Hewlett-Packard

9,490 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,698 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

Resiliency in Overcoming

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is pushing through to bounce back and be a mover and shaker in the technology arena once again. Great Benefits, well structured clear organizational trees. The brand name is still recognizable and strong.

Cons

Perks are not that significant. Emails could be a little overwhelming because you get them from all over.

If you provide better employee discounts, employees would buy more!

Not what it used to be...

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HP used to be one the best names in tech. Free ink, HP Services shutdown (if you use your vacation days) company provided cell and laptop. Managers (some) will fight for employees. Benefits are great.

Cons

HP has bloated to a massive, watered down, money losing giant. Getting a pay raise is harder than finding water the Sahara. HR is a giant, disorganized mess. "Local" projects aren't reimbursed for gas and food, even if they were 45 minutes away. Slowly getting rid of working from home culture. LAY OFFS, and not just a few people - 20.000+ all at once. Company losing money fast, and it is reflected in the work environment and employee moral. COST CUTTING measures are extreme.

Easier said than done, but figure out a way to turn around the company's financial performance.

Good Place to work overall

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a lot of new products and initiatives that change from time to time. That is a good thing in technology. The benefits are good but nothing great. The people around you are usually good and fun to work with. You can study or learn other departments through lots of training and self-study.

Cons

It is hard to say, but moving around within HP seems to be more difficult and political to some degree. Over thought processes and lack of fostering new leaders is a big downside that needs to change.

Look at growing the next level of leadership. Fully utilize the talent around you before looking outside the walls for filling positions.

Decent Company..

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Remote work environment, work hours were great!

Cons

Management seemed detached and unwilling to listen to input from front line employees. Employees were asked to review themselves due to the lack of interaction with their actual managers which in my view doesn't help anyone. They ended up laying off strong workers and keeping sub-par performers.

If you have subordinates, please assess them honestly yourself so they will know what their strengths and weaknesses are from your point of view.

No real opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The job itself is quite simple, and some of the tools provided are useful. The benefits are not bad, and fairly comprehensive, as far as I can tell. The people are good to work with.

Cons

There are currently no bonuses or raises being awarded. It is very difficult to receive updated tools and equipment, usually blamed on a lack of money. There is little to no warning given when someone is let go, nor is there any reason given to those who remain. Also, while some of the tools are effective, there are others that are cripplingly bad, but could be improved if we just had a way to submit suggestions.

Talk to your subordinates more, and try to understand what we need. Listen to our suggestions for improvement, and then implement them when possible. Give us the feeling that you'll back us up should we need to push back when a client does something foolish. Let us know the reasons why people leave so that we can avoid what they did, if possible. Give more recognition when someone achieves something.

I would recommend the company to a friend

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good overall experience

Cons

Compensation benefits are below the current market

A decent company to work for

Current Employee - Technology Consultant III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant III in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Work from home, a good salary, good benefits

Cons

Having to worry if you have a job whenever the contract you are working goes away. I work for HP, but they put us to work in other corporations under a contract. The contract can last for years at a time, but when the contract runs out and the client doesn't resign, you and the entire staff are left to fend for yourself to find another job internally at HP.

VERY GOOD COMPANY!

Current Employee - Call Centre Agent in Dalian, Liaoning (China)
    Current Employee - Call Centre Agent in Dalian, Liaoning (China)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

good benefits and culture, everybody so nice. I left because my husband relocated and I have to follow him.

Cons

everything good except it is night shift work

Account Representative

Current Employee - Account Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very GREAT company to work for, great benefits!!

Cons

have to be a road warrior!

Good people, tring to change

Current Employee - SQA III in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - SQA III in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment with very motivated intelligent colleges. There is a good management style in the area I work which is very human in it's outlook. A better work/life balance than I have experienced in many places. There is a real push to embrace Open Source and some push toward agile methods but the agility is hampered by size, geography, and the need to re-train management in its principles.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be a bit of 'drift' or loss of direction. It can tke long periods of time to reach a decision on matters. Sometimes there is a sense that management does not know what to do with the talent it has. Salaries are lagging. Need a better definition of what the company really is, a vision. There is an inherent impedance between Agile development geographic distance. Try to get project teams to be less widely flung.

Embrace the roots of the company and a commitment to quality. Work to understand Agile methods and how to get closer to the customers. Learn Agile and continue to embrace Open Source. Know the customer and help the programmers, QA, and others get to know the customer better.