Hewlett-Packard Reviews

Reset
1.0
Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
  • work/life balance - they are flexible in working from home & working around your appointments/arrangements (in 1209 reviews)

• allow work from home from time to time (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not so great (in 211 reviews)

• New senior management is once again being hired from outside rather than being developed from within (in 319 reviews)

1,210 Employee Reviews

Does not value employees; prefers offshore

Current Employee - Information Systems in Little Elm, TX
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Little Elm, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good facilities, fitness center, pharmacy and clinic onsite.

Cons

Perusing a strategy to eliminate US citizen employees and replace them with H1N foreigners.

Advice to Management

You will never succeed if you treat your employees badly.

Senior Financial Analys

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro is that some managers allow you to work from home.

Cons

Extreme low morale from low pay, long hours, severe cost cutting, continual layoffs in US and offshoring of jobs to lower cost locations and high management turn-over,

Advice to Management

QUIT instead of trying to cut your to profitability by reducing expenses and US headcount.

Beware - HP Lays Off, Then Blacklists, Perfectly Good Employees (Cannot Even Return as Contractors)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to get laid off and enjoy taking un-employment benefits for a while, come to HP, they will lay you off eventually, near-guaranteed!

Cons

The lower management is often told, “You must give at least one of your employees a “D” grade.” (Implied: We need to prep for the next layoff). If lower management responds, “But none of my people deserve a “D”; they are all doing their jobs well.” Top management will respond, “Do it anyway”. (Implied: Else YOU will lose YOUR job! For the impertinence of trying to be a fair lower-level manager). HP is entirely fear-driven. Un-ethical workers will back-stab their way into preserving their jobs at the expense of yours… It happens all the time. Then HP will lay you off and black-list you forever (you cannot even return as an in-house contractor). Then to add insult to injury, they will then plead with the USA Congress, that they need more H-1B immigrant workers! Because they just can NOT find any qualified native workers at ALL!

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers (and their policies) whenever and wherever management hasn’t a single clue what REAL ethics means. Sad to say, that’s a TON of managers!

The “Jokers” at HP Tell “Jokes” About Your Incompetence… Management Turns Those Jokes Into Your Review!

Current Employee - Software Designer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Designer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like literally in-your-face “jokes” from your co-workers, about your lack of job skills, come to HP, and you can hear MANY such jokes! The only laughs I ever hear, in reaction to these jokes, are nervous or forced laughs. As I understand it, though, the management hears these jokes, most assuredly, even more frequently, from the jokers, than the joke-victims hear them. Victims are AKA newbies, contractors, and other skape-goats. After the management turns those jokes into performance reviews, though, there are some deep and heart-felt belly-laughs… As the jokers cash in their resulting larger paychecks!

Cons

HP has grading (performance reviews) “graded on the bell curve”, and some very lazy managers. The lazy managers primarily focus on currying favor with THEIR management, because that’s where their payola is. They can’t be bothered to do the hard work of tracking who (among their direct reports) makes a genuine effort to work as a team member, and who spends a lot of time tearing down, sabotaging, and making fun of their co-workers. Strivers gotta strive, you know, and one easiest way to pop up and shine, is to trash and push down, your co-workers… It’s the easy, sleazy way! And the easy way for management to write your review, is to simply turn all of those “funny jokes” into your performance review! If you want to survive for very long, you must concentrate on out-joking the jokers. Sad to say, only the longer-term on-the-job “permanent”-hire veterans, and / or management pets, are allowed to make these kinds of jokes… Newbies need not apply.

Advice to Management

If management really-really tried REALLY hard, to strain their puny and clueless brains, they might be able to figure out the following: Letting jokers write the performance reviews of their victims, so that the jokers can out-shine the skape-goats, is a serious conflict of interests. It surely is NOT in the long-term interests of HP! If this is too hard for management, to NOT turn performance reviews into a comedy routine, then the very least we could ask, is that management should quit their plagiarism! The jokes are old, stale, and boring! Write your own, original jokes! … Finally, also, HP should stop the constant “churn” of management. By the time that the results of this kind of mismanagement (as described here) manifests itself, and the truly meek, humble and sincere teamplayers are laid off (as I have seen happen to most of my friends), the only “institutional memory” that remains, about the results of the frankly downright evil office politics, resides in the heads of the evil-doers, who are left behind in the post-layoffs organization. The management can’t see it, because they are “churned” too often… The clueless managers just move on, to go off and ruin another organization, and only the jokers are left behind, to see the results of their jokes. These jokers are the LAST people who will point out to the management, what is really, truly going wrong.

Don't even think about working for HP

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only nice thing was the discount on HP laptops, until I bought one. Now I know why they are going under.

Cons

You are just a number to them...they will let you go in a heart beat...I am an old EDS employee that was bought by HP...it has been the worst experience since the day I became HP...so now I am being let go to a 3rd party contracting firm after 25 years...Not just me several HP accounts that they inherited when they purchased EDS.

Advice to Management

You had no idea what you purchased when you purchased EDS, you have ran it into the ground and now you have layoff good talented people to stay afloat and they are getting screwed.

7. (USA) HP Discriminates Against Older Workers… Systematically, as a Matter of Written Policy

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As my older laid-off friends have explained to me, HP has set themselves up “like a bowling pin”, with their avowed policies… If you are older, when laid off, a successful suit or threat of a lawsuit is a “slam dunk”; a near “sure thing”. So you can get some extra cash on your way out, if you are older. Why not? You have been black-listed already, anyway. Sad to say, this is not ANYWHERE near as lucrative (especially long-term) as an actual job. Whatever you do, do NOT move to Houston for HP work, expecting ANY semblance of job security. And when you are laid off (especially as any kind of older engineer), Houston HP jobs are off limits (by HP policy; to include in-house contractor work as well), and oil-field work is going nearly extinct (oil prices too low). In Houston, a laid-off engineer can become a Walmart greeter, and that’s about it.

Cons

The unwritten, hush-hush campaign has been long known in USA HP… Dump the (supposedly) over-paid older workers, and get some young, “fresh blood” infused. How does one demonstrate this, though? Especially as a systematic result of HP policies? Three simple steps of logic: 1) Layoffs are nearly random, as far as goes, who gets chosen to be laid off, 2) The longer you stay at HP (the older you are), the higher your probability of having gotten laid off, and 3) Once laid off, you can never return. This last one is the clincher… Without this policy, if you were free to return to your old job at HP (or to get a different one at HP), even if you are older, then the argument loses a LOT of steam. But, HP has set you up! AND set themselves up, as well! … In more detail, 1) HP will set you up with a “D” grade before laying you off, to pre-justify themselves. Then they will claim that your “D” is a totally factual matter, like the law of gravity… Not a subjective and / or cook-the-books matter, like “Does this dress make me look fat, yes or no?” But any jury (with jury members who have worked a day in their lives, at a real job, with bosses other than themselves) can see straight through this. If your job performance was able to be objectively measured by a computer program, HP would have moved to that cheaper model, a LONG time ago, believe you me! Job evaluations are subjective and near-random, period. Also, under “bell curve” grading, your co-workers have incentive to make you look bad… Your “D” might partially reflect your poor performance, perhaps, sometimes… But it often more-so reflects that you were not as ruthless as your co-workers! … 2) Compounded with 3) The longer you stay, the higher the probability that you are laid off and sucked into the “black hole” of the HP blacklist. Fresh, young college grad? Zero probability! Add a few decades (age), and cumulative probability will get you, sooner or later! Then you are “off limits” to being hired by HP, for having aged too long at your HP job! THERE is your “slam dunk” case!

Advice to Management

Get rid of your “black-list”… It exposes you to expensive lawsuits, while you are doing nothing but hurting HP, by excluding some very capable, sober-minded, and responsible older workers.

Director

Pros

Huge, International, Benefits (although they get less and less every year)

Cons

Brain dead leadership, lack of follow through, utterly unable to commit to a course of action and stick to it.

Advice to Management

Quit lining your pockets and take care of your people. The reason senior leadership is leaving in in mass is due to the complete lack of respect for innovative thinking. The status quo is killing HP.

Hewlett Packard does not put employees #1

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Fair health benefits Talented and hardworking co-workers

Cons

No/tiny wage increases or bonuses. Constant layoffs - latest measure is to not give out severance, but force some people to take contractor jobs with a partner company that provide IT services. Meg has already mentioned moving jobs offshore. Management is poor and ineffective - no effort made to help employees maximize their skills. Poor communication from the top - its always "just do it!!!" Those that are left must take up the slack, with 50-60 work weeks - no home/work life balance

Advice to Management

Stop taking it out on employees, if products are not making theirs # i's - Execs should take a demerit in their salaries. Its going to be hard to make employees work even harder, when their spirit and devotion to HP, is being killed by each of these measures to cut costs...

Stay AWAY from HP

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers and my immediate manager.

Cons

Fear of constant layoffs. Morale is so very low, very hard to focus and get anything done. Been here 6 yrs and received 1 raise and I was told I was lucky, the raise was less than 1%. They expect you to work all hours of the day and night because we have teams across the globe, so many time zones...I have seen too many talented people be let go, and no matter how experienced or inexperienced, if you are not on a billable acct...see ya.

Advice to Management

My husband owns a small business. He treats his employees very well. They get bonuses often, gifts, regular salary raises, good benefits. Any of them would jump off of a cliff. They will even work on the weekends without being asked. HP treats their employees like a necessary evil. Morale is so incredibly low, I will be surprised if this place is in business in another 2 years. Oh yea, 1 more thing. FIRE MEG WHITMAN, she is Carly Fiorina all over again, only worse. If you want a productive company, TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES and treat us with a little respect. I am giving you 1 star only because it won't let me go any lower.

Don't

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible time schedule because you never have any real work to do.

Cons

Way too much middle management. Terrible software and hardware for employees. No relationship building outside of work. No real work being done.

Advice to Management

Cut out all of the middle management and strive for innovation instead of complacency.

Showing 1,210 of 11,879 reviews