Hewlett-Packard

9,924 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,906 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

Director

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company with history, 300000 employees

Cons

Struggling to resize, more restructuring coming

none

Only managed to stay during the probation period, couldn't take it to stay longer.

Current Employee - GSD Service Agent in Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Current Employee - GSD Service Agent in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good salary, nothing else unfortunately.

Cons

Bad work surroundings, no proper training.

Listen to your employees.

HP fattens Senior Executives while firing workers

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of HP are the employees. I have learned much over the years and HP has been good to me overall. Once was a great company but going down hill. HP needs to do more than cut costs and blame the earnings misses on foreign exchange fluctuations.

Cons

It has been so disappointing to see our Senior Executives selling hundreds of thousands of stock options totaling millions of dollars when most employees cannot earn any stock options. One of our Executives recently sold over 700,000 shares for over $30M. Most of all of our senior executives have been exercising stock options over the past 2-3 months. What does that say about their faith in the company spit? HP has been buying back shares of stock and then giving it all to senior executives. While this past year bonuses were low and there were very small salary increases that don't even come close to the cost of living increases. HP needs to revamp all of their compensation plans from top to bottom.

You've stated that 65% of your revenue is outside the US. This is what happens when you move all your jobs to lower cost countries. Our group has been cut to the bones with only 8% of our team being in the US and 92% being in other countries. Bring back jobs to the US. I am leaving HP as there is no career path for me in the US and I don't want to move to Mexico..

software Enginner

Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems/Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Being unemployed for any length of time is a blow to our egos, but being back in the workforce may be just the confidence-booster needed to help find a new job in your field

Cons

No surprise here. Survival jobs do not pay the big money that you may have been getting in your last job, so you will still need to make drastic cuts to your budget and lifestyle

Please improve training to new hires

A company who lives in the past

Current Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - ITO Service Delivery Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great Infrastructure. A big brand. Work from home is a good benefit if you find a project which allows it.

Cons

Top leadership is directionless. Service Delivery managers used to be great, but not so much now. First and second level managers only blame the higher management for the bad or non existent salary hikes. Most of the employees would not have seen a salary hike for years. Now the performance indicators are just being raised to find reasons not to appreciate the employees. Throughout the year, we get to hear that certifications are mandatory, But by chance we do complete a certification, we are told that only the individual is benefited, and is not a part of our performance. We have always been told that the company doesn't make money. Employees are asked to work for 24 to 36 hours straight.. Only alternate weekends are holidays. Absolutely no work life balance.

Please make HP the place it was a few years ago. Please treat employees with the respect they deserve.

The wrong company to work for

Former Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

A/C warehouse
    Lots of Internet use

Cons

No money
    No appreciation
    No recognition

Learn how to manage

Was a good company but now notorious for hire and fire policy

Current Employee - Product Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It started with a company with trust and respect for their employees when business was doing well. Its a company with fair weathered friends.

Cons

Was a big company now notorious for disrespectful treatment of employees. Management tells lies to get things to go their way. When they cannot get their way, they target employees for termination. Class action lawsuits against HP management are in order.

Telling lies to steer the ship in the right direction is a breach of standards of business conduct and should be dealt with in the court of law.

Not good

Current Employee - Process Associate in Pune (East Timor)
    Current Employee - Process Associate in Pune (East Timor)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good environment your the boss bad politics

Cons

Lots of work load bad politics short deadlines not treating as employee treating as slave

Not a company for sales people

Current Employee - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Other than broad name recognition, there is no reason to work here if you are a strong sales professional.

Cons

HP is an example of "too big to succeed". The company is bloated, business processes are poor, an innovation is rare. But the single biggest issue is that HP's compensation system is archaic. Brought over from the Compaq acquisition, the system was actually deployed at DEC in the '90s, when selling servers was much lower volume. The result, you never actually believe the commission reports. And when you find errors and submit claims, the first defense by the company is to decline it (a low level analyst in Costa Rica does this), then you start the battle to get a claim approved. So if you are used to killing it in sales, and expect to be paid, be prepared to spend hours each week tracking progress of orders, crediting to you, and finally getting paid.

The cobblers children syndrome (no shoes) is not an excuse anymore. Time to flush the entire compensation group, outsource it to a company that has modern technology and provide confidence to the sales teams that they are being paid correctly. By the way, MyComp reporting is lipstick on a pig.
    And stop rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! Destroying the EAM role three years ago, only to resurrect it this year makes HP look bipolar. Do you really not know how to focus attention on your top accounts? This constant pattern of bringing "new and aggressive" sales management to "shake us up" is getting old. The reason people leave within five years of hire is because HP does not present itself as a well run organization where careers can grow, and anyone with talent can move to many other companies and be paid more for a better work environment.

Power Corrupts. Need Proof? Take Opening HP ETD 1317005 or HP ETD 1286505.

Former Employee - ETD Eng (Verilog Code Writer Etc )
    Former Employee - ETD Eng (Verilog Code Writer Etc )

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Writers and thinkers throughout the ages have told us that excessive power in the hands of those who are not wise or mature enough to handle it, leads to troubles, and even to disasters. Power-lovers become cruel and punitive. Lord Acton told us that “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Friedrich Nietzsche cautioned us that we should “'Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn gave us a long and powerful relevant quote that is too long to fully repeat here, but (Google this) contains a sort of summary, “In the intoxication of youthful successes I had felt myself to be infallible, and I was therefore cruel. In the surfeit of power I was a murderer, and an oppressor.”
         Still not convinced? Prefer science over the “wisdom of the sages”? Then Google this: “Power's punishing impact: Power linked to tendency to punish harshly”. Modern science (as is summarized by sciencedaily.com and others) confirms the wisdom of the sages and of the ages! In summary: Power makes many of us smugly self-righteous, so that we see everything as black and white, and makes us eager to punish those who we are firmly convinced, w/o any doubt, are slackers and/or wrong-doers.
         STILL not convinced?! Then here is your good news: HP Houston ETD openings 1317005 and 1286505 may be available to you, and serving in one of these openings is a sure-fire way to have your “superiors” teach you the above lessons good, hard, and well!
         In all honesty, the other good news is, your HP bosses will have the legal power to merely terminate your HP career, not to terminate your life (As Alex. Solz. once did as an army Captain in the USSR’s forces). Life will go on. Count your blessings…

Cons

The bad news is, upper management at HP ETD Houston fits, and fits very well, under the above descriptions. The toxic work environment near-guaranteed to face he or she who takes the job slot 1286505 (as a worker bee) has been well documented at glassdoor… “HP ETD 1286505” makes a good “Google” search-string, with or w/o the quotes (more hits, but more garbage, shows up w/o the quotes). ETD opening 1317005 is apparently for 1st-level management; not for a worker-bee. So at first glance, one might think a 1st-level manager is not quite as vulnerable to a toxic work environment as a worker-bee… But not so fast! I can speak to 1317005 as well as to 1286505… In the former case, more subjectively and in less detail than in the latter, yes; but no less firmly, in my own mind, at least. Hear me out…
         Partial proof, part 1, consists simply of the fact that employees (management as well as worker bees) have recently wisely fled the assembly of ETD plus other groups falling under the same upper management that I once worked under. The rats are deserting the sinking ship (“ship” being ETD and associated groups under the same umbrella). They have been smart enough to bail out for sunnier climates at HP… But be warned, this is well-nigh impossible to do, once you get essentially a “D” in your performance review! “D” means you have been tagged to be laid off next go-around, and no other HP boss will take you on-board, because once one HP “Manager Has Spoken” His or Her mind about your failings, all who have been anointed as HP Managers will believe every word of it (they have access to your reviews), and no HP Manager EVER makes mistakes of judgment, in the collective minds of HP Managers! Also note, once you get a “D”, working extra hard, pulling over-time, giving up your vacations, and finally pulling ahead of schedule, is all a total waste of your time and energy, and it merely makes it easier for HP to lay you off (since they are short-sighted and only notice that there will be no pain for having lost you for the next few months, since you pulled ahead of schedule for a little while). Who cares about ½ year from now?!?! And then you will essentially be black-balled against ever getting a (supposedly) “permanent” HP job again. So do NOT pull up stakes and re-locate to Houston for ANY HP job, expecting any kind of semi-real job security!
         Partial proof, part 2, is way subjective, to be honest… It is a “gut feel” or “hunch” I got from a high-ranking Manager who lords it over ETD and other groups, as I served as “walking dead” for 2 weeks, wrapping up loose ends after being notified that I was being laid off. This Manager stared and glared at me in a passing-by moment during these 2 weeks. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to reading social or body-language clues, but there are those few fleeting moments, from time to time, that I am gifted with essentially “reading the minds” of others, by their body language alone. This was one of those moments. I mean, bear with me for the whole context here, but I served for 4 years in an environment in which my immediate supervisor never ONCE spent even a few seconds, side-by-side with me, as I wrote Verilog code (which he knew nothing about), or as I debugged my code in the lab, using tools he knew nothing about. His reviews of my performance were based entirely on the inputs he got from a mini-clique of engineers who served supposedly “beside” me on the org chart, but in reality served “above” me, since they were longer-term job-veterans in their slots, compared to me. Boss-man served as puppet to his lead engineer(s), basically… Lead engineers get better reviews by making you, their newbie co-workers, look bad. Under HP’s “forced distribution” performance ratings, “you want to make yourself look GOOD? Make your co-workers look BAD!” And upper management can NOT get a handle on this simple “un-expected consequence” of their short-sighted policy, because… Because power corrupts, basically, and they cannot or will not see this. VOW (Voice Of the Workforce) comments or direct comments along these lines, to your HP management? All ignored… VOW serves for nothing other than to give you the illusion that you are being listened to.
         Anyway, my fleeting “mind reading moment” where I read the mind of An Anointed One, a member of Upper Management, as He stared and glared at me, a member of the walking dead, who He knew by NOTHING other than what He’d heard from a small clique of my co-workers (whose interest lay in making me look bad, so that they could look good) passed up through several layers of management… He knew me by nothing other than my face and the name tag on my cube, and His Layoff List… He glared at me smugly and full of self-assurance, in the same vein as the sages of the ages, and now modern science, tells us what we should know about those who are corrupted by more power than they can handle. This man KNEW I was a low-life slacker, who deserved to be laid off! He enjoys laying “slackers” off! This, despite the fact that He knew diddly squat about me, other than hearsay about hearsay cubed!
         This is the same man who has repeatedly pronounced, when confounded with questions like “HOW do I climb the org chart to reside in a Lordly Position like Yours?”, with, “Credibility, accountability, and responsibility … Collect these three, and you can climb the org chart.” (Near-verbatim translated… But I have personally heard him say it at meetings). Never ONCE did I hear him say, “And for those who would try to climb the org chart by simply accusing your co-workers of not having any of these things, I say to you, we in management are ON to these kinds of tactics, and it will not fly with us.” I never heard such caveats from this clueless, power-drunk, self-assured man.
         So yes, much of this would never stand in court… Way too subjective. But I saw what I saw, and I know what I know. Ignore what I say, at your own peril! Some day soon, modern science will march on, and prove yet MORE ancient wisdoms… Including such simple sayings as “nasty stuff flows downhill” and “the worm-laden apple does not fall far from the worm-laden tree”.

The very highest levels of HP management needs to look at the umbrella of management around ETD and associated groups, and de-worm the apple tree, starting at the very top of the tree.