Hewlett-Packard Reviews

3.3
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
4,434 Ratings

Pros
  • work/life balance - they are flexible in working from home & working around your appointments/arrangements (in 1209 reviews)

• allow work from home from time to time (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not so great (in 211 reviews)

• New senior management is once again being hired from outside rather than being developed from within (in 319 reviews)

11,310 Employee Reviews

Just another mega-company

Current Employee - Engineer - Servers in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer - Servers in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Good environment. Lot's of opportunity to learn and move around and try new things. There's plenty to do.

Cons

In such a big company it's very difficult to shine or stand out. The rewards get trimmed down more and more every year. Just when you thought they ran out of ways to cheap-out on rewarding employees, they come up with some new and insulting "rewards system" which is just a new way to give less to employees. Bonuses have reduced to a trickle over the years along with raises.

Advice to Management

Reward your people. Stop getting greedier and craftier in inventing ways to not reward employees. Giving me "points" and merit badges (yes, this is how they actually reward us) doesn't help me pay my bills.

The HP Way

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

“When you come right down to it, the HP Way is really about trusting the integrity of the individual” but see below for more…

Cons

That’s why we drug test contractors. While at the same time brewing vats of coffee (contains the drug caffeine) for everyone twice a day!

Advice to Management

Make more printers. Sell the ink. This is the free razor, pay for the blades, model. Also, forget about making your own CPUs.

Tries hard

Former Employee - I Have No Idea What My Job Title Was in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - I Have No Idea What My Job Title Was in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

HP really tries to be a good company. It gives excellent training to what it calls its people managers and provides very decent benefits. It's got the best expense management system I've ever seen. Meg seems pretty sharp, certainly two steps above and a good bit sharper than Leo or Mark, and about twelve steps ahead of Carly who may be the only person who loses when cheating at solitaire.

Cons

The bureaucracy. HP is like some kind of bureaucratic zombie from a Japanese horror movie, devoid of all consciousness, doing whatever irrational things it chooses. You never know when it will strike and tear down your conference rooms, or if it will tear down and rebuild your desks three feet away from where they are now, or if it will provide paper towels for the beautiful new kitchen it gave you (yes, it spent a fortune on a kitchen and wouldn't buy paper towels). There is no arguing, no defense, nothing rational to speak to. You don't know who or what makes the decisions. I'm not kidding about this.

5. Technical Instructor

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, loved the people at locations around the world.

Cons

Mediocre managers more concerned with their status and promotability than their direct reports.

Advice to Management

Get trained, take courses, read books and look to mature companies for advise.

6. Customer Program/Project Manager III

Former Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Program/Project Manager in Miramar, FL

Pros

Big company with many clients with IT needs.

Cons

Very hard to get visibility for career growth

7. Custom Support Agreement Specialist

Former Employee - Custom Service Agreement Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Custom Service Agreement Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommute Great Pay Continuous on the job training Great learning experience

Cons

Little job security Continuous company reorganization

Advice to Management

My direct manager was awesome. He really cared about his team and joined in on resolving issues. He motivated his team and treated each employee with respect. My advice to upper level management is to get more managers like my direct manager.

8. Great Place to work

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, great career development, Atmosphere is great. A place where you can learn a lot. Flexible schedules and use of technology allow for a good work life balance.

Cons

Although pay is not bad it could be better. The facilities can be improved to accommodate properly all the employees.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing, the overall results of the long term strategy are showing results even in unfavorable conditions

9. Director III (HP Inc. PPS)

Former Employee - Director III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very professional environment. Great supporting resources and benefits. Great leaders with high integrity. Meritocracy exists, strong performers are rewarded and recognized. Most businesses have market leading positions, with sustainable competitive advantages.

Cons

The PC and print business are great, but those markets have not been growing for several years now. So the lack of growth is limiting opportunities. The pressure to create value by cutting costs in a declining business environment is taxing. The glory days seem to be in the past.

Advice to Management

Post split, HP Inc should loosen the hub location strategy and make your 2nd tier sites strategic again.

10. Americas Technical Consultant Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Large product offering to represent to customers (servers, storage, networking, and services.) Many opportunities to advance and forward career.

Cons

As any very large company, getting to the right person can sometimes be a challenge.

11. Technical Solutions Representative and Help Desk Analyst

Former Employee - Trainer and Instructor in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Trainer and Instructor in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working for HP. I am just sorry that the contract has ended.

Cons

I wish that there was a room for advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

My manager was amazing!

Showing 11,310 of 11,765 reviews