Hewlett-Packard

8,747 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,295 Ratings

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights

Was great place to work as Electronics Design Engineer in the mid 1980's.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

When I worked there as a EE in the mid 1980's, was a great place to work.

Cons

Now focussed on cost cutting, acquisitions, and much less on innovation.

Return to company that can dream new products and successfully bring them to market. Innovate!

Really enjoy working here...however I cannot stay on as a contractor...I need a permanent position moving forward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I look forward to coming in to the office because of the great team of people and all the newest cutting edge technology that you get to work on...some of which is not even on the market as of yet.

Cons

Training for upcoming new classes is not offered and if it is it must be done on your off time and you still have to work your regular schedule. The office environment is very casual and most time quite enjoyable. Local Team Leads in the office are great to work with and very helpful professionally as well as on a personal level.

Ask what your folks what they would want occasionally...on paper a new idea may seem great but when put into practice it may not be the case...you need to listen to your team and see how practical and efficient the steps/changes made work for them. Also do not make it an environment where people are afraid to speak up or give input for fear they may be fired or let go just because they speak up and have suggestions.

Direction - We don't need No Direction

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A strong customer base waiting to see some technology leadership and true business partnering.

Cons

HP management still, after 24 months of lay-off and false starts of renewing their culture and direction, has not figured it out and no one is emerging to take a leadership role.

I think you need to find a strong industry business leader who wants to dominate the market. Taking shots at silo solution and technology areas does not demonstrate the corporate culture of a true industry leader. No one has the vision and demonstrated execution experience to dominate the market over the next 2-5 years. HP seems to keep losing customer confidence evidenced by many rip and replace of HP products.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing managers and knowledgable coworkers.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

HP has some of the best benefits packages I've seen and their pay is top notch. Their time off policies are on-par with any organization, and employees are treated to a great deal of flexibility when the need for unscheduled time off arises. Management in my group is both professional and technically savvy, and promotion to the higher pay-grades (including management) is based on demonstrated technical merit rather than the Peter Principle. My experience with HP is that it is truly a professional organization and one I'm proud to say I worked for.

Cons

If you aren't in the decision making ranks of management, you may be dependent on your immediate management describing the higher-up's decisions and assigning a value to it that you can relate to. This was mostly done well, but no one likes organizational churn or goal churn.

Keep the company professional and keep building "awesome." I want to come work for you again.

Great People! Committed to getting the job done.

Current Employee - GPLM  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - GPLM in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

People are some of the best in the biz and best to work with, little back stabbing or territory marking.They have all the cards to make things happen, hardware, software, services. Company values are apparent in the work/life balance.

Cons

Using Deloitte and Touche to restructure the infrastructure. MBA's with no real work experience (other than consulting) make poor judgments as to the needs of the business. Cubicles are a pain, people need training in how to control their emotions whilst in phone meetings.

Rein in D&T and take ownership of the process. Create internal teams to review D&T work and implement what is needed.

I enjoyed my work experience at HP. I worked with a great group of dedicated people.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work ethic of the people there, their friendliness, and willingness to share information with others made the job fun. I enjoyed my job and contributed to company success.

Cons

Layoffs hover over the place. Can become distracted by the possibility of layoff.

Reduce the redundancies that drive up cost. Win the new contracts that will provide meaningful revenue on an on-going basis. Keep the business that is fundamental to success.

HP Work experience

Current Employee - Account Security Officer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Account Security Officer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging, growth opportunity, great team, years of cumulative experience, great work-life balance.

Cons

you are 1 small guppy in a 320K + ocean. It's tough to get noticed outside of your fish bowl.

very excellent. I liked working for hewlett packard but i had to leave when i got married and moved to another state

Current Employee - IT Program Manager  in  Conway, AR
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Conway, AR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good salary. Good Managerial staff. Good pay. Easy to ease in into the working environment. Friendly coworkers and just a really good company to work for.

Cons

better health benefits should be giving. Stop outsourcing jobs

OK company

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sales in HP can be good if you do not have a micromanager. The company values are very good, and you are given a lot of freedom. Salaries are good. Resources are good. Culture is stong. It has an open door policy where you can easily interact with different levels of managment. Cafeteria service are normally ok (depends on the site).
    Good recognition for the best. Easy to sell the products/solutions.

Cons

Old people in the sales department. No training given when you join. I keep on seeing new hired employees with no direction. There are resources the problem is finding them. You will only find your way by asking questions.
    I know of friends who have received intensive courses as soon as they join so that is why I am being critical here with the trainings. If you ask older employees they will always tell you HP is not what it used to be anymore.

Discuss career plans with the employees. Provide more trainings about resources, programs, even about the site!

Alright environment; Lots of benefits, but you have to be informed of them.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I had a friendly team (including boss) and others around me were just as friendly. There are a number of benefit programs that are good (not great though), but not everyone has been well informed of. There is also an attempt to make work more fun with the addition of clubs and events that employees could engage in. If located at one of the major sites, there are probably more fun events for employees than at smaller sites.

Cons

Unfortunately, even though there may be fun opportunities at work, workers are hesitant to take advantage of them. Not all employees understood all of the benefit programs they were receiving so they couldn't take advantage of them. Apparently on-boarding for new hires is not that great. The company, for valid reasons, is beginning to discourage tele-working, but this will make many unhappy. Disbelief that one could be productive from home is probably a factor, but that is something that should be up to that employee's direct manager to report.

Show employees' respect, make the effort to understand, and support them. Because my manager is all of these, I work with a good spirit. Who's managing matters! Leaders should be encouraging and supportive and not demanding. Oftentimes, there are complications beyond understanding and helping out fellow team members helps reduce stress in their lives --because everyone gets a lot of it.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!