Hewlett-Packard

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(2,610 ratings)

7,546 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance, though employees have been asked to report to offices now"
    in 934 reviews
  • "Flexibility is excellent and you can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done"
    in 580 reviews
Cons:
  • "This allowed for a reasonable work/life balance (to which much lip-service HP pays)"
    in 146 reviews
  • "Could not get a straight answer out of any senior management of the future of the division"
    in 293 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good before the crash.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbove average salary and decent benefits. Work was fun and you personally felt part of something important and relevant.

ConsWas a good place to work before the downsizing began. Employee morale is now at a new low and additionally "work-at-homes" are being pulled back in the office... not too long after they were told to work from home. The company functions like a drifting ship with no rudder. Management does not know how to get back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people... GOOD people. The manager should actually make the effort to help employees succeed instead of just going through the motions just to achieve their goals and objectives. A well running team that feels supported by their manager will excel and do whatever they can to make the manager appear impressive to his management chain. A manger that is too self-absorbed to care about the team will not get much dedication from the team.

On the right track.

Business Analyst III (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood training opportunities. Great people to work with.

ConsNot much room for advancement. With such a large employee base you can sometimes feel like another number.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the turn around going. Continue focus on recognition and rewards.

Technology Consultant

Technology Consultant IV (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. Great benefits.

ConsI don't find any cons working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great people, I love my work

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Seaside, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm surrounded by intelligent and unique people who contribute and care very much about the quality of their work. I have flexibility in my schedule. I have freedom to dictate how my applications evolve and I can innovate within certain constraints. I learn something new nearly everyday about the enterprise and the people with whom I work. I'm able to interact with others in a team setting that motivates me and makes me feel supported.

ConsThere is only so much room to grow because this is a specific project for HP with the government and positions are few. Also, the technology is very stable and therefore old.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a fine job. Just stop in and say hi to those who are twice-removed from your immediate purview. It makes us feel important. :)

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

ProsGood environment to work and reasonable work life balance

ConsDiversified teams and too much leadership changes

Great place to Work!

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

ProsGreat values, very friendly coworkers most of them ready and willing to help. Great work-life balance.

ConsLower management is still behind living the company values.

Great company & great culture

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

ProsHP has a great culture - people work hard, and really make a difference.

ConsOnly way to move up is to find a new job in the company - very few internal promotions

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on developing and promoting talent within the team rather than going out to other teams

Excellent company to work for

Senior Usability Engineer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for less than a year

ProsAt HP, your contributions are valued, good teamwork, focused on helping you develop your career path, great benefits, and competitive salary.. recent changes with the turnaround is making this matter to many people and the future of the company

ConsOld ways of doing things are hard to redefine, employees resistant to change makes adaptability to new methods and moving forward difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course for making it matter, assimilate the borgs, reward employees where deserved, get rid of the political mess and people-smashing ladder runners, hire knowledge, common sense, high integrity, and high ethics

Old HP glory days are not there anymore

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work and life balance.
Opportunity to invent lots of things.
Good HP way cultural.

ConsNot that much chance to get any promotion: The first year I worked at HP, I attend a retirement party for one process engineer who was in the same level for 30 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHP has lots of innovative invention and ideas, it takes upper level management's wisdom to decide what should be the next product. HP needs a person like Steve Jobs to lead.

it's pretty good to work here.

Sales Engagement (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbenefits with Insurance, good pay, overall flexibility

Consinternal communication. changes constantly, hard to bubble up speicifc issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont let finance people make sales decisions.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard Videos

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All 7,546 reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.