Hewlett-Packard

9,491 Reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman
3,699 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance due to flexibility of work schedule but that's about it (in 1209 reviews)

• Being able to work from home is also great so you are never behind in work (in 684 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 211 reviews)

• You can hear people want to fix issues but the senior management just doesn't get it (in 319 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Remarketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Remarketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at HP for 34 years and have enjoyed almost every job. Starting as a janitor and then moving into manufacturing, HP encouraged me to pursue my education, as well as paying 100% of my college tuition and books. After graduating from SJSU the following are a series of jobs at HP: Commodity Buyer, Inside Sales Rep, Direct Marketing Rep, Account Manager, Program Manager, Operations Manager, Strategic Supply Chain & Development Mgr., Sales and Remarketing, and now US Marketing Mgr.. The company has changed over the years and I'm not sure if the same opportunities still exist.

Cons

More changes with HP splitting once again. I've been asked to move from California to Houston, TX., otherwise I'll need to find another job. I've decided to stay in California and look internally and externally for new opportunities. What's great is that due to the split I was given 6 months to either find another job. If nothing is found HP will give me one week for every year of service. Not too bad.

Invent and delight customers. I sincerely wish HP the best and a long future.

Decent Employment experience for the company size

Former Employee - Information Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and training opportunities. Good work-life balance and personal growth opportunities

Cons

Hard to gauge your worth in an ever-changing management environment. Culture a little flat.

Make first line managers more accountable.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours for most job categories - great for a young family with kids.

Cons

May have to put in time from home after hours to meet deadlines.

Need attention on retaining high-performing employees via competitive compensation.

It has been a great learning!

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, hard work, great manager and mentor and good pay!

Cons

Not really any, besides it can be hard for them to find enough of a workload for you!

Presales

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant III in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Consultant III in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many solutions to choose from for your customer. Great support from engineering teams.

Cons

adoption of latest and greatest features can be very slow, due to thorough testing. Competition will test at customer sites, so we had a few features that took years to make very clean. While its a good thing, for a company this large, new features were slow to market. Commissions are lower when there are so many layers of upper management.

Great

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Friendly environment. Great boss's

Cons

No cons. Great place to work for

Great company with some issues

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, HP way (now that it's coming back), growing company (finally), reasonable work vs life balance (except in some units), CEO Meg Whitman lets us do our job and invests (the split is irrelevant and even welcome, we were already different companies, more splits may be needed. Great company for a long career, with possibilty to explore different areas and countries

Cons

Avoid ES. That is not HP.
    Terrible CEOs and board (except perhaps Meg)
    Mid level meddling, micromanaging management

Train the managers
    Drastically reduce number of fully dedicated managers. Trust senior employees and use systems

Wasn't the same company I hired into years ago. This boiled frog finally jumped out

Former Employee - Supply Chain Senior Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Senior Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Decent benefits
    Big company meant lots of problems to solve...interesting work content

Cons

Management competed internally with each other. Very unproductive for employees...and customers
    Salaries lower than average
    Pushed too many times to work above and beyond, including both early mornings and late evenings
    Too hierarchical. Over the years management stopped listening to lower level employees for input. They stopped listening to customers, too

1) The bully culture under Hurd was still alive when I left. Departments were encouraged to compete with each other, execs kicked each other under the table. The organization should first and foremost be focused on customers, competing instead in the marketplace
    2) HP does a horrible job of talent development. Leadership potential is not well cultivated internally, which means HP hires externally for many exec positions. Internal promotions often do not come with a raise and sometimes the promotion has a waiting period due to non-compete rules for internal talent. Makes no sense, as a best practice people should be encouraged to move within the company to where they can best contribute.

This is a great company before the founders passed.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Excellent people before the mergers.

Cons

No compensation of off hours

No advice, they know it all already. LOL.

HP Technical Account Manager

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Beautiful location, modern facilities. Ability to telecommute on occasion when necessary.
    Regular reviews for yearly salary increase based on performance.
    Managers were friendly, organized, and helpful albeit mores w non-technical concerns.
    Training in current technologies relative to position.

Cons

-Pay wasn't very competitive
    -Seating and work areas for all staff (except Managers) are 'open' and do not offer any sort of barrier for noise. If someone is on the phone next to you, you are pretty much involved in the conversation as well whether you like it or not.
    -No logic to sectioned areas/groups so that you don't necessarily know what group is where in the building or who performs what functions.
    -Very little cross-team communication (except if they stand up and shout across the open work areas).
    -Found very few staff were responsive to appeals to discuss insight into methodologies and common practices at the non-managerial level.
    -Overall very cliquey, the seating attempts to nurture familiarity and cooperation but in the end in many cases simply proved annoying and bred resentment.
    -Terrible 'on-call' rotation and escalation process (there wasnt a clear escalation process).

Foster more mentoring to newer employees and those new to HP methodologies/processes/procedures.
    Develop Knowledge Bases that are more accurate or that are kept current.
    Clearly designate areas and identify staff functionality.
    Foster interaction between departments that often deal with issues on technologies that intersect.