Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,404 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,108 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights
8,404 Employee Reviews

ok

Systems/Software Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgreat people and colleagues
    new managements
    new directions
    opportunities

Consmanagements lost track of your values and contributions

Advice to Senior Managementstay in touch with remote developers

Great year and awesome experiance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational, awesome co-workers, great benefits, great work culture.

Consbeing remote i was not able to see my co-workers, but it was great.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be some onsite quarterly meetings.

HP is a great place to work

Partner Business Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCEO has changed the direction and outlook of the company making it a positive work environment.

ConsHP is such a large company that business segments are still very independent of each other making it challenging to work through the bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to Grow

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFantastic learning environment where career advancement is possible.

ConsYou have to be tough, go for it and work hard to get that advancement, but that is true anywhere you go. If you are looking for an easy ride you're not going to find at any company. So if you are going to work hard, this is the place to do it!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Company

ProsGreat culture and processes. Good Management , staff . Good Projects

ConsCan get lost in the crowd as company is huge

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young crowd

Great with good work/life balance

Network/Storage (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLife/work balance is good. My manager is really nice and rewards his employees with dinners for their hard work. There are health plans available. Holidays are paid time off.

ConsIt takes a while to transition into HP. I was not able to login into HP corporate network until a week after I was hired. That was my only negative experience.

Excellent

ProsGreat people and management to work with. Excellent work environment

ConsDont like working 2nd Shift

All the pros and cons typical of a large business

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Reasonably generous healthcare and benefits
    - Opportunities for lateral growth
    - Genuinely working to improve
    - Most people are supportive, willing to pitch in and accomplish goals

ConsMost of these are typical of a large company and so not necessarily cons so much as just something to expect. You're looking at HP, after all, not a lean little startup.

- Things take time: bureaucracy, processes, platforms, and resources can slow down the pace of development. It helps maintain consistency, legality, and quality of content, but it does mean you shouldn't expect new collateral to have a half day turnaround, for example.
    - As with any company comprised of thousands of offerings both acquired and home grown, there are myriad ways of going about the same thing between teams. Even figuring out which teams to involve in projects or requests can be a challenge.
    - Frequent organizational restructuring: during my time at HP, drastic reorgs have taken place as often as once a year. These majorly impacted head count, daily processes and project responsibilities. Fairly typical of a large company that's continually trying to find that magical organizational outline, but still challenging. Expect to constantly reestablish and streamline efficient ways to get stuff done with new teams and people.

Project/Program Manager

ProsVery diverse in opportunities that are available. Clients are always demanding and HP steps up to the task of meeting and exceeding their expectations. Most individuals are very hard working and do a great job.

ConsVery large and can be bureaucratic. Too many manager in the chain of command that are disconnected with the work. Individuals can get lost in the shuffle between opportunities if not well networked because span of control at the lowest levels of management can be very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and empower your mid level leaders to do the right thing and make the right decisions. Stop second guessing their judgments and opinions. This process causes too much rework and expense.

Great people to work with

IT Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI enjoyed my time at HP due to the people I worked with, very positive and helpful. No one will leave you hanging.

ConsManagement constantly sends mixed messages. "Our people are very important... sorry we are laying you off." "We are hitting our numbers and on the right track... due to budget cuts we won't pay for equipment that you need at home to do your job." And so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business climate is tough, everyone understand that, but when we aren't firing on all cylinders don't take it out on those doing what they are told to do. Look at your management that is making these decisions.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!