Hewlett-Packard

3.0 8,376 reviews

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman

Meg Whitman

(3,100 ratings)

Pros
  • Also decent work/life balance when compared to other companies in this industry (in 1045 reviews)

• Flexible hours & You can work from home/remote as long as the job gets done (in 626 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was horrible: meetings early in the morning or late at night (in 176 reviews)

• Mid to senior management each day you get more surprised with how incompetent they are (in 313 reviews)

More Highlights
8,376 Employee Reviews

"I don't know what a technical writer does. I assume secretarial work?" - My Boss

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

ProsMy co-workers are amazing, and having Hewlett-Packard on my resume doesn't look too shabby.

ConsMy boss is a pure micro-manager, which would be tolerable if she had a clue what a technical writer is actually for. She hires people and then tells us we don't look like we keep busy enough so we may need to lay some people off. She's also extremely closed-minded with a sense of entitlement that she doesn't keep to herself. "You and I hang out with a different class of people," or, "Aren't you people supposed to be afraid of water?" It's also sad to know that she isn't really required to understand policy. Two weeks in and I solved the mystery of salary-exempt sick time that other employees had prior to my starting here tried to explain to her. Also, I was hired with the promise of a raise when I finished my masters and of performance bonuses around Christmas. After starting here, I learned there aren't funds for any such compensation. It may be HP but my current employment here is going no where.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn policy! Don't throw your weight around, especially when you can't even remember when or to whom you've approved time off. Don't expect everyone to maintain serious face all the time. That sort of micro-management leads to stress, depression, and suicide.

Vision of the company is lost

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsSome leaders are actually good and some work teams are good too

ConsWorklife balance is not there
    Overall focus of the company is lost

Pleasant

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsCompetitive compensation package. Colleagues are intelligent and enjoyable to work with.

ConsConstant executive turmoil. Constant internal focus on non-productive issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut all efforts towards investing in business and products for customer. Do not put excessive attention on controlling employees' method of completing assigned workloads. Do not micromanage. Employees at this level should be treated as professionals with advanced degrees as they have the drive and self-motivation and self-control to support this company with great success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential, but still lacking

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMajority of employees are great to work with

Mid management works hard to support employees

Many different roles available

ConsBenefits are decreasing

Lack of trust that employees will do the right thing

Very HP centric, still not customer centric - difficult to navigate both internally and externally

New career opportunities are hard to come by and if you do get a promotion you will not get an equitable increase in pay

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul HR - you should not disregard internal talent and pay internal employees less than an external candidate

Do not take away work from home, this mantra of "we are losing productivity allowing people to work from home" is just not true. I have done both and I see a much larger productivity decrease in the office than I do with those that work from home. Just because you can't physically see the person, does not mean they are not productive.

Truly support career growth, that does not mean providing generic online training and mentor forums. Really develop people. Provide opportunities to expand career.

17 years and out the door

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Good people (at least the normal humans that you work with in the trenches--once you become a manager, they take away your humanity card).

ConsNo loyalty to employees. No ability to move up (in the US, anyways). No tuition reimbursement. They are forcing employees to come back into the office even if your entire team is spread throughout the world. Middle and upper management consists of bean counters who have no clue about innovation and cutting edge technology. HP is getting rid of all their in-house engineers and is acquiring starts up's because they no longer know how to innovate from within. This might be a good long term strategy, but it's sad to see the company that started innovation in silicon valley simply become another behemoth bureaucratic bloated acquisition engine.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that you've outsourced all of your engineering to Chinese companies, good luck counting those beans!

Improving but still bureaucratic and shedding long-term employees quickly

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

Prossmart engaged co workers and teams; new technology; training available; decent salaries

Conslong hours getting longer since they keep cutting headcount; expectations to just work and work is burning people out

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the more people you cut the more workload is put on the remaining employees - many of whom are getting burnt out and not feeling appreciated and looking to leave. A lot of experience and talent is flowing out the doors in the past few months.

Great products with poor management

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood compensation and benefit package

Consunorganized and too report heavy. Poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if communication was positive and everyone was on the same CRM platform. The Autonomy division is a train wreck.

IT Developer/Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMultionational Company with many branches

ConsLots for work daily issues occur

Advice to Senior Management-

It was fun while it lasted

Product Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood work-life balance. Used to be family-friendly, but now they are enforcing rules that dont make sense

ConsBad compensation model, uninspired/demoralized workforce. Way too many layoffs. Always seems to be in turmoil.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much, except dont screw up anymore

Good place to work, old fashioned corporate working style

ProsGreat people, good career growth opportunities

ConsSalary increases are small and take a long time, culture is shifting back to work at the office and not telecommute which impacts greatly work-life balance and is counter-productive to many roles when you work in a global company

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!