.

I enjoyed my work experience at HP. I worked with a great group of dedicated people.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work ethic of the people there, their friendliness, and willingness to share information with others made the job fun. I enjoyed my job and contributed to company success.

Cons

Layoffs hover over the place. Can become distracted by the possibility of layoff.

Reduce the redundancies that drive up cost. Win the new contracts that will provide meaningful revenue on an on-going basis. Keep the business that is fundamental to success.

HP Work experience

Current Employee - Account Security Officer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Security Officer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging, growth opportunity, great team, years of cumulative experience, great work-life balance.

Cons

you are 1 small guppy in a 320K + ocean. It's tough to get noticed outside of your fish bowl.

very excellent. I liked working for hewlett packard but i had to leave when i got married and moved to another state

Current Employee - IT Program Manager  in  Conway, AR
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Conway, AR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good salary. Good Managerial staff. Good pay. Easy to ease in into the working environment. Friendly coworkers and just a really good company to work for.

Cons

better health benefits should be giving. Stop outsourcing jobs

Typical Big Company

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

With a big company, varied opportunities abound. Technology allows employees to work from anywhere. Compensation is reasonable. There are enough good people to make the work pleasant, and you can usually find someone to help point you in the right direction.

Cons

The flip side of a big company is bureaucracy, and HP has plenty. The constant layoff strategy is annoying as is the new push to get employees back in the office (it's hard to bottle the genie).

Drop the "bring people back to the office" crap. Accept the reality that nearly everyone can do their job from anywhere. That's why we move work to low cost regions of the nation and the world.

After 3 years at HP

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer V  in  Aguadilla, PR
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer V in Aguadilla, PR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work, life balance is perfect. Compensation is over average for location. Great facilities. Average benefits. Nice work environment.

Cons

Almost no possibility of professional growth. No incentives for people that do great work vs those that do average work. No clear path for development. Management is lost.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!